Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 27 2013, 01:45 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: Dracula - NBC

Katie McGrath (Lucie) is the one cast member I'm most familiar with, since she was Morgana in Merlin up until last year. I was surprised to see her here as a blonde. And disappointed that she doesn't have a larger role. She's a much more impressive actress than DeGouw.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 03:22 PM   #17
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I always thought Katie was the weakest link in the Merlin cast.

I found her utterly unrecognizable in Dracula, but I expected that. Her promo pics didn't look at all like her (not just her hair color, her face seemed different), and she was inflecting her voice in such a way that she didn't sound like Morgana at all.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 03:23 PM   #18
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Apparently Katie McGrath is a natural blonde. And yeah, she did look like Keira Knightley in one shot.

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Oliver Jackson-Cohen as the most annoying Jonathan Harker I've ever seen.

^I don't think I've actually seen that one.
Anwar wrote: View Post
Be thankful then...
Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
It's not as bad as some make it out to be.
Gary Oldman as Drel-cool-ya... It's been a while but I liked it when I saw it.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 04:26 PM   #19
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Let's be honest. Jonathan Harker is a pretty thankless role. You're doomed to be cuckolded by Dracula and upstaged by Van Helsing. Quick, without consulting IMDB, who played Jonathan in the Bela Lugosi movie? In the Hammer Films version? In the Frank Langella version? In the Louis Jourdan version? In the Jack Palance version?

Nobody remembers Jonathan . . . .

And I confess I didn't recognize Katie McGrath at all, until Allyn pointed it out on-line.
Old October 27 2013, 05:39 PM   #20
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

Did anyone here take a look at the Dracula Rising animated web prequel?

(The video is limited to the United States only, and the Canadian broadcaster for the series hasn't added it to their website for the series.)

----------------------
The Star Fleet Universe: ST: TOS' other legacy.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 06:08 PM   #21
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

The only lead actor using his real accent is Jackson-Cohen — yet oddly his is the accent that sounds the most fake to me.
He seems to be doing a light North London accent rather than his own central London accent so that might account for it.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 06:23 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

^Good catch. I should've said "his own nationality" rather than "his real accent," since of course there's more than one English accent. I should've remembered that.

But that means that pretty much everyone in the show is doing a fake accent. Although I'm not sure whether Kretschmann's accent as Van Helsing is really Dutch or German. Can the German speakers on this board clear that up for me?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 10:13 PM   #23
publiusr
Commodore

I've always wanted a parody about Dracula getting forclosed upon and tat was the reason he moved. Harker worked for Countrywide--and so was the worst bloodsucker
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 10:24 PM   #24
publiusr
Commodore

I might have reversed the story. Have investigators go to the house of Dracula abord the Demeter, and have him a force of nature with strange things happening along the way until the fianl confrontation...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 03:51 AM   #25
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I would say that was terrible, but I'm not even sure what I just watched. The pilot didn't do a very good job of introducing the characters or the premise of the show. I might watch another episode or two, but I'm not very optimistic.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 10:31 AM   #26
Aragorn
Admiral

So based on Dracula's fake American accent, is Christian Slater one of his descendants?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 12:04 PM   #27
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Aragorn wrote: View Post
So based on Dracula's fake American accent, is Christian Slater one of his descendants?
Yes, and it is through nepotism that he is able to score all those exclusive interviews with vampires in the next century.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 12:25 PM   #28
Wereghost
Commodore

I found the pilot a little bit ho-hum and somewhat too knowingly anachronistic; the Dracula character feels like Rhys Meyer's audition for the part of Tony Stark. It's early days yet, though, and the show could go either way. Hopefully it'll gather momentum in the next couple of episodes.
Old November 2 2013, 03:37 PM   #29
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

After the second hour (and now 20% of the way through the series), I think I see where the series is going.

Dracula and Van Helsing have a plan to take down the Order of the Dragon. However, Jonathan Harker and Mina Murray are unforeseen complications in that plan, and Mina especially could be the plan's destruction as Dracula puts his need for love ahead of his desire for vengeance. With his relationship with Mina on shaky ground, Jonathan will investigate further into Alexander Grayson's past, which will lead to his discovery that Grayson is actually a vampire. Jonathan will give this knowledge to the Order of the Dragon because he sees it as the only way to save Mina from Dracula's clutches. With his identity exposed, his business interests under attack, and his love for Mina possibly spurned, Dracula will go over the edge, forcing his former ally Van Helsing to destroy him.

I'm not sure, though, if the Order of the Dragon will survive.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 05:02 PM   #30
Pauln6
Commodore

It seemed like a mix of Dracula and the Great Gatsby. I agree that the music felt off and some of the women's costuming is a bit over the top for the period but it was fun enough.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote