RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,393
Posts: 5,505,514
Members: 25,130
Currently online: 413
Newest member: OneOfFour

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 1 2013, 01:41 PM   #16
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

So we can just assume the OP has never seen TOS or much of anything Trek outside of TNG?

* Most of the Trek movies over the years have been action movies to lesser and greater degrees. Only TMP and TVH don't really fit that mold.

As for showing off women as sex objects:

And that's just a small sample.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 01:43 PM   #17
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

teacock wrote: View Post
Cara007 wrote: View Post

Why is Kirk have sex with two cat women at the same time.
Maybe they are born in litters so only have sex in litters and Kirk is being sensitive to other species by agreeing to frak them both.
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 01:47 PM   #18
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Cara007 wrote: View Post

Why is Kirk have sex with two cat women at the same time.
If it's consensual between all three parties, what exactly is the problem? People experiment with sex all through their lives.
Besides, how else is M'Ress suppose to get a promotion to a bridge station?

Next movie: We need Kirk getting it on with an Edosian female.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 01:52 PM   #19
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

On the other hand I will agree slightly on Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof being at fault for that scene.

Bald Caitians, still not happy about that.

*eye twitch*
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 01:54 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Chrysalis wrote: View Post

Bald Caitians, still not happy about that.

*eye twitch*
I think that would be more the fault of Abrams and the make-up department?
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 01:57 PM   #21
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Chrysalis wrote: View Post

Bald Caitians, still not happy about that.

*eye twitch*
I think that would be more the fault of Abrams and the make-up department?
Don't ruin the joke
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 01:59 PM   #22
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Chrysalis wrote: View Post
On the other hand I will agree slightly on Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof being at fault for that scene.

Bald Caitians, still not happy about that.

*eye twitch*
Hey now...

Maybe Kirk is a man that likes shaved...uh "Caitians". Not every guy likes a fury Caitian.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 02:10 PM   #23
Jeyl
Commodore
 
Jeyl's Avatar
 
Location: Asheville, NC
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
* Most of the Trek movies over the years have been action movies to lesser and greater degrees. Only TMP and TVH don't really fit that mold.
Yeah, and TMP and TVH are two of the most successful Star Trek movies in the whole line up.

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
As for showing off women as sex objects:
By treating women like this, are we honoring Star Trek as a franchise, or honoring the mind set of the male demographic from the 60's era television? Because if using the 60's mindset is the best way to bring Star Trek back, you might as well bring back the obvious sexism as well.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 02:13 PM   #24
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Jeyl wrote: View Post

Yeah, and TMP and TVH are two of the most successful Star Trek movies in the whole line up.
If you adjust for inflation, Star Trek Into Darkness and Star Trek (2009) are the two most successful Trek films if you go by theatrical gross.

But, to me, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is the most financially successful of the movies making back nearly eight times its production budget.

Just depends on how you want to define "successful".
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 02:18 PM   #25
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain
 
SantaSpock's Avatar
 
Location: CommishSleer
View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Cara007 wrote: View Post
teacock wrote: View Post
Twisted sex scenes?!

Why is Kirk having sex with two cat women at the same time. Orci and his friends writes Kirk as an 18 years old college frat boy freshman who loves to experiment with sex because its fun.

Kirk is more of a horn dog. There is a fine line between been a ladies man and been a horn dog. A perfect example is how Nolan and his writer brother David Nolan wrote Bruce Wayne in their Barman film series.


Am sorry but the year is almost over. I can't defend STID anymore. the film was good but it was just a missed opportunity overall.
Look I sort of agree with you but it as only for 10 seconds screen time. In fact I forgot there was a sex scene in the movie at all.
I as more offended by Kirk leering at Marcus in her underwear. But again it was only about 5 seconds screen time.
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 02:18 PM   #26
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Chrysalis wrote: View Post
On the other hand I will agree slightly on Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof being at fault for that scene.

Bald Caitians, still not happy about that.

*eye twitch*
Hey now...

Maybe Kirk is a man that likes shaved...uh "Caitians". Not every guy likes a fury Caitian.
Sustaining a brazilian to over 80% of your body would be time consuming at least
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 02:22 PM   #27
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Jeyl wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
* Most of the Trek movies over the years have been action movies to lesser and greater degrees. Only TMP and TVH don't really fit that mold.
Yeah, and TMP and TVH are two of the most successful Star Trek movies in the whole line up.
* And yet a lot of fans bitch that TMP is the "Slow Motion Picture". That's bloated and boring, and nothing happens.

* TVH is "Time After Time" with the serial numbers filed off. The "Fish out of water time traveler" story, with Star Trek tropes and characters pasted over.


SeerSGB wrote: View Post
As for showing off women as sex objects:
By treating women like this, are we honoring Star Trek as a franchise, or honoring the mind set of the male demographic from the 60's era television? Because if using the 60's mindset is the best way to bring Star Trek back, you might as well bring back the obvious sexism as well.
That's the thing for all the cries about sexism in the new movies: do we really see it?

