Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 2 2013, 10:07 PM   #556
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I propose IDW permanently genderswap all male characters in the Trekverse into females just to get Pauln6 to shut up.

(no offence)
+1
Old November 2 2013, 10:19 PM   #557
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I propose IDW permanently genderswap all male characters in the Trekverse into females just to get Pauln6 to shut up.

(no offence)
Such illogic from a Trek forum. I'm not complaining about a lack of women because I want more women; I'm complaining about a lack women because I want equality.

I'd just switch to complaining that there were not enough men.

It would be an interesting experiment though.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 05:26 AM   #558
JD
Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
The plot has a clear direction but they haven't needed to tie up the conclusion with a convenient neat bow. The security guards, Zahra and Kai even get a bit of development, although it's unfortunate that the artist seems have mistaken Zahra for Rand. Fair enough if she wants to dye her hair but she seems to have changed her entire ethnicity... I hope it's just a mistake and not a permanent change. The last thing a TOS era needs is another blonde Caucasian.
I haven't read the comics myself yet, but from the comments I've on here read on here, they've been making those kinds of mistakes off and on throughout the whole series.
Old November 3 2013, 09:27 AM   #559
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I'm complaining about a lack women because I want equality.
Star Trek has seven main canonical characters, one of whom is female. Unless you made every guest character female, you'll still have a problem giving enough speaking (and non speaking) parts to female characters to get "equality".
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 11:30 AM   #560
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
I'm complaining about a lack women because I want equality.
Star Trek has seven main canonical characters, one of whom is female. Unless you made every guest character female, you'll still have a problem giving enough speaking (and non speaking) parts to female characters to get "equality".
True but in the early issues they were using almost no guest women either, they edited out one of the three recurring women from TOS (fingers crossed for her return though), plus all the women from WNMHGB, most notably Dr Denher. What we have now is a definite improvement in terms of equality in the Federation camp, with the exception of disappointing T'Pau's absence. If they keep making improvements at the same pace across all the races, I will be able to stop moaning by June.

Old November 3 2013, 12:03 PM   #561
Markonian
Captain

I haven't read the latest issues of Ongoing yet but I also believe gender quality is a current issue and should be addressed here.

The main cast is predominantly (white) male, so true equality cannot be achieved. But accepting this limitation still allows to judge the equality the rest of the plots and characters to be measured by our 21st century standard. The new ST is derived from a 1960s series but still produced in the 2010s. It cannot evade contemporary ideals of society, Imho.
Old November 3 2013, 07:26 PM   #562
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Markonian wrote: View Post
I haven't read the latest issues of Ongoing yet but I also believe gender quality is a current issue and should be addressed here.

The main cast is predominantly (white) male, so true equality cannot be achieved. But accepting this limitation still allows to judge the equality the rest of the plots and characters to be measured by our 21st century standard. The new ST is derived from a 1960s series but still produced in the 2010s. It cannot evade contemporary ideals of society, Imho.
+1

It's nice to see that the comic features two semi-regular female security guards and Zahra even got some character development in the latest issue. I'm still hoping they give Rand the same treatment but more generally, it's nice to see them elaborating on the wider cast a bit more. I'm enjoying the Sulu sub-plot too. Although I hope they keep his sister around for more than one story, it's entirely possible that she's a Section 31 plant.

Old November 3 2013, 07:31 PM   #563
Christopher
Writer

Markonian wrote: View Post
The main cast is predominantly (white) male, so true equality cannot be achieved.
Unless you abandoned the "alternate timeline" pretense and just did a straight-up reimagining. Then you could have, say, a female Sulu, a black McCoy, a gay Scotty, etc. Heck, if I were able to reinvent ST from the ground up, I'd probably make Kirk female.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 07:45 PM   #564
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
...a female Sulu, a black McCoy, a gay Scotty ... I'd probably make Kirk female.
I'd read that.
Old November 3 2013, 09:32 PM   #565
Therin of Andor
Admiral

with the exception of disappointing T'Pau's absence.
Since we don't know if T'Pau survived the canonical demise of Vulcan in the new timeline, the IDW writers may have been asked not to include her. You did get T'Pring. Maybe they wanted to feature both, but got one?
Old November 4 2013, 09:50 AM   #566
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

with the exception of disappointing T'Pau's absence.
Since we don't know if T'Pau survived the canonical demise of Vulcan in the new timeline, the IDW writers may have been asked not to include her. You did get T'Pring. Maybe they wanted to feature both, but got one?
It was nice to see T'Pring but she is essentially a generic Vulcan who inevitably had to be cast in the role of 'love interest' or rather 'logic interest' in the context of Amok Time. T'Pau on the other hand is a legendary mature woman in a position of considerable power without being sexualised or linked to a male character at all.

We've had cameos from several admirals and commodores who survived the changes to the timeline. I thought initially that they were keeping T'Pau out of the comics because they wanted to use her in the sequel but that wasn't the case. It's just disheartening that one of the few female leaders in TOS is still absent after several Vulcan-centered stories and to date I've seen no story elements that might have benefitted from her dying off camera. Her absence is curious.

Old November 4 2013, 10:29 AM   #567
Therin of Andor
Admiral

It was nice to see T'Pring but she is essentially a generic Vulcan who inevitably had to be cast in the role of 'love interest' or rather 'logic interest' in the context of Amok Time.
I saw nothing "generic" about T'Pring.

I thought initially that they were keeping T'Pau out of the comics because they wanted to use her in the sequel but that wasn't the case.
The movies aren't finished yet.
Old November 5 2013, 01:15 AM   #568
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

It was nice to see T'Pring but she is essentially a generic Vulcan who inevitably had to be cast in the role of 'love interest' or rather 'logic interest' in the context of Amok Time.
I saw nothing "generic" about T'Pring.

I thought initially that they were keeping T'Pau out of the comics because they wanted to use her in the sequel but that wasn't the case.
The movies aren't finished yet.
Wel, she was a woman I guess ;P but I meant she has no role beyond being Spock's betrothed, no wider significance to the plot, characters, or the Vulcan people. Obviously, in a comic where they have been cramming stories into two issues, most guest characters will be one note only and it's even harder to give a Vulcan personality. That's why I love T'Pau!

The writers of the movies may have a list of 'no-go' characters that they want to keep in reserve even if they never end up using them. That could be the real reason that Dehner didn't make it into the comic too.

However, if they have cast Chapel aside in the movies, I do hope that she gets some comic time instead. Maybe some wider repercussions if she persuaded some other captain to go to find Korby?

Old November 6 2013, 11:14 AM   #569
Markonian
Captain

However, if they have cast Chapel aside in the movies, I do hope that she gets some comic time instead. Maybe some wider repercussions if she persuaded some other captain to go to find Korby?
It is possible that they might do another set of character-flashback comics before the third film. Carol being a main character now could lead to the depiction of her friendship with Chapel; specifically, the moment Chapel warned Carol of Kirk.
Old November 7 2013, 05:14 AM   #570
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

The gender thing again? Didn't we already go through this bullshit in the XI forum?

Next!