Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old October 31 2013, 07:38 PM   #16
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: Why I like Enterprise so much

Standout ENT S1 episodes for me:
Broken Bow
The Andorian Incident
Fortunate Son
Cold Front
Silent Enemy
Sleeping Dogs
Shadows of P'Jem
Detained
Two Days and Two Nights
Shockwave, Part 1

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 09:25 PM   #17
Rennick
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The claustrophobia and solitude of the adventure -- like you said -- is dead on, and something that deserved to be explored more. Excellent point.
Rennick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 09:58 PM   #18
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I completely agree with the claustrophobia, that's one reason I like the NX-01 so much. It feels like a real ship, with real limitations that is not always easy to live on, surrounded by overwhelming amounts of real space.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 11:47 PM   #19
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

Yep, claustrophobia. And really, considering the canon sizes of the ships, even the larger ones probably should have appeared smaller on screen. After all, most of us live in rooms that are about 10 feet high, maybe 15 feet diagonally or so (small bedrooms are often 9 feet by 9 feet). 3 feet is a little less than a meter.

Even the 2009 Enterprise is 610 - 910 meters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Enterprise), or around 1976 - 2948 feet. Even with standard small bedrooms, that's 220 - 327 of them on the entire ship (I can't recall how large that crew was, but there were more people than the 90 or so on the NX-01), with no room whatsoever for engines, the bridge, sickbay, any recreational facilities, an armory, cargo storage, transporter room, etc. Doubling people up in such tiny spaces is possible but that would show even more claustrophobia.

It is possible to fit in everyone and everything, but even on a ship of that size, it should have seemed a helluva lot tighter. Enterprise absolutely gets this feeling right, I feel.
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 12:06 AM   #20
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Wonderful thread!

I enjoy reading positive comments about Enterprise (for a change)

Old November 1 2013, 12:08 AM   #21
Rennick
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also -- keeping with the feeling of claustrophobia, Enterprise felt more like a submarine than any other starship, especially with the design of the corridor, as well as the general interior.
Old November 1 2013, 12:40 AM   #22
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

The NX-01 really is a great ship, and I personally love the overall design and think it fits perfectly within the 22nd Century timeframe and aesthetic. I also like that it has a smaller 'feel' to it because, like everyone else, I think it makes things feel more 'real'.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 01:15 AM   #23
Rennick
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm also a fan of their uniforms, which to me reflect the exploratory nature of their space mission. They are somewhat reminiscent of astronaut jumpsuits.
Old November 1 2013, 01:31 AM   #24
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

The NX-01 bridge was, IMO, the best designed. It felt like a functional workspace. From the outside, the ship was on the ugly side. However, it was entirely appropriate for what it was supposed to be: more like a USS Monitor than a USS Nimitz.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 03:17 AM   #25
C_Miller
Captain

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
ENT is my fourth favorite Trek series. But probably better than 90% of the TV shows that aired between 1990 and 2010. (Which is way fainter praise, of course, than calling it your third favorite Trek series).

I don't know what you're watching, but we're currently in a Golden Age of Television and have been for some time now starting with The West Wing and the Sopranos in the late 90s. In fact, that's one of my main problems with Enterprise and Voyager. They're telling stories the same way Trek had done since 1987 while sharing the airwaves with some amazing and forward thinking television.

Enterprise got there in Season 3, but that's too little too late. With all of the great shows out there hitting the ground running from Episode One, the Trek Model where they use the first two seasons to find their footing just doesn't work. If Trek ever comes back to the small screen, they need to find away to be captivating from the first shot.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 08:05 AM   #26
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Yes a huge slab of stuff from our current Golden Age of Television is better than ENT. And better than every single Star Trek series.

But it's not Star Trek. It's like getting asked to agree that your favorite dog is, really you have to admit, not as good as the newly released DOG 2.0.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 09:03 AM   #27
Alienesse
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Alienesse

The interior feel of the ship is also one of the reasons why I love ENT, for the reasons already stated.

And what's true about the ship is also true about the crew. People are rougher around the edges, they have insecurities and flaws, they're both excited and afraid of what their mission involves. I really liked the notion that this really is the first crew to go on a long-term deep space mission. Of course there are going to be mistakes and bad decisions, but that is only true to life.
Old November 12 2013, 11:51 AM   #28
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I am a Season 3 & 4 ENTERPRISE fan, personally. The icing on the cake for me, though, was that they finally got the Vulcan make-up to look right on Jolene Blalock. It was very hard to look at her with that nappy wig they'd throw on TNG's Vulcan guest stars, for so long - and take her seriously, in it. It always seemed like the show never took her seriously, always asking her to take her top off and not really developing T'Pol as fully as she deserved. But no matter ... outside of a couple real stinkers, I think the third & fourth seasons of ENT are great STAR TREK in its finest tradition. It's most enjoyable.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 02:12 PM   #29
Yanks
Fleet Captain

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
...was that they finally got the Vulcan make-up to look right on Jolene Blalock. It was very hard to look at her with that nappy wig they'd throw on TNG's Vulcan guest stars, for so long - and take her seriously, in it. It always seemed like the show never took her seriously, always asking her to take her top off and not really developing T'Pol as fully as she deserved. But no matter ... outside of a couple real stinkers, I think the third & fourth seasons of ENT are great STAR TREK in its finest tradition. It's most enjoyable.
Totally agree about the "T'Pol look" in season 3. They got it spot on I thought and while the colorful catsuits were nice, it was the hair that set her off for me. (as if I needed something more to set me off )

I did a "stinker comparison" one time comparing ENT to the other series. I found that it had less that the others in the 1st 4 years of their run. Some of the others had more higher ranking episodes, but more stinkers as well.

But I'm a fan of the entire series, I'm sure others' results will vary.
Old November 13 2013, 05:55 AM   #30
BruntFCA
Commander

I've always wondered what the thinking was with T'Pols look in the first two seasons. You take your "sexy" character and put her in a horrible rug of a wig and the ugliest catsuit ever made?