TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old October 30 2013, 04:15 PM   #886
Scout101
Admiral

Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Keep the reverse jinx coming! I'd be more nervous if you suddenly got on board

And to answer your question, Ortiz has something like 27 hits in 15 at bats...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old October 30 2013, 05:47 PM   #887
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

As a Red Sox and a NFL Giants fan (Not that I care at all about football)I'm used to "The Pats will cream the Giants" and then they play the game and the Giants win. Or last year ESPN said the Sox would win 100 games before winning the World Series and we know how that ended.

If the Red Sox win I will party and jump up and down. But we play the games for a reason and many MANY times, like 1986, the Sox have blown both games 6 and 7 to lose the World Series.

Plus it's my birthday, so if they win before midnight I will be very happy.
Old October 30 2013, 07:34 PM   #888
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Ortiz has something like 27 hits in 15 at bats...
Uh...
Old October 30 2013, 07:36 PM   #889
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Is Papi juicin?
Old October 30 2013, 10:35 PM   #890
Scout101
Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
Ortiz has something like 27 hits in 15 at bats...
Uh...
Yeah, obviously a joke. Just saying, that's about what it feels like. Actual numbers are something like 11/15, .733 AVG. He's a friggin' monster right now.

Yanks wrote: View Post
Is Papi juicin?
I'm sorry, but that's just lame. His numbers in a vacuum? Other-worldly. But last week, he was not so hot in the ALCS. Surely he didn't get magical steroids between series that kick in with instant gains, right? (on account of that not being possible). So either he was juicing the whole time and had a shitty ALCS but suddenly an awesome WS, or wasn't doing anything either time and just is on a hot streak. Since they don't magically kick in overnight, kinda retarded to just point at the last few days and say 'suspect'

Especially when your username hints you may be a fan of the poster boys for steroid cheating. By number of users AND significance of the users. Just saying...

I'm definitely ready for the 'steroid era' to be definitively closed, though. Let's go all out; mandatory monthly blood tests (not just urine), even in the off season. Every player. PEDs, HGH, run it. Big penalties for a positive result. Instead of bullshit innuendo every time someone gets 3 hits in a game, let's make the testing rigorous enough that we can just say the answer is no. Will also cut the crap where someone cheats in the offseason to get big, takes their 50 game ban, and then gets to play in the post-season while still having the muscle bulk they gained with the steroids. The thing with Peralta was by the book, but total bullshit. Did his ban, but should have included playoffs. Otherwise, you didn't really get punished. Time to get serious about it, and cut out all the bullshit rumors from both fanbases AND media.

If I was Ortiz, I'd be a real dick about these rumors (assuming he's not cheating, of course ) When he goes to pick up his MVP trophy, pay for your own testing, and take out a nice ad in the paper to post the results with a Fuck You to the specific media members calling him out on it. Media works so that you have the platform to 'wonder' about people, and no accountability if you're wrong, no apology. Kinda crappy....
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey

Last edited by Scout101; October 30 2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old October 30 2013, 10:56 PM   #891
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

You pissed off a Red Sox fan Yanks, RUN AWAY!
Old October 31 2013, 12:13 AM   #892
Scout101
Admiral

Not pissed off, just a dumb accusation. And took the lazy way out by just dropping it as a drive-by.
Old October 31 2013, 12:26 AM   #893
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Well, the thing is is that Ortiz is a confirmed PED user, at least in the past. Not saying it should have any bearing on his MVP candidacy, because as I've said steroids do not magically turn you into a good hitter -- but this could be the second time a known steroid user picks up World Series MVP honors.
Old October 31 2013, 12:47 AM   #894
Scout101
Admiral

He tested positive for 'something' in 2003. Not sure what bearing that test has on a performance in 2013. Presumably he's been tested since. Maybe even a few times?

And if he's juicing, and that's why he's having a good series, why was he ice cold in the ALCS last week?

Either way, this is why I want regular mandatory tests for everyone, even in offseason. No more lazy accusations, no cheaters being rewarded. Clean or banned
Old October 31 2013, 12:57 AM   #895
Yanks
Fleet Captain

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
You pissed off a Red Sox fan Yanks, RUN AWAY!

Not mine, I was listening to Colin Cowherd today on ESPN. He brought it up.

Personally I don't think so, but in this day in age, the question always gets asked when someone is killin it.

Last edited by Yanks; October 31 2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old October 31 2013, 01:34 AM   #896
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

He tested positive for 'something' in 2003. Not sure what bearing that test has on a performance in 2013.
I explicitly said it didn't.

The post right above you wrote:
Not saying it should have any bearing on his MVP candidacy, because as I've said steroids do not magically turn you into a good hitter
Old October 31 2013, 01:39 AM   #897
Use of Time
Commodore

Congratulations to Andrelton Simmons on his first (of what I think will be many) gold gloves. I was hoping to see either Freddie Freeman or Adam LaRoche pick up the award for first baseman but it went to Paul Goldschmidt.
Old October 31 2013, 01:47 AM   #898
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Gut feeling...

See you tomorrow night.

This game seems like one where the Red Sox will be throwing the ball to third base, and that's always a losing game for them.
Old October 31 2013, 02:13 AM   #899
Poinsettia
Commodore

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Congratulations to Andrelton Simmons on his first (of what I think will be many) gold gloves. I was hoping to see either Freddie Freeman or Adam LaRoche pick up the award for first baseman but it went to Paul Goldschmidt.
Go Simba!

...Pink is my favorite crayon...
Old October 31 2013, 02:28 AM   #900
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

Shit.

At least this WS hasn't been as dull as last year's...