Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 2 2013, 09:20 PM   #91
propita
Rear Admiral

Re: Ender's Game (2013 Film)

I am solo tired of reading reviews by people unfamiliar with the book. Yes, I know the movie should stand on its own, but many points raised by some reviewers are idiotic.

"Razer’s tattoo as an homage to Mike Tyson.” Wtf?

“There’s little emotional relationship between Ender and Graff.” No shit! That’s the point. Ender wasn’t supposed to have an adult to turn to.

“Kids are recruited for their video gaming skills.” Uh, no. Just no. They’re mixing this up with “The Last Starfighter,” which, incidentally was highly enjoyable.

Anyone else see ridiculous points raised by reviewers?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 10:45 PM   #92
thumbtack
Commodore

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
If they do go for a sequel
Won't even reach 30 million for the weekend.

No sequels.

Old November 2 2013, 11:31 PM   #93
RoJoHen
Awesome

propita wrote: View Post
I am solo tired of reading reviews by people unfamiliar with the book. Yes, I know the movie should stand on its own, but many points raised by some reviewers are idiotic.

"Razer’s tattoo as an homage to Mike Tyson.” Wtf?

“There’s little emotional relationship between Ender and Graff.” No shit! That’s the point. Ender wasn’t supposed to have an adult to turn to.

“Kids are recruited for their video gaming skills.” Uh, no. Just no. They’re mixing this up with “The Last Starfighter,” which, incidentally was highly enjoyable.

Anyone else see ridiculous points raised by reviewers?
Well, I haven't actually seen the movie yet, so I don't know how accurate these reviews are. I've read the book, so I know how that story plays out, but how well does the movie capture these points?
Old November 3 2013, 12:02 AM   #94
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

propita wrote: View Post
And this movie I swear I read about once, where a video game called "Saviour One" was distributed on Earth and anyone who scored above a certain level on it, was automatically recruited for some kind of interstellar war.

I have no idea what the movie was called, but I distinctly remember "Saviour One" was the name of the actual game in it.
Old November 3 2013, 12:38 AM   #95
tighr
Commodore

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Well, I haven't actually seen the movie yet, so I don't know how accurate these reviews are. I've read the book, so I know how that story plays out, but how well does the movie capture these points?
Just got back from watching. The film touches on these points, but due to the nature of films I think it fails to drive them home.

I enjoyed it, but I can see where the reviewers who didn't read the book are going to miss out on the message. They don't explain why they needed children, nor that these kids are the smartest in the world. Just that they get good grades and are good at wargames. They don't drive home the point that Ender isn't just a good Commander, he's the best there ever was. The fight with Bonzo comes across as an accident instead of as a pure tactical calculated total destruction of his enemy. Casting a shorter actor (I think he's even shorter than Bean) takes away some of the menace, too. Instead of a big kid trying to beat up a little kid and losing badly, its a jerk getting what's coming.

The passage of time (5 years in the book) is ignored, and the film seems to take place in less than a year.

The ansible isn't explained, just namedropped. The fleet isn't explained as having traveled for 50 years, so you lose the weight of human capital for the war effort.
Old November 3 2013, 01:31 AM   #96
propita
Rear Admiral

Maybe there’s an extended version?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 02:08 AM   #97
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I thought it was good. Very good cast, terrific FX, and some legitimately fun sequences.

Having Ender's story take place in less than a year definitely took something away from the story. I think you lost some of "the grind" that Ender went through. Before the final battle, he could barely get himself out of bed. I just never got the impression that Ender was put through the ringer like he was in the book. I also wish some of the training sequences were longer and that they fully put over how unstoppable Ender was. Ender never failed a mission, never.

Good point about the Bonzo battle. Probably because of today's sensibilities but Ender doesn't end up killing the first bully and what happens with Bonzo comes across as an accident. You could have Ender killing those two in the books but not in movies/television nowadays. The actor who played Bonzo was comically shorter than Asa Butterfield though I have to admit I found him hilarious and I think the audience I was with did as well.

Harrison Ford was very good (he's given better performances lately) although he looked silly in a beret. I found the character of Anderson in the book to be generic as hell so anything Viola Davis did with the character was an improvement.

Thankfully the reveal at the end was still a very powerful scene. The epilogue though was a rushed, poorly though-out mess. They handled it badly.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 07:56 PM   #98
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

thumbtack wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
If they do go for a sequel
Won't even reach 30 million for the weekend.

No sequels.

Right about not (quite) reaching 30mil...but if you know ANYTHING about the books - the direct (original) sequels are Ender as an adult, and are very, VERY different books - a whole new storyline.

And because they left so much out from "Ender's Shadow" (the parallel story - same events from different single and unseen events surrounding "Bean" - which was good - at least the 1st novel) and they left out Ender's Game storyline involving Ender's sisters and brother's political actions back on Earth's (well, internet - predicted by OSC in '85) a sequel series based on the "Shadow" parallel series - or even future Ender's series would be hard.

Maybe this "Ender in Exile" would work...but it can only be filler and never resolve the original story(s).

OR the just ignore the rest of the books and write a new storyline.

I wish a little more from "Ender's Shadow" had been fit in somehow. (It had a "twist" too.)

Nor do I remember an explanation of how/why Mazer Rakam who - his big insight and disobeying his commanders, that lead the the whole programer to look for someone who thinks outside of the box? (And how did he survive the impact? Eject beforehand?)

No did I remember them explaining why he hadn't aged. (But I stayed up late to see the film and closed my eyes for a few secs and may have missed some stuff.)

Less real explanation on why the Queen had so much interest in Ender - and *knew* he'd be their...ender...

I dislike OSC's bigoted hateful politics...but I did want to see the film so I basically used a...well, it was complicated.

I but I personally buy an older - 12 - Ender myself more than a 6 year old. (Buy isn't his name *really* "Andrew* - why did EVERYONE call him "Ender"?)

Overall I did like it. And will see it again with my (gay-bi oldest) daughter (my sons and other daughter are in Illinois and will see it separately)...but she's only going...very reluctantly...and my buy a ticket for another film by the same studio, and accidentally" see this one instead".
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 09:37 PM   #99
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

The Great Cthulhu wrote: View Post
Right about not (quite) reaching 30mil...but if you know ANYTHING about the books - the direct (original) sequels are Ender as an adult, and are very, VERY different books - a whole new storyline.
Card has said several times he'll never let Speaker be made into a film. Xeno and CotM are shit.

And because they left so much out from "Ender's Shadow" (the parallel story - same events from different single and unseen events surrounding "Bean" - which was good - at least the 1st novel) and they left out Ender's Game storyline involving Ender's sisters and brother's political actions back on Earth's (well, internet - predicted by OSC in '85) a sequel series based on the "Shadow" parallel series - or even future Ender's series would be hard.
The Bean series is also shit. All of it.

Also, the internet existed in 1985, and "nets," as Card described them, have been around 1969.

Maybe this "Ender in Exile" would work...but it can only be filler and never resolve the original story(s).
More shit.

OR the just ignore the rest of the books and write a new storyline.
And they might have considered it had it done more than 30m.
Old November 3 2013, 11:21 PM   #100
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Opening weekend: 28 million.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 01:27 AM   #101
tighr
Commodore

Just a big miss all around. Might have worked better as two films (but not three, like the Hobbit). But then you run into the issue where if the first bombs, the second doesn't get made.

Part one where Ender goes to Battle School, ending with his promotion to Commander of Dragon Army, would have been a compelling story on its own. Part two beginning with his first three weeks in Dragon Army and his daily battles, then going to Command School for the conclusion. With two films, you can flesh out the battles in the battle room, and really drive home the point that Ender is tactically gifted where others are not. With the compressed timeline of the film we got, he just comes off as lucky. We also don't see how stressed out Ender gets from the daily grind.

They only show two battles, and both are combinations of other battles. That disappointed me.

I'm curious if the lack of box office draw has more to do with the film itself, or the controversy of Card.

May have been better as an HBO miniseries.
Old November 4 2013, 04:02 AM   #102
The Wormhole
Admiral

bryce wrote: View Post
(And how did he survive the impact? Eject beforehand?)
Yes, that's actually shown.

No did I remember them explaining why he hadn't aged. (But I stayed up late to see the film and closed my eyes for a few secs and may have missed some stuff.)
In the movie, the original attack from the aliens was only 50 years earlier. Although it is impossible to tell on account of there being a face obscuring helmet, the flashback scenes to the battle feature another actor playing a younger Mazer Rackham. Ben Kingsley is 70, assuming the character is meant to be in his 70s, that would make him in his 20s at the time of the attack.
Old November 4 2013, 04:15 AM   #103
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I haven't read the book, so based on previous posts I expect to get flamed for even daring to give my opinion.

I felt it was a good film, but the reveal at the end didn't have the impact it might have. I guess that's the nature of film. You don't put a massive amount of special effects and an epic score into simulator battles. The adults speaking in hush hush tones made it clear they were up to something. I had the simulators pegged as real long before the reveal was made. This is something that I'm sure would be made better in the book, where visual cues are denied to the reader.
Old November 4 2013, 06:03 AM   #104
tighr
Commodore

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
I had the simulators pegged as real long before the reveal was made. This is something that I'm sure would be made better in the book, where visual cues are denied to the reader.
Indeed, in the book, the simulator portrays the ships as "dots". In fact, they spend months practicing on the simulators against computer opponents, which are due to their nature as simulations easily destroyed by Ender. Rackham tells Ender that to make him better, he'll compete against him so Ender can face a human opponent that can learn. It's not until the end of the book that we discover Ender is actually fighting the Formics that whole time.

Also, all the transport carriers had the Doctor Device, not just the one Petra controls. In Ender's Shadow, he commands all the ships to deploy in the hopes that one will hit the planet before burning up in the atmosphere. Although, I did like the way they portrayed it in the film, with Ender abandoning the fleet.
Old November 4 2013, 01:03 PM   #105
Scout101
Admiral

although that definitely makes it a dick move by the adults. If they knew they were real, could have told them to flee once Ender decided they weren't useful anymore and he abandoned them.

Either way, movie was decent, just felt really rushed/compressed.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is online now   Reply With Quote