Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 2 2013, 04:50 AM   #1456
Dream
Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

The actors that have had dual roles in DC and Marvel movies tend to have been in a crappy superhero film.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 03:04 PM   #1457
Christopher
Writer

Tons of creative people have worked for both DC and Marvel -- Jack Kirby, John Byrne, Frank Miller, Mark Waid, Grant Morrison, you name it. Not to mention creators like Boyd Kirkland and Paul Dini going from the DC Animated Universe to Marvel animated series, or voice artists crossing between both (e.g. Jennifer Hale as Zatanna and Black Cat and others, Mark Hamill as Joker and Hobgoblin among others, Vanessa Marshall as Wonder Woman and Mary Jane Watson and others, Tara Strong as Batgirl and MJ among many others, Josh Keaton as Spider-Man and Hal Jordan, Yuri Lowenthal as Superman and Iceman, etc.). Not to mention composer crossover -- Danny Elfman has scored for Batman and Spider-Man, John Ottman for the X-Men and Superman, and in animation the Dynamic Music Partners trio (Lolita Ritmanis, Michael McCuistion, and Kristopher Carter) got their start under Shirley Walker on the DCAU and are now scoring for Marvel animation.

So people in many other disciplines have freely crossed between DC and Marvel, so there's no reason why live-action performers shouldn't have the same freedom. Although playing major ongoing roles for both companies at the same time could be an issue, I suppose.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 08:51 PM   #1458
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Dare I mention that Halle Berry played both Storm and Catwoman?

Seriously, people make too much of the Marvel vs. DC thing. It's not like you have to choose between one or another, as fans or professionals. Hell, I've worked for both and hopefully will again . . . .

As long as there are no scheduling conflicts, I see no reason why Alexander can't play two comic-book warrior goddesses.

As I just posted in another thread, how many cops have Clint Eastwood or Bruce Willis played? How many different cowboys did John Wayne play?
Old November 2 2013, 09:34 PM   #1459
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

I don't like the idea of the same actor playing two active comic book roles, but Jaimie Alexander's playing a supporting character (albeit a fairly important one) in Thor's solo films. It's not like she's playing a major character, like one of the Avengers. So if she does end up playing Wonder Woman (and I think she's a great choice for that), I don't think it'd be that big of a deal. I just hope Marvel/Disney don't get petty about it like Fox did when James Marsden took a role in Superman Returns.
Jar Jar Binks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 09:56 PM   #1460
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

Seriously, people make too much of the Marvel vs. DC thing. It's not like you have to choose between one or another, as fans or professionals. Hell, I've worked for both and hopefully will again . . . .

As long as there are no scheduling conflicts, I see no reason why Alexander can't play two comic-book warrior goddesses.

As I just posted in another thread, how many cops have Clint Eastwood or Bruce Willis played? How many different cowboys did John Wayne play?
John Wayne plays the same cowboy in every film, they just change the name.
Old November 2 2013, 10:15 PM   #1461
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Jar Jar Binks wrote: View Post
I don't like the idea of the same actor playing two active comic book roles, but Jaimie Alexander's playing a supporting character (albeit a fairly important one) in Thor's solo films. It's not like she's playing a major character, like one of the Avengers. So if she does end up playing Wonder Woman (and I think she's a great choice for that), I don't think it'd be that big of a deal. I just hope Marvel/Disney don't get petty about it like Fox did when James Marsden took a role in Superman Returns.
At least those characters are different universes. Chris Evans, Ray Stevenson and Jon Favreau have played two different characters from the same universe for different studios.
Old November 2 2013, 10:25 PM   #1462
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Jar Jar Binks wrote: View Post
At least those characters are different universes. Chris Evans, Ray Stevenson and Jon Favreau have played two different characters from the same universe for different studios.
But those three never played those characters while both franchises were still in active production. Evans took the role of Captain America after it was clear that his iteration of the Fantastic Four wouldn't continue. Ditto with Ray Stevenson playing Volstagg after Punisher: War Zone flopped. Jon Favreau was a slightly different case, in that he was a director first and an actor second on Iron Man and Iron Man 2, but again, both movies came years after Fox had moved on from Daredevil.
Old November 2 2013, 10:41 PM   #1463
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Very true. Besides, even if she is playing Diana (still a big "if" at this point), even that would start off as a supporting role before a co-(co-co-co-co-) lead in a Justice League movie. Any kind of Wonder Woman solo feature seems to be off on the distance somewhere.
Old November 2 2013, 10:56 PM   #1464
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

Best not to, now that you mention it....

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
In addition to winning every major battle of World War II....
Old November 3 2013, 12:28 AM   #1465
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I realize you're just joking, but that's actually not true. Ethan Edwards in THE SEARCHERS is very different from, say, Rooster Cogburn in TRUE GRIT or The Ringo Kid in STAGECOACH or whatever Wayne's character's name was in THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE.

Anyway, aside from scheduling issues, what does it matter whether both franchises are going concerns or not? Are we saying that modern audiences are so easily confused that they won't be able to tell the difference between Sif and Wonder Woman? I mean, it's not like we have to worry about a Thor/Wonder Woman crossover film somewhere down the road, or that actors can't star in more than one series at once.

Last time I checked, nobody got Han Solo and Indiana Jones mixed up. Or Tony Stark and Sherlock Holmes. Or Professor X and Jean-Luc Picard. Or Gandalf and Magneto . . . .
Old November 3 2013, 01:01 AM   #1466
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

So you're saying Han and Indy aren't the same guy?
Old November 3 2013, 01:06 AM   #1467
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Now, now, point of order. The recent trailer for Days of Future Past clearly shows that time travel is very possible in the X-Men world. And we all know time travel in Star Trek is pretty much as easy as snapping your fingers. You're telling me there's no way that Jean-Luc Picard is actually a mental projection of Professor X four hundred years into the future?
Old November 3 2013, 01:06 AM   #1468
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

So you're saying Han and Indy aren't the same guy?
And what's more, I'm pretty sure that nobody who sees Ender's Game this weekend is going to think that it's a sequel to Blade Runner.

Seriously, what exactly is the issue here? Why do we think that audience's heads will explode if (gasp!) they see the same actor playing two different characters in the same genre? Maybe I'm showing my age here, but isn't that how movies--and acting--have always worked?

It's called suspension of disbelief. You're not supposed to notice that that Mystique looks a lot like the girl in The Hunger Games . . . .
Old November 3 2013, 01:18 AM   #1469
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

The girl in The Hunger Games can look like anyone she wants. She's a shape-shifter.
Old November 3 2013, 01:22 AM   #1470
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
The girl in The Hunger Games can look like anyone she wants. She's a shape-shifter.
Or maybe Mystique is just a big Jennifer Lawrence fan?