To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 2 2013, 08:46 AM   #1351
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

I bet they do something similar after Captain America 2 comes out.
Old November 2 2013, 11:29 AM   #1352
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

It'll be interesting to see how it works for people who haven't seen the movie compared with those who have.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 12:29 PM   #1353
Mr Light
Admiral

They've already said the later episodes of Season One will lead into the situation that SHIELD is in in "Winter Soldier".

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 01:17 PM   #1354
Reverend
Rear Admiral

What's the betting the stinger for that episode will be the Winter Soldier trailer?
I had a feeling they'd be doing something like this. I mean what's the point of having an ongoing show take place in the same continuity as a series of movies you're putting out at a rate of about two or three a year if you're not going to cross-promote?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 02:40 PM   #1355
Christopher
Writer

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
And there you have it what everyone expected.. Shield is also a marketing tool for the main movies. Who is shocked and surprised?
I don't think anyone has ever claimed that it would never tie into the films. Obviously what defines the MCU is its interconnectivity. The only thing I objected to was a claim that without the film promotion, the show would have no "point." I felt that was an oversimplification -- that, while it was obvious and axiomatic that the show would tie into the films, that didn't mean it was the only reason the show existed. As you say, the stories need to have merit on their own rather than existing exclusively as promotions.

It feels a bit redundant as people who watch Shield are highly likely to see the movies too...
Except that "people" are not a monolithic mass. A nationwide TV audience is a diverse thing. Yes, naturally the show is aimed at the people who are fans of the movies, but it's also aimed at bringing in a larger audience beyond that, people who are mainly TV viewers and haven't been interested in the movies, but who might be drawn into the MCU by the show -- say, people who like procedurals, or who watch their ABC affiliate's 7:30 programming and are too lazy to change the channel, or who are drawn in because they want to look at the extremely pretty people. It's a given that parts of a franchise in different media are going to attract different audiences; that's the whole point of doing them, so that you can expand the total reach of your franchise.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 03:06 PM   #1356
Forbin
Admiral

I don't LIKE going to the theater, so I always wait for the DVDs. What this may "encourage" me to do is stop watching SHIELD to avoid spoilers!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 03:12 PM   #1357
Christopher
Writer

^I expect the episode will avoid any huge spoilers for the movie, since it's a given that not everyone will be able or willing to see the movie before the episode.

Old November 2 2013, 04:11 PM   #1358
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

They'll probably throw in just enough info about the movie to whet people's appetites to go see what everyone on the show is talking about.
Old November 2 2013, 04:20 PM   #1359
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Reverend wrote: View Post
What's the betting the stinger for that episode will be the Winter Soldier trailer?
I had a feeling they'd be doing something like this. I mean what's the point of having an ongoing show take place in the same continuity as a series of movies you're putting out at a rate of about two or three a year if you're not going to cross-promote?
I had wondered before it started the amount of tie-ins. However, given the heavy Extremis emphasis, I figured Iron Man 3 was a must. I think the surprise to me is the quick turnaround rather than the fact that there are references at all.
Old November 2 2013, 05:06 PM   #1360
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
And there you have it what everyone expected.. Shield is also a marketing tool for the main movies. Who is shocked and surprised?

Doing this is a no-brainer. They'd be nuts not to do it.
Old November 2 2013, 06:17 PM   #1361
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well I'm happy that at least the whole Extremis thing wasn't just swept under the rug when Killian was killed. Which helps to make the whole MCU feel like a more cohesive set of movies and tv shows. While I'd like to see more super human response, I'm patient, it'll happen and since they can't really use 'mutants' or 'magic' per se, they have to rely on the more scientific and technologic explanations the previous movies have set up.

So once Centipede or whatever starts releasing super beings creating stuff out there, then I imagine we'll start seeing more super heroes that Marvel has rights to. I'm just looking at all this as the set up for a world full of super powered good guys and bad guys. The genie is coming out of its bottle. Just a matter of time.
Old November 2 2013, 07:18 PM   #1362
Pavonis
Commodore

Forbin wrote: View Post
I don't LIKE going to the theater, so I always wait for the DVDs. What this may "encourage" me to do is stop watching SHIELD to avoid spoilers!
Spoilers. Everything is a damn spoiler to someone. The existence of movies you haven't seen is a spoiler. Screw "spoilers".

Besides, they're NOT going to "spoil" anything, or else they'd fear no one would go see the damn movies.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 08:24 PM   #1363
Christopher
Writer

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Besides, they're NOT going to "spoil" anything, or else they'd fear no one would go see the damn movies.
That's true. The thing that's worth remembering is that writers often have to try to balance the needs of two different audiences at once -- e.g. people who are familiar with the comics and people who aren't, or people who are fans of the MCU and people who are new to it, or in this case people who've already seen Thor 2 and those who haven't. You never want to cater just to one group in a way that alienates the other; a basic part of the business is finding a balance that will work for both groups. So any Easter-egg allusions they make to the movie will be designed not to spoil too much for those who haven't seen it yet.

After all, as several people in the thread have acknowledged, one of the functions of the show is to help promote the Marvel movies. So this episode is probably going to be aimed more at people who haven't seen the movie yet than at people who have. It's going to be about whetting their appetites to see the movie, not ruining the experience for them. Anything it gives away about the movie will be more a teaser than a spoiler.

Me, I'm going to see the movie sometime before the episode airs on the 19th. But that's not because I'm afraid of being spoiled; it's just because I want to experience events in chronological order.

Old November 2 2013, 08:46 PM   #1364
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't think anyone has ever claimed that it would never tie into the films. Obviously what defines the MCU is its interconnectivity. The only thing I objected to was a claim that without the film promotion, the show would have no "point." I felt that was an oversimplification -- that, while it was obvious and axiomatic that the show would tie into the films, that didn't mean it was the only reason the show existed. As you say, the stories need to have merit on their own rather than existing exclusively as promotions.

Exactly. I think it's to be expected that it would tie into the movies somewhat, because hey, this is the Marvel Universe, a universe that is heavily interconnected throughout its movies. I don't think it's far-fetched to think they might be doing the same thing with the TV show by at least incorporating some subtle and not so subtle references of its movies while they make them. The TV show itself stands well enough on its own merits without having to be a marketing tool.

And yeah, they wouldn't spoil anything. Everything about the movies is designed to compliment each other, and I doubt they would make the TV any different in that regard.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 11:06 PM   #1365
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I think that they may be establishing the show as serving a connective role between the films...like the Phase 1 post-credits teasers and the One-Shots, but moreso.