Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 21 2013, 02:01 AM   #91
Push The Button
Captain

Re: Amok Time repercussions?

The Umbrella Corporation wrote: View Post
prizzm wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
Third, maybe nobody thought Stonn was good enough for their daughter!
That brings up another thought. Sarek was socially prominent, but since Spock was only half human, would he have been acceptable to many Vulcan parents as a mate for their daughter? Spock and Amanda may have had to go down pretty far on the marriage list to get T'Pring.
Probably the real reason T'Pring wanted out was that she didn't want to be married to a half human

James Blish novelisation says T'Pring says she wants Stonn because he is a dufus -easy to control
It also says that T'Pau didn't give Kirk the out at challenge. She allowed Spock to decide and Spock said No. If they had actually done it that way I wonder what we would have thought of their friendship 45 years later
Hm, I'm trying to imagine what a Vulcan dufus would be like .. maybe Stonn's IQ was only 180? Or, because of a learning disability, he only speaks five languages, and didn't master particle physics until the ripe old age of 12?
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 02:06 AM   #92
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
prizzm wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
Third, maybe nobody thought Stonn was good enough for their daughter!
That brings up another thought. Sarek was socially prominent, but since Spock was only half human, would he have been acceptable to many Vulcan parents as a mate for their daughter?
Vulcans are supposed to be a logical species. Racial prejudice of this sort is hardly logical.

Then again, the head of the Vulcan science council in ST XI is similarly bigoted, so I guess they found a way to explain it.
Wouldn't be the first time a 'superior' group of people failed to live up to their own PR.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 05:59 AM   #93
prizzm
Ensign

^
Since Spock was free after his marriage to T'Pring fell through, presumably he would have been free to choose another woman. After all, Sarek had been free to choose Amanda. What if Spock had chosen to marry a human? Would Sarek have welcomed her into the family, or would he have snubbed her and Spock? Logic or no logic, Vulcans can look down on people and can hold grudges. Look at the way Sarek held a grudge against Spock for eighteen years just because Spock had joined Starfleet. Imagine if he married a human. Never mind that Sarek had married a human himself. "Do as I say, not as I do" seems to apply to Vulcans as well as humans.
prizzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 01:15 AM   #94
Corylea
Lieutenant Commander

I guess we all know that the real reason why pon farr was mentioned in "The Cloud Minders" is because the people who were rewriting scripts to make them consistent in Seasons 1 and 2 had left the show by Season 3. In his second autobiography, Leonard Nimoy reports that the initial script for "All Our Yesterdays" had Spock eating meat and falling in love with Zarabeth with no explanation whatsoever, and when he pointed out to Fred Freiberger that Spock wouldn't DO such things, this was news to Freiberger. So an awful lot of things happened that shouldn't have happened if the show's producers were being consistent ... or if they actually knew anything about the show that they were supposed to be in charge of.

Miss Manners says that the proper response to someone farting in public is to simply pretend that it didn't happen. I know that the usual fan idea is that anything that happens on-screen is canon, but I think that certain elements of Season 3 should probably be ... delicately overlooked. Pon farr mention in "The Cloud Minders"? What pon farr mention in "The Cloud Minders?" I didn't see that, noooooo.

As for why Vulcan mating is violent and messy, it's because Roddenberry wanted it that way. In his second autobiography, Leonard Nimoy quotes from a memo that Roddenberry sent around in May of 1966:

[Emotional repression on Vulcan] probably led to a need for hypnosis as a part of the sex act, and we may gather from time to time that love on Spock's planet has a somewhat more violent quality than Earth's aesthetics permit mankind to enjoy. (Unless NBC changes its policies somewhat, we will probably not do an episode dealing directly with this subject.)

(Italicized quote taken from "I Am Spock," by Leonard Nimoy, first hardcover edition, page 66.)

I suppose plak tow could be considered similar to that hypnosis that Roddenberry thought Vulcans would need to be able to get it on -- it's an altered state of consciousness that leads Vulcans to do things that they wouldn't ordinarily do.
Corylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 04:35 AM   #95
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Sarek would never have disdained Spock for falling in love with a human. Sarek's obvious love for Amanda would override everything. Sarek would have no reason to hold a grudge against Spock for his choice of mate.