Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 21 2013, 08:12 PM   #31
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

Well, according to this article, they were considering it:
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/12473/
Old October 21 2013, 10:04 PM   #32
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

As much as I'd have loved it, being a huge Hellraiser boffin, I just can't see the Weinsteins allowing New Line Cinema to use Pinhead.

I've marathoned the entire series of nine films twice within the past 2 months. Actually, I skipped Hellworld the second time. Even my fandom has its limits.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 10:08 PM   #33
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I wonder what legal loopholes they had to go through to get Pinhead on The Tonight Show.

(Yep, you read that right. Leno complained of a hangnail, which Pinhead took great interest in...)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 10:50 PM   #34
publiusr
Commodore

Cyberman wrote: View Post

i had always heard that rumor about Pinhead in Freddy vs Jason as well.
Pinhead vs Freddy makes more sense to me in that they can at least exchange verbal barbs as well.

I always thought of Pinhead as rather like Charles Emerson Winchester from MASH, with Freddy being more Hawkeye Pierce, a working class villain. Jason and Michael Myers have more in common--save for who owns the rights...

I've always wanted to see a movie set in Hell, with all these characters together.

It would be rather like DC's PREACHER, with a little Ghostbusters added.

The idea of belief made manifest interests me.

The idea is that a maelevolent god and hell did not exist before people believed in it--with books like LEFT BEHIND actually becoming likely in that the more people who believe makes such gruesome things actually horrifically real.

Enough serial killers believed in the idea that, the more you kill, the more you have control.

So Freddy and Pinhead have this Dante's Inferno type adventure, where the high rulers of Hell are sadly the warmongers of the 20th Century. They become anti-heros, as a Lovecraftian entity threatens to overwhelm them all.

Here, there are no dead teenagers, but a lot of dialog, and action in fighting demons and the like, and actually wind up saving our world...inadvertantly of course.

In terms of futuristic horror, I'd like to see a cautionary tale anthology involving near future threats.

In the 2020s, an A-380 hits the Sears Tower and a new Islamo-phobia is had. A heroic woman is sent to investigates whole towns of folks diasppearing in Russia, with mysterous diseases that are too targeted. A Bering Strait tunnel is used to asphyixiate dissidents by the train-load. In the US, a gun-powder eating micro-organism is released--the only truly effective gun-control method.

The end result, anarchy and vast waves of violent crime, and new feudalism
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 01:58 AM   #35
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
Pandorum was a spaceship based horror show and i would highly recommend it.

If you like animation, i would also recommend Dead Space: Downfall and Dead Space Aftermath
Both movies are based on the horror space game Dead Space.
I've already seen Pandorum and I liked it quite a bit!
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 10:23 AM   #36
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

Hey guys, while I certainly appreciate all the suggestions, none of the responses seem to be what I'm looking for.

I want a movie or TV show where there is a completely logical character like Data from TNG who is trying to solve something that appears to be the work of the supernatural or fantasy like vampires and demons. As I said, I love the episode 'Genesis' from season 7 of TNG where Data works to solve something that seems impossible and how he uses his logical way of thinking to solve the problem. Or, even the episode 'Time's Arrow' where Data is thrown into an unfamiliar era and how he needs to first analyze his predicament, then come up with a solution and then finally carry out that solution.

Also, in the movie 'Lost in Space' I love how the robot is exploring the spacecraft that's infested with those alien spiders and says "I'm detecting motion." Or, even something like the movie 'Prometheus' where the android David works to solve the problems they encounter. The episode 'Self-Made Man' from the Sarah Connor Chronicles was awesome, too. I really love how, like Data, the T-888 is sent back in time and he needs to try to logically come up with a solution to his difficult predicament. I find it great how he doesn't moan and complain and he accepts his situation and goes about solving it. I love the aspect of how he's a rugged individual.

I'd love to see something related to time travel like the two examples I just gave.

Are there any TV shows or movies that match this criteria?

Thank you!
Old October 28 2013, 05:52 PM   #37
sojourner
Admiral

Just pickup the 1990's version of the Outer Limits. You'll find plenty of episodes that match your various requests.
Old October 28 2013, 07:16 PM   #38
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I guess the most popular ones would be Event Horizon, Sunshine, Alien, and Prometheus. A lot of stuff that tries to mix the two is terrible
Starbreaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 11:23 AM   #39
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
Just pickup the 1990's version of the Outer Limits. You'll find plenty of episodes that match your various requests.
Hey bro, thanks for your suggestion, but I already love this show!

I've only seen maybe one third of it though because I only watched the episodes I first read about.

Thanks!
Old October 31 2013, 11:26 AM   #40
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I guess the most popular ones would be Event Horizon, Sunshine, Alien, and Prometheus. A lot of stuff that tries to mix the two is terrible
Thanks!

I've seen all of those except for 'Sunshine'. Is 'Sunshine' any good? I don't want to finish watching the trailer because I have a feeling I'll get spoiled.
Old November 3 2013, 02:38 AM   #41
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

Anyone?
Old November 3 2013, 03:35 AM   #42
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

You could always check Rotten Tomatoes.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 03:38 AM   #43
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Sigh, I feel like we've be through this.
Old November 3 2013, 04:12 AM   #44
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I suppose "Groundhog Day" could be considered a horror film...
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 04:35 AM   #45
Melakon
Vice Admiral

If you want to slosh around in old Roger Corman produced stuff, then you have to see Galaxy of Terror. Joanie Cunningham from "Happy Days" gets squished, and some other babe gets raped by a space slug in an infamous scene. Bonus: Ray Walston's in it.

A site I frequently visit that has reviews on sci-fi, fantasy, and horror films is Moria, at

http://moria.co.nz/index.htm?option=...=4759&Itemid=0