Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 15 2013, 05:19 PM   #196
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Civilization V

There had been the steam leak so I knew it was coming (although the name there didn't have "Brave" in it). I'm glad to hear it announced, although my firewall at work blocks the link.
Old March 15 2013, 06:11 PM   #197
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

The key features mentioned in the article are:
  • The first player to discover all other civs founds The World Congress, which is a UN-type body that adopts resolutions such as sanctions or banning the trade of certain resources. Votes aren't instantaneous, after a resolution is proposed you spend several turns trying to convince other civs to your side or buy their votes. This new body will provide a new diplomatic victory.
  • Trade routes are added. You create them using caravans or cargo ships and can use them to trade with other civs or between cities in your own empire. It will be possible to trade food and production between cities so you can quickly buff up a newly founded city, or to assist in the construction of wonders. Religion can spread via trade routes, and trade routes will somehow allow you to acquire technologies from more advanced civs.
  • There's a new culture victory that requires you to spread your culture somehow with great works. There'll be some sort of archaeologist (unit?) that investigates old battle sites and ruined cities.
  • 9 new civilizations, one of which is Poland.
Old March 15 2013, 06:52 PM   #198
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Any news on what the new units will be?
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 07:43 PM   #199
Alidar Jarok

I'm looking at the link now. Poland is a bit of a surprise. There are a lot of Polish Civ fans who have been pushing for them forever (although the last expansion had quite a bit of European civs). The changes to cultural victory are quite a surprise, but I'm intrigued. Trade routes could work, although it's odd that they're using a civ2 system.

O Brave New World that Has Such People in It.

ETA: That siege tower unquestionably looks Assyrian, so we might finally see the Assyrian Empire in the game.
Old March 17 2013, 03:10 PM   #200
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Having read the RPS interview, the expansion sounds very ambitious, particularly ideologies and cultural influence:

If you push that cultural pressure out on them hard enough, and you have a different ideology than they do, then you can actually start to see effects in the game that are sort of similar to the 1989 bringing down of the Berlin wall, maybe Arab Spring sort of thing that we’ve seen more recently, where the people within those AI civilisations will start to become very unhappy about their leadership having adopted an unpopular ideology. And they will actually gain a whole bunch of unhappiness and they can actually choose, wow, we really need to switch and adopt freedom or order, or whatever the ideology that’s putting that cultural pressure on them is.
That seems like it would radically change the endgame, but it would be a bugger to balance, and Firaxis don't have the best track record of having balanced games at release.
Old March 24 2013, 05:26 AM   #201
Alidar Jarok

Pax East had a Firaxis Panel that discussed Civ5 and XCOM (starts about 5 hours, 20 minutes in). They also talked about the development process quite a bit. They planned to include a Pueblo civilization that represented both the Pueblos as we know them and the earlier Anasazi cliff dwellers led by Popé. Unfortunately, they had to leave them out when Pueblos objected to one of their most revered leaders being represented in a video game.

The game demo starts at about 6:03 or so

However, for substantive information:
You get to see more Poland
Assyria confirmed in (Ashurbanipal as the leader)
Brazil is in
They discuss trade Caravans in considerable more detail

And, for fun:
[spoiler=Right at the End]They reveal a new future unit: XCOM Squad, that acts as an advance paratrooper and can have their Skyranger drop them 40 tiles away to respond essentially anywhere in the world when needed).

Last edited by Alidar Jarok; March 24 2013 at 05:52 AM.
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 04:31 AM   #202
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

Finally got around to trying gods and kings. I like it. I got the Koreans as my random race and so far I haven't lost with them. Just min maxing wonder/science and out tech-ing people while using their early hwacha artillery unit to hold off invasion has been able to win me every game by the industrial era. I even had the three other countries on my continent declare war at the same time, but by then I had the hwacha killing everything before they could do any real damage. Then I was able to hold on like this till I had infantry that could destroy their horseback units. Not to mention all the benefits I was getting from piling on wonders. It seems almost overpowered to give an additional science boost for every built wonder and science building, plus bonus science from great person structures considering these all already come with pretty good benefits. Their bonus unit also comes right at the time you're trying to pull away from everyone else so the slight advantage is enough.
Old June 10 2013, 09:15 PM   #203
Alidar Jarok

I figured it was a good time to bump this thread since all the civs have been revealed (really, leaked):

Assyria
Brazil
Indonesia
Morocco
Poland
Portugal
Venice
Zulu

All the details can be found here

There's also details on how France has been completely overhauled.
Old June 11 2013, 12:55 AM   #204
Steven
Admiral

Looks pretty neat.

