RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 480
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old October 28 2013, 03:11 AM   #91
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Re: Batman: Arkham 3

OK... I beat him. After about 2 dozen tries, I figured out exactly where he's vulnerable and actually got a trophy for hitting him every chance I could. Back to Gotham!!
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 09:36 PM   #92
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

How's the combat in this game compared to the other Arkham games? I was told by somebody that the developers that made the original didn't develop this one. Is the stealth component still as good as it is in Arkham City?
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 10:14 PM   #93
RoJoHen
Awesome

Honestly, if I didn't know better, I would have thought this game was made by the exact same company as the previous two. Aside from a couple control changes, gameplay (combat, stealth, etc) is pretty much identical. Even half of the game map is identical to Arkham City, aside from some aesthetic changes because that part of Gotham hasn't been converted into a prison yet.
Old October 28 2013, 11:32 PM   #94
RoJoHen
Awesome

Just finished the story, and I'm only at 25% completion for the game. There must be a lot of extra shit around Gotham left to do!
Old October 29 2013, 02:58 AM   #95
RoJoHen
Awesome

Okay, I've kinda processed the story a bit more since finishing it, and here's my overall review. I'll try and keep it vague for the spoiler-phobes.

It felt short. Here we are in this world that is literally twice as big as the world in the previous game, but I don't really think they took advantage of that. Most of the missions in the "new section" probably could have been worked into the old section with relative ease. All they'd have to do is convert some of the unused buildings into other things. There are sections of the city that I don't even think I ventured into throughout the whole game.

I was a little disappointed by the different assassins and the Black Mask part of the story (which I was lead to believe was the whole story). I was hoping to get to know some new characters, but instead they all played like random bosses. The gameplay was fine, but the story left me wanting.

Overall, I liked the game (and I still have a lot of side missions to do). It definitely felt like a part of the Arkham continuity, and the gameplay was good, but for a game that was literally twice as big as its predecessor, it somehow seemed smaller.

If I had to grade it now, I'd probably give it a B. I'm only at 25% completion, so obviously there is a lot more to accomplish. I wish that games like this would do a better job of including the side missions in the main story. I shouldn't be able to finish the story and still have 3/4 of the game left to play!
Old October 29 2013, 07:11 AM   #96
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Good Lord, I didn't realize I had accidentally set the difficulty to high, and boy was it ever. I've gratefully set it back to my "Normal" comfort zone and am much happier now, might be able to finally proceed tomorrow.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 12:16 PM   #97
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Yeah... From what you were describing, it sounded like hard difficulty. The game is much more fun on normal.
Old October 29 2013, 07:27 PM   #98
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I'm enjoying it. Interesting to see locales from Arkham City in better condition. I'd love to do direct screenie comparisons had I the time. I know in City you could see the Asylum island offshore but I haven't checked from Origins.

Gameplay is of course similar. I've enjoyed the two case recreations I've done so far. I've just gotten to meeting the Penguin, myself.
Old October 29 2013, 10:52 PM   #99
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Looks like there are 15 or 16 criminals you have to or can catch...
Not just the 10 assasins and Black Mask, but 4 or 5 more...
Old October 30 2013, 02:28 AM   #100
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 07:16 PM   #101
RoJoHen
Awesome

Played around for a couple more hours yesterday after beating the story. Tracked down some criminals...unlocked all of the Riddler radio towers...completed the Anarky mission...

I dunno, there's just something about this game that's less satisfying that the previous two. Maybe it is just that it was more of the same. Honestly, this game almost felt like an Arkham City Expansion Pack rather than a game all its own.

Have we heard anything about Arkham 4? There were rumors earlier this year that Kevin Conroy let slip that he was recording "the new Batman game," but he wasn't referring to "Arkham Origins." The theory at the time was that Rocksteady was working on an Arkham City sequel, which is why they let WB develop Origins to help tide us over.
Old October 30 2013, 09:46 PM   #102
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I'm not sure if Conroy meant a game or the Arkham-based DTV that's supposed to be similar to the game.
Old October 31 2013, 03:37 PM   #103
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Random thought, but wouldn't it be cool if the next Rocksteady game uses 'No Man's Land' as a basis? And after that, maybe Batman Beyond?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 07:31 PM   #104
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if Conroy meant a game or the Arkham-based DTV that's supposed to be similar to the game.
I don't know... In the post I made earlier in this thread, Conroy very clearly referred to a "New Arkham Game" he had been doing voice work for over the last 10 months.

I will say this... If WB is planning to annualize this franchise, they'd better do more than just regurgitate the same old every year or risk falling into certainly mediocrity. As it stands now, Rocksteady is hopefully working in something totally awesome and different than previous titles.... If they are doing the next Arkham game.
Old November 1 2013, 03:18 AM   #105
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

I haven't finished it yet, but I'm close. The boss fights are some of the best I've ever seen!! The Firefly fight was very cinematic. Aside from all the technical glitches, this is a very ambitious game. I'm impressed with the new WB Montreal and hope they get a chance to flex their development skills after this. I've read on other forums that some people are declaring this the best Arkham game yet. I don't quite agree with that, but I can see how some see it that way. This is a pretty good game.