We see competent, professional, women who are comfortable with their bodies, who don't fall for Kirk's pick up lines. These aren't you nurse Chapels or Yeoman Rands. These are women that know their jobs, can hold their old against any man on the ship, and don't take bullshit.

I don't think nudity and / or skippy costumes automatically equal sexism. I think you have to take in the whole character and account for the total package.

Chrysalis wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Chrysalis wrote: View Post
On the other hand I will agree slightly on Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof being at fault for that scene.

Bald Caitians, still not happy about that.

*eye twitch*
Hey now...

Maybe Kirk is a man that likes shaved...uh "Caitians". Not every guy likes a fury Caitian.
Sustaining a brazilian to over 80% of your body would be time consuming at least
Transporter tech or maybe Schick offers a line of ladies phaser-razors (say that 5x fast)

The Umbrella Corporation wrote: View Post
Cara007 wrote: View Post
teacock wrote: View Post
Twisted sex scenes?!

Why is Kirk having sex with two cat women at the same time. Orci and his friends writes Kirk as an 18 years old college frat boy freshman who loves to experiment with sex because its fun.

Kirk is more of a horn dog. There is a fine line between been a ladies man and been a horn dog. A perfect example is how Nolan and his writer brother David Nolan wrote Bruce Wayne in their Barman film series.


Am sorry but the year is almost over. I can't defend STID anymore. the film was good but it was just a missed opportunity overall.
Look I sort of agree with you but it as only for 10 seconds screen time. In fact I forgot there was a sex scene in the movie at all.
I as more offended by Kirk leering at Marcus in her underwear. But again it was only about 5 seconds screen time.
The scene didn't bother so much for that. It being there doesn't even bother me: basic walk and talk scene. What bugged me was setting it on the shuttle. A locker room or her quarters would have made more sense to me. Still, it's not a terrible scene.
__________________
- SeerSGB -

Last edited by SeerSGB; November 1 2013 at 02:42 PM.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 02:41 PM   #28
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain
 
SantaSpock's Avatar
 
Location: CommishSleer
View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

I've been watching Season 1 of TNG lately and I'm amazed at how sexist it was.

The amount of times the camera focuses on Trois cleavage is incredible. I didn't realise it when I first watched Season 1. I saw more closeups of Trois boobs in one episode than I saw of any women in the movies including ST09 and STID.

You never saw anything particularly revealing but its sort of funny looking back now on the boob zoom.
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 02:44 PM   #29
captainkirk
Commander
 
captainkirk's Avatar
 
Location: South Africa
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Cara007 wrote: View Post

In TNG, I still get chills watching Picard, Worf, Riker,
Dr. Crusher, Geordi, Deanna and Data all sitting together in the commanding room giving their opinions on things or what the next step there is to take.
Most of the time, I got sleepy.

The above is the kiss of death for a Trek movie. Most no one wants to pay $10-15 to watch people sit around a conference table hashing things out.
Some months ago I rewatched Q Who. During this encounter with a completely unknown but obviously hostile race, Picard orders a meeting. And then I believe he has another meeting later on. I can't think of any better way to suck the drama out of a story than to constantly interrupt it with everyone leaving to have a long discussion instead of actually driving the story forward.

And just to clarify my earlier post, I was confused about how Orci and co are unable to write a script with depth because they're men, which is what the OP implied.
__________________
My Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/adrparkinson
captainkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 02:57 PM   #30
Jeyl
Commodore
 
Jeyl's Avatar
 
Location: Asheville, NC
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Just depends on how you want to define "successful".
TMP was successful in booting Gene Roddenberry off the producer's chair.

TWOK was successful in telling a story that was actually about something.

TSFS was successful at telling a story without a key cast member, something that has not been done since.

TVH was successful in showing that you can follow up two dark and depressing movies with a light hearted and fun movie.

TFF was successful in proving that you can discount a movie from the series and suffer no consequences from the continuing narrative.

TUC was successful at giving the classic crew one last outing.

Generations was successful in putting the "Kirk vs. Picard" debate to rest once and for all. Kirk wins, Picard suuuuuuuuucks.

First Contact was successful for following TWOK's formula in continuing a story from an episode of their said series, having our hero be flawed and also being a horror story.

Insurrection is successful at existing.

Nemesis was successful at killing the original Star Trek universe.

Trek09 was successful in proving you can make a Star Trek story based solely on the general movie goers interpretation of what the franchise is even though they've never seen it.

Into Darkness was successful at proving Benedict Cumberbatch makes things better for international audiences.

And Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof are successful at proving that no matter how much time you have at your disposal in perfecting a script, they still can't write a competent story that makes any kind of narrative sense.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.