Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 30 2013, 06:13 AM   #1411
JD
Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

I like what they said about the Batmobile, but I'm not sure what I think of the Noel Batsuit. I guess something like that could work in live action, I'm not sure if I like it.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 04:42 PM   #1412
davejames
Vice Admiral

Kinda bummed to hear they're changing the Superman suit as well. I hope they don't make too many changes, as I really loved the one in the first movie.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 05:07 PM   #1413
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I wasn't crazy about the costume in Man of Steel so I am looking forward to some changes. I'd like to see it reflect the New 52 design a little more, and really hope they get rid of that rubbery texture.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 06:49 PM   #1414
Christopher
Writer

^Oh, please, no, I hate the New 52 design. And for much the same reasons I don't particularly care for the MoS costume -- they're both overcomplicated. Neither strikes me as an improvement on the classic look.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 07:08 PM   #1415
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I don't think the costumes is an improvement either, but apparently "red underwear" is an evil, disgusting thing for a hero to wear nowadays. Because, you know, you wouldn't want your hero to wear something as "unrealistic" as red underwear, escpecially when the hero is otherwise as grounded in reality as Superman
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 07:17 PM   #1416
Agent Richard07
Admiral

The red underwear would look out of place if they tried to bring it back now. Best to move forward. If I had to make a change, I'd put in an S shield that wasn't textured. I don't know why the S had to be textured.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 07:19 PM   #1417
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

It was a horrible idea to change the iconic (modern) Superman costume when they did Superman Red/Blue and it's horrible now.
Old October 30 2013, 09:53 PM   #1418
Christopher
Writer

Scaredface wrote: View Post
The red underwear would look out of place if they tried to bring it back now.
It's not underwear. It's a pair of trunks, like swimwear. It's the sort of thing that circus acrobats and strongmen in the 1930s wore over their tights for modesty.

And I don't think it would look out of place for Superman to wear any more than the cape or the boots or the big S on his chest. It's just part of Superman's costume. And it works better visually than just an unbroken expanse of blue.

Old October 30 2013, 09:55 PM   #1419
davejames
Vice Admiral

The red underwear would look out of place if they tried to bring it back now. Best to move forward. If I had to make a change, I'd put in an S shield that wasn't textured. I don't know why the S had to be textured.
The textured, rubberized look is pretty much a staple of every superhero movie costume nowadays, and I doubt it's going away.

As for why they texturized the one in MOS, it was probably because the S was so freakin huge that they had to do something.

If there's any change I would be okay with, it's lightening up the blue a little. The midnight blue of the first movie was so dark it almost appeared black in some shots of MOS.
Old October 30 2013, 09:57 PM   #1420
stj
Rear Admiral

NO RED UNDERWEAR!!!

Whatever he has on his crotch should be tight enough to show us why he's called Superman!

Old October 30 2013, 10:07 PM   #1421
davejames
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
The red underwear would look out of place if they tried to bring it back now.
It's not underwear. It's a pair of trunks, like swimwear. It's the sort of thing that circus acrobats and strongmen in the 1930s wore over their tights for modesty.
True, but Superman hasn't looked like a circus acrobat or strongmen since, well.... George Reeves in the 50s.

If they were making a Superman movie set in that time period, I'd be all for that look (or even if it was a retro-styled movie like SR). But in a grittier "real world" Superman movie, I just don't think the trunks really work as well.

Just like Hugh Jackman would look decidedly less badass if he were running around in Wolverine's blue trunks of the classic comics. Lol
Old October 30 2013, 10:18 PM   #1422
Christopher
Writer

Again, I don't see why the trunks are any more out of step with modern fashions than the cape or the whole damn tights thing in general. None of it is in step with what people wear today. But all of it, as a piece, is the iconic look of Superman. I don't get singling out that one part of it.

Old October 30 2013, 10:24 PM   #1423
Agent Richard07
Admiral

What's funny is that the current costume really is underwear. It's pretty much the long johns that goes under the armor.

And I don't think it would look out of place for Superman to wear any more than the cape or the boots or the big S on his chest. It's just part of Superman's costume. And it works better visually than just an unbroken expanse of blue.
All I'm saying is that I can't see how they can put it back in as part of the costume in the next movie. What's done is done. And personally, I'm getting used to the new look and actually like it to the point where the classic outfit is starting to look like what it is... A flashy strongman outfit.

davejames wrote: View Post
The textured, rubberized look is pretty much a staple of every superhero movie costume nowadays, and I doubt it's going away.

As for why they texturized the one in MOS, it was probably because the S was so freakin huge that they had to do something.
I'm okay with the texture on the costume, it just looks odd on the S. And I don't think the S looks too big. It looks about right. The one from Superman Returns was too small. Want a big S? Look at the Eradicator's costume. Speaking of which, the Man of Steel costume does look like the Eradicator's outfit minus the black on the sides.
Old October 30 2013, 10:51 PM   #1424
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

[QUOTE=superdeluxe;8827054]Details on Batmobile and Batsuit:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/294...tume-batmobile

One edict - it will "definitely NOT have a military look like The Tumbler from Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy". More likely it'll be some kind of streamlined concept car
This is one good bit of news; Nolan was so anti-superhero, that using the tumbler killed one of the mist distinctive elements of the Batman universe. I only hope the new Batmobile is not anything like the Hot Wheels/sandal strap/electric toy ray gun cars seen in those horrible Bat films of Tim Burton and others from that series.
Old October 30 2013, 11:10 PM   #1425
Agent Richard07
Admiral