Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 1 2013, 01:00 AM   #16
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Moffat Promises "13 Episodes In 2014".

Let's hope with the exception of the Christmas special they are shown back to back.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 10:25 AM   #17
Starkers
Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
I think we can resign ourselves to the same old names again doing all the writing.

And no women of course, because they're icky.

Actually, even as a fan of Moffat his reliance on big names (and let’s be honest his mates) has always annoyed me. RTD seemed keener to bring up and coming writers on board. Of course that conversation with Moffat does address part of that, RTD seemed to do a huge amount of rewriting to bring episodes up to scratch and SM seems keener to have people he can trust to deliver a strong episode without much interference. Whichever you think is the better way it does at least suggest it’s a bit more than jobs for the boys.

There needs to be more women writing in sci-fi generally. I am right in thinking that there has only been one female writer since Who came back in Helen Raynor? so it isn’t like RTD was hugely more inclusive. Hopefully this is something that will change.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 11:40 AM   #18
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

What about Rob Shearman? Is there any particular reason why he has only written one (hugely successful) Doctor Who TV episode?
Old November 1 2013, 11:44 AM   #19
StCoop
Commodore

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
What about Rob Shearman? Is there any particular reason why he has only written one (hugely successful) Doctor Who TV episode?
You can find a detailed quote from him out there but basically he doesn't want to write any more DW (in any medium).
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 11:51 AM   #20
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

You can find a detailed quote from him out there but basically he doesn't want to write any more DW (in any medium).
True. http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-w...ing-the-daleks
It sounds terribly ungrateful - but I just didn't want to keep doing the same thing. I'd been trying to get out of Doctor Who, in the nicest possible way, for a couple of years already. In 2003 I'd written three different stories for Big Finish, and with my final one, Deadline, I pretty much told the listeners that I was going to be taking a break from the series for a long while. I began to feel I was repeating myself, and that I wasn't taking enough risks.
(...)
Oh, I'd love to return to Doctor Who one of these days. Either on screen, or with my old friends at Big Finish. I know I have more stories to tell. But I'd be lying if I said I had the remotest idea what those stories were yet! I shan't stay away forever. I love Doctor Who too much, and owe it too much as well.
Still, he'd be a pretty good showrunner, in my opinion, if he ever changed his mind.
Old November 1 2013, 02:16 PM   #21
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

He doesn't however say 13 episodes shot or 13 shot and broadcast, which as we now know can mean very different things...
I guess they'll show 13 episodes at Comic Con and we'll have to wait until 2018 to see them.
Judge Death wrote: View Post
Ts for posting the article StCoop

He doesn't however say 13 episodes shot or 13 shot and broadcast, which as we now know can mean very different things...
I guess they'll show 13 episodes at Comic Con and we'll have to wait until 2018 to see them.

But what about the most important question, will Paul McGann be in them!?
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 12:11 AM   #22
Bacl
Fleet Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Just read this on GallifreyBase, pray it's true. A new Doctor needs the momentum of a full run.
Yeah, and considering he'll be around for 2...maybe even 3 years, it is really important!

But not as important as who will play the 13th Doctor!!!!!!! Announcement coming Christmas Day 2014!!!!

"Re: Moffat Promises "13 Episodes In 2014".

Moffat also promised we'd learnt he Doctor's name, that he was really, really dead forever, and that this upcoming "50th" will change EVERYTHING and FOREVER!!!!

Uh huuuuuh.
Old November 2 2013, 12:40 AM   #23
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Bacl wrote: View Post
"Re: Moffat Promises "13 Episodes In 2014".

Moffat also promised we'd learn the Doctor's name, that he was really, really dead forever, and that this upcoming "50th" will change EVERYTHING and FOREVER!!!!

Uh huuuuuh.
"13 episodes in 2014" and "the Doctor's name" aren't apples-to-apples, though.

In terms of the storytelling, Moffat is the final word. If Moffat wants to exaggerate (or outright lie), that's his prerogative.

In terms of the production and the scheduling and the budget allocation, Moffat has people that he answers to. If his BBC superiors tell him that here's his budget and and here's his actor and they expect 13 episodes on the air in 2014, then Moffat had better deliver those 13 episodes for broadcast in 2014 because his job depends upon it.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 03:28 AM   #24
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

This is a strange article that says Capaldi will do two six-episode series and then either leave or renegotiate his contract and stay. But it also says the Christmas episode is still filming, which it's not, so it may be nothing more than garbled reporting.

allyngibson.net
Old November 3 2013, 05:36 AM   #25
Snick27
Captain

Moffat is conscious that the pool of Doctor Who writers is currently quite small – in its most recent series, three of them penned two stories each – but that’s the price to pay for working on a show of this scale. Where Davies famously rewrote vast tranches of scripts, Moffat employs only experienced hands and appears to practise a lighter touch, though he says he’s open to more names if they can fit some tough criteria.

So that is why series 7 sucked. Sorry Moffat but how about you do your job. So many of those episodes felt rushed or way to loose. So many of them like "The Rings of Akhaten" had soo many holes in them that it was embarrassing to watch.
"The Power of Three" is the same way, so rushed at the end.

Sooner the BBC gets rid of Moffat the happier I will be.

Anyway the rumor has been that no new episodes in 2015 so this might be just one year for Peter. So they might spread the series across the end of 2014 thru 2015. So maybe 6 in 2014, Christmas episode 2014 and 6 in spring (April) 2015. Then at the end of the series 8 have Peter regenerate but not finish it so we have to wait a few years for the show to come back on to see whom the 13th doctor will be.
Old November 3 2013, 06:10 AM   #26
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Snick27 wrote: View Post
Anyway the rumor has been that no new episodes in 2015 so this might be just one year for Peter. So they might spread the series across the end of 2014 thru 2015. So maybe 6 in 2014, Christmas episode 2014 and 6 in spring (April) 2015. Then at the end of the series 8 have Peter regenerate but not finish it so we have to wait a few years for the show to come back on to see whom the 13th doctor will be.
I don't see the logic from the BBC's standpoint for either of those possibilities. It's telling that Doctor Who was at the height of its popularity when it was a regular, 13-episode program. And Doctor Who merchandise doesn't sell anywhere near as well when there's no program on the air to support it. The BBC needs the Doctor Who money from Worldwide. Airing Doctor Who on an irregular schedule and resting the program doesn't help the BBC.

allyngibson.net
Old November 3 2013, 10:36 AM   #27
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I came across that article as well...dismissed it when I got to the end of it when it stated the 30th Anniversary would be airing on November 23rd. I assume from the looks of it that it's probably a tabloid paper site.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 01:51 PM   #28
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

I bet that if Capaldi stays for one series, he'll be one of my favourite doctors but if he stays for many series, I'll loathe him. This always happens to me. :P
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 02:29 PM   #29
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
I bet that if Capaldi stays for one series, he'll be one of my favourite doctors but if he stays for many series, I'll loathe him. This always happens to me. :P
Maybe you'll change as you get older.
Old November 3 2013, 02:36 PM   #30
DWF
Vice Admiral

It's too bad he didn't promise 13 good episodes in 2014.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote