MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old October 30 2013, 06:59 AM   #1
The Master of Tarquin Hill
Commodore

Trip Asking for Prime Rib

Will people hundreds of years from now consider this request repulsive?

Will factory farming still exist?
Old October 30 2013, 07:19 AM   #2
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Trip Asking for Prime Rib

Enterprise is only set 150 years in the future. By Kirk's time, they're still eating things like meatloaf, but sometimes make it look like something else, like turkey. By Picard's time, they're eating burned replicated bird meat. And other cultures would still eat meat. An average Federation citizen might try something considered exotic ethnic food once in a while. And Miles O'Brien's grandmother (or somebody) cooked with raw meat.
Old October 30 2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
Enterprise is only set 150 years in the future. By Kirk's time, they're still eating things like meatloaf, but sometimes make it look like something else, like turkey. By Picard's time, they're eating burned replicated bird meat. And other cultures would still eat meat. An average Federation citizen might try something considered exotic ethnic food once in a while. And Miles O'Brien's grandmother (or somebody) cooked with raw meat.
That is a superbly canonical post.

Thank you.
Old October 30 2013, 07:32 AM   #4
Melakon
Vice Admiral

After absorbing about 50 years of Star Trek, you'll find that kind of stuff sort of burns into the brain.
Old October 30 2013, 09:04 AM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Though it's kind of funny T'Pol called Archer and Trip barbaric carnivores or something to that effect.... last I checked humans are omnivores... those that aren't, it's by choice. You'd think T'Pol would know that... or she was just baiting them because she didn't want to be there.
Old October 30 2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Commodore

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
Though it's kind of funny T'Pol called Archer and Trip barbaric carnivores or something to that effect.... last I checked humans are omnivores... those that aren't, it's by choice. You'd think T'Pol would know that... or she was just baiting them because she didn't want to be there.
I don 't think that being an omnivore is any kind of an issue when you have replicator technology.

So, back to factory farming