FYI, Brave New World is 10% off on Steam for pre-order until it is released.
Old November 1 2013, 11:30 PM   #205
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Heh, I've now gotten Civ5 for free just for voting on the golden josticks, and both expansions together for £10. I should probably get into this.
Old November 2 2013, 02:23 PM   #206
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

For full enjoyment, make sure to play Civs 1-4 first.

Nah, just jump in some time. The worst that can possibly happen is the genocide of your people.
Old November 2 2013, 03:17 PM   #207
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
For full enjoyment, make sure to play Civs 1-4 first.
Especially 4, because Nimoy.
-- Victoria Coren Mitchell
Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 04:37 PM   #208
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I got Brave New World during the recent Steam sale and just finished my first game, playing as Morocco as they seemed well-placed to try the new trade routes and culture system. Thought I'd post my impressions.

Trade routes: I really like the way this was implemented, which surprises me as when I first saw that it was unit-based I feared it would similar to Civ2's basic implementation. I had imagined an abstract system like espionage would be better. But the fact that trade routes can be lost so easily, which is effectively wasted production, encouraged me to build up a navy earlier in the game than I typically would in order to defend from pirates. The way that trade routes also transmit religion, science, and culture makes them a subtly powerful mechanic.

World Congress: I liked the UN stuff in Civs 3 and 4, but it always came so late in the game that it barely had any impact. It's good that they put it earlier in the game this time to fix that, and this is probably the best implementation they had for such a mechanic so far. As someone that normally only half-engages with city-states, this gave me a new reason to focus on them and get more alliances.

Tourism: I love this idea of offensive and defensive culture. I aimed for a culture victory, and nearly won with 6 of 8 civilizations under my influence and 2 more above 80% when time ran out, so I won a score victory instead. I might actually have won a culture victory had I known about the tourism bonuses for arranging types of great work in specific buildings, I guess I'll know better next time. But it was fun to attack the other civs with something other than my armies and watching as they slowly fell further under my influence.

Ideologies: This was probably my favourite part of the game. I've always been a little disappointed in the geopolitical aspect of the Civ games, so I really liked the way that ideologies forced me to rethink old relationships. I chose Freedom as that seemed well-suited for a cultural victory, which put me in the same faction as Siam, Venice, and Babylon. The Ottomans, who had original picked Order, quickly rebelled due to cultural pressure from Siam and myself, joining the Freedom fold. All five civs, who used to be at odds with one another to a certain extent, suddenly found ourselves in a very stable pact of mutual friendship.

Mongolia, the Celts, and Assyria were Autocratic states, while the Mayans managed to resist cultural pressure to remain the sole Order nation. When Mongolia conquered several city-states, I denounced them, which led to the Celts and Assyria denouncing me. But as my cultural pressure on Mongolia grew, rebels began to attack their capital (which I could see due to my spy in the city). A Mongolian city eventually flipped to my civilization, and a few turns later Mongolia revolted and adopted Freedom. This angered the Celts, who soon turned on Mongolia and invaded.

This is the sort of stuff I always wanted in Civilization, and it's finally here. I've only played one game so I'm not able to tell if they've balanced all these mechanics right, but I'm really pleased with what I've seen so far.
Old December 11 2013, 06:09 PM   #209
Marten
Captain

I do believe that Brave New World has made the game better, but I can't shake the thought that trade routes have made making money far to easy. In the original game, you hade to actively try to make money to have the large amount of money nedded to spend on city states and emergency units. With BNW, getting really rich is easy, you can easily buy all city states without building a single "cottage" (I forget the name, but the money making upgrades on the map).

Otherwise, I think you make solid points.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 07:01 PM   #210
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I did notice in my game that I was earning a lot of money, but I thought that might have been down to Morocco's unique ability (+3 gold per trade route) combined with the fact I was playing one difficulty lower than I normally do. I'll have to play more games before I get a full picture, I guess.