Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 2 2013, 10:06 AM   #211
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Things people often say you find amusing...

^^ Why make life unnecessarily harder? There are enough challenges to be found without playing around with elevators.

antichristhill wrote: View Post
Hollywood Werewolf wrote: View Post
RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
A number of years ago, there was a story in Analog where the question raised was whether or not a genetically engineered pig was kosher. The animal had been modified to chew its cud-- the reason was that it increased the nutritional value of the meat or would somehow increase the food supply, I forget the details. It was an interesting example of how science and technology can upend social assumptions.
Which leads to bizarre (to many Jews and non-Jews alike) cheats or work-arounds like the Shabbat elevator.
Wow. Reading stuff like that just makes me even happier to be an atheist; it's just so much easier.
That's pretty amazing. It mentions that they use them in Jewish hospitals-- I wonder if anyone has ever died because it takes five times longer to get to the OR on the Shabbat.
Old November 2 2013, 11:30 AM   #212
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

antichristhill wrote: View Post
RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
A number of years ago, there was a story in Analog where the question raised was whether or not a genetically engineered pig was kosher. The animal had been modified to chew its cud-- the reason was that it increased the nutritional value of the meat or would somehow increase the food supply, I forget the details. It was an interesting example of how science and technology can upend social assumptions.
Which leads to bizarre (to many Jews and non-Jews alike) cheats or work-arounds like the Shabbat elevator.
Wow. Reading stuff like that just makes me even happier to be an atheist; it's just so much easier.
I'm wondering, do they expect God to be fooled by this bullshit?

GOD: "Hey, you weren't allowed to operate electric switches. And I KNOW that this means you can't take the elevator on Shabbat. I invented the elevator, I am the creator of all things!!!! You tried to fool me? I dare you! I double-dare you, fool me again!!!"
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 12:02 PM   #213
iguana_tonante
Admiral

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
@auntiehill: Please don't take this the wrong way, but...well, if it was easy, what would be the point?
That's the point. There is no point.
Old November 2 2013, 08:27 PM   #214
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

In Southern California, we've always referred to "regular" roads as "surface streets" (as distinguished from freeways, which are often elevated above or sunk below grade level).
I don't know about the rest of the US, but in LA the word freeway is a paradox in itself (unless you're out and about at 4 am)
Old November 2 2013, 09:11 PM   #215
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
@auntiehill: Please don't take this the wrong way, but...well, if it was easy, what would be the point?
That's the point. There is no point.
So points are like spoons, then?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 09:20 PM   #216
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^ That makes sense. A surface street is one that never leaves the ground level.

Um...happiness? Being happy with reality and not putting unnecessary obstacles in people's way--that would be the point.

Life is already difficult. Why fuck things up even more with arbitrary, useless rules based on fairly tales and superstition? Is the wonder of nature, our entire planet and the universe itself not interesting enough? People need to make up random ghosts, monsters and rituals to give meaning to their lives?

That would be the point, I think.

But that's enough thread derailment. Let's put this train back on the tracks.

The test takers who, luckily for them, are being tested on English and not math, when they say things like, "---and studies prove that two-thirds of the people agree with me, and that's almost half!" Huh?

Or history:
"Rosa Parks, the heroine from Gone with the Wind, ran the underground railroad in the '30s." Wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Last edited by auntiehill; November 2 2013 at 09:31 PM.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 09:22 PM   #217
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Uh oh, I didn't mean to upset anyone. Much apologizings...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote