TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 31 2013, 12:17 PM   #76
Starkers
Admiral

Re: Matt Smith would have stayed...

Well to be fair to Colin I didn't mind him in The Two Doctors, but one of the (many) reasons it sucks (IMO) is that the two Doctors don't actually interact very much...although Colin would probably have come off worse if they had

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 03:43 PM   #77
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^Well, it didn't help that Patrick Troughton was an infinitely better actor and Doctor than Colin Baker and would've wiped the floor with him at any time during Baker's tenure. Capaldi is much more likely to hold his own with any of his predecessors. But I still think it's a bad idea to bring back an old Doctor while the new one is still establishing himself.
Yes, and I've always thought that is why they had so few scenes together in The Two Doctors!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 03:52 PM   #78
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
When I think about the Tennant/Smith idea, I'm torn. At first glance, it sounds really freakin' awesome! But I feel like doing it for an entire 13 episode season might be straining the novelty of it.
Farscape made it work for about that long. I think Who could too if they wanted to.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 09:14 PM   #79
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Judge Death wrote: View Post
Well to be fair to Colin I didn't mind him in The Two Doctors, but one of the (many) reasons it sucks (IMO) is that the two Doctors don't actually interact very much...although Colin would probably have come off worse if they had
I disagree, the Two Doctors is great, I'd go so far to say it's the best multi-doctor story to date, and even in my top 10 stories ever!

I'd say the 2 doctors interacted enough. But really instead of five doctors where they all just ran around Gallifrey, and then actually, they only all met up in the last five or so minutes, it actually builds up a story, and when the 2 doctors are together, it's really funny! Plus the Sontarans were great too.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 09:20 PM   #80
Starkers
Admiral

Quite possibly the worst Sontaran story ever. Just my opinion of course

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 01:22 AM   #81
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Have you ever seen Crimson Horror, or anything else with that Strax one? If you can even count them as Sontaran episodes that is.
Old November 2 2013, 02:56 AM   #82
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Lindley wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
When I think about the Tennant/Smith idea, I'm torn. At first glance, it sounds really freakin' awesome! But I feel like doing it for an entire 13 episode season might be straining the novelty of it.
Farscape made it work for about that long. I think Who could too if they wanted to.
Cut him in half and see if both sides regenerate!
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 06:28 PM   #83
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

What was the Farscape one? Two Crichtons?
Old November 2 2013, 08:32 PM   #84
Christopher
Writer

Yeah. There was an arc where they had the cast split into two separate groups for much of a season and alternated episodes between them, but Ben Browder was the star and presumably had to be in every episode, so they did an episode that had Crichton being duplicated and then had one Crichton go with each group.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 01:18 AM   #85
Bacl
Fleet Captain

I actually think "The Two Doctors" is highly underrated. It is one of my favorite 6th Doctor stories. Is has a message to it (whether you agree with that message is another matter, but I always give a point or two for true sincerity and an attempt at substance) and a plot that actually makes sense without a lot of dull plodding that pagues oldWho.

Best of all, the story comes first and the fact that there are two Doctors comes second, a real smart move. Just like how "Caves" wasn't so much about the Doctor regenerating as it was about its story, with the regeneration secondary.

This is how it needs to be done but probably won't. Just like "The End Of Time" was pretty much just two-hours of ZOMG David Tennant is LEAVING....and oh yeah, dull plot with cactus aliens and a rich black guy that quickly gets forgotten, I have a feeling that the 50th and Matt's final episode will be "Multi-Doctors!" and "Regeneration!" first and story, if any, second.
Old November 3 2013, 05:33 AM   #86
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Have you ever seen Crimson Horror, or anything else with that Strax one? If you can even count them as Sontaran episodes that is.
Heretic! Crimson Horror is amazing and Strax is wonderful!

Christopher wrote: View Post
Yeah. There was an arc where they had the cast split into two separate groups for much of a season and alternated episodes between them, but Ben Browder was the star and presumably had to be in every episode, so they did an episode that had Crichton being duplicated and then had one Crichton go with each group.
Though to be fair that turned out to be a pretty brilliant choice on their part and an integral part of the overall story.
Old November 3 2013, 07:22 AM   #87
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

The best part of it was that the episode that it happened in felt like any other episode of the week until you got to the end and both Crichtons were still alive. Then they had them both developing over the course of the season in different ways to the point that they really did feel like different characters and in the end it was the 'wrong' Crichton that died.

Goddamn that show was good.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old November 3 2013, 12:42 PM   #88
DWF
Vice Admiral

Vulture Capitalist wrote: View Post
Though to be fair that turned out to be a pretty brilliant choice on their part and an integral part of the overall story.
The quality of that ten ep. story arc is subjective at best, it also drove people away from the show.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 01:45 PM   #89
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Bacl wrote: View Post
I actually think "The Two Doctors" is highly underrated. It is one of my favorite 6th Doctor stories. Is has a message to it (whether you agree with that message is another matter, but I always give a point or two for true sincerity and an attempt at substance) and a plot that actually makes sense without a lot of dull plodding that pagues oldWho.

Best of all, the story comes first and the fact that there are two Doctors comes second, a real smart move. Just like how "Caves" wasn't so much about the Doctor regenerating as it was about its story, with the regeneration secondary.

This is how it needs to be done but probably won't. Just like "The End Of Time" was pretty much just two-hours of ZOMG David Tennant is LEAVING....and oh yeah, dull plot with cactus aliens and a rich black guy that quickly gets forgotten, I have a feeling that the 50th and Matt's final episode will be "Multi-Doctors!" and "Regeneration!" first and story, if any, second.
Ditto. Two doctors is so underrated, plus the acting in it is wonderful .

Yeah, I have a sad feeling that will happen. While I'd actually like the 50th to be a lot about the doctors as well as story, I would like Smiths finale to not revolve around his death, I want a contrast to Tennant's regeneration. I myself like End of Time, but I want something different. And I feel the doctor regenerating to save a companion is becoming a cliché, it's happened with both of the new series regenerations now, I want the doctor to be killed in action, or to die defeating the villain/s.
Old November 3 2013, 01:59 PM   #90
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
Vulture Capitalist wrote: View Post
The quality of that ten ep. story arc is subjective at best, it also drove people away from the show.
Those people are stupid.