Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 3 2013, 03:21 PM   #16
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: Time changed... When will it end.

I actually prefer daylight saving time, and hate standard time. I think we should switch to daylight saving time permanently.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 03:21 PM   #17
Spider
Dirty Old Man

I think we should eliminate time zones through out the entire planet. It would always be the same time and date no matter where you are. What difference does it make if your clock says it's midnight or 7AM in the morning? Most people are still going to get up and go to work or school during the daylight hours. What time it is, is just a way to organize activity.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 03:41 PM   #18
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Anyone is free to set his clock to a standard global time. It's just that people can't agree on where on the globe the benchmark spot should be.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 03:53 PM   #19
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I think the whole "I hate DST" thing is a lot of hyperbole from people. Is it really THAT much of a bother to reset your clocks twice a year? Especially considering most modern devices (phones, TVs, cable boxes, computers) probably do that stuff automatically? The only clock I had to change was the one on my alarm clock and that's because it's an old one. I've seen newer ones with a simple switch that makes the adjustment. Sure, if I bothered to set my stove or microwave clocks I'd have to adjust those too but neither is a bother to do.

The biggest problem is just adjusting to the actual time difference which takes a few days. Which makes "standard time" difficult to adjust as it now gets dark at 6:00 instead of 7:00.

Which is why I think if we're to stick on a time it should be Daylight Time.

I agree that in our modern society I don't think it makes much of a difference (I think studies have shown the energy savings is minimal to non existent) beyond "trying to keep the active hours in the day time."

But, feh, whatever. I got that hour of sleep last night.
Old November 3 2013, 05:17 PM   #20
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

It's not a huge imposition to reset four or five clocks, but in the end, it's just not necessary. I mean, what's the point of DST in the first place? What good does it actually do? Is it worth it? How does it make life more efficient?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 05:30 PM   #21
Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

It's too bad there's not some place you could learn about why DST exists and what the arguments are in favor of or against it.
Old November 3 2013, 05:45 PM   #22
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

If you people are going to whine and moan about this, which there is no point in doing since it's not going to change anything, at least get your facts straight. Clueless rambling does not bolster your cause.

Daylight savings time just ended. We're now back on (Time Zone) standard or daylight time.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...nd-november-3/
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 05:58 PM   #23
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

I know farmers were never a big fan of it. They're in the fields when the sun comes up, regardless of what the clock says.
Old November 3 2013, 06:03 PM   #24
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Waking up early, I realized there is a reason why we need daylight saving time. It's what happens in the morning, not necessarily at night. I like that it stays light later in daylight time, but the week leading up to the roll back, it doesn't really get light in the morning until after 7:00 AM. Do we really want to go to work or school with it still being dark? I know I don't, and the light does help me wake up in the morning.
Old November 3 2013, 06:07 PM   #25
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

Death wrote: View Post
Hollywood Werewolf wrote: View Post
Considering that most of the U.S. is now on Daylight Saving Time for nearly two-thirds of the year, maybe it would make more sense to simply have DST all year round. But then children would be waking up and going to school in the dark.

Aaaah, screw the children.
I think the time shifting does more harm than good with young people... with people in general actually. More people get sick, suffer sleep disruptions, car accidents, etc. If the problem is kids getting up in the dark, just have them come in an hour later.
Changing the time kids go to school by an hour would be far more disruptive to people's lives than changing the clocks.
Old November 3 2013, 06:23 PM   #26
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Waking up early, I realized there is a reason why we need daylight saving time. It's what happens in the morning, not necessarily at night. I like that it stays light later in daylight time, but the week leading up to the roll back, it doesn't really get light in the morning until after 7:00 AM. Do we really want to go to work or school with it still being dark? I know I don't, and the light does help me wake up in the morning.
I dunno I'd rather it be dark in the morning than it getting dark before I've even eaten dinner.
Old November 3 2013, 06:35 PM   #27
MacLeod
Admiral

Crimelord_Insidious wrote: View Post
Anyone is free to set his clock to a standard global time. It's just that people can't agree on where on the globe the benchmark spot should be.
Well technically speaking we do have a global time and it was agreed a hundred plus years ago, UTC (aka GMT).
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 06:59 PM   #28
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Hollywood Werewolf wrote: View Post
Considering that most of the U.S. is now on Daylight Saving Time for nearly two-thirds of the year, maybe it would make more sense to simply have DST all year round. But then children would be waking up and going to school in the dark.

Aaaah, screw the children.
The period of DST has changed since I was a kid, I remember going to the bus stop in the dark.

And y'know, in the snow, uphill both ways, etc, etc.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 07:08 PM   #29
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I dunno I'd rather it be dark in the morning than it getting dark before I've even eaten dinner.
That's one of the interesting thing about living at 48+ degrees latitude (Canadian border is 49) and on the western edge of the (central) time zone. In the winter, the sun doesn't come up until damn near 9. In the summer, you can read a newspaper outside at quarter to 11.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 07:49 PM   #30
MacLeod
Admiral

As you say the further North or South you go from the equator the later the sunrises/sets.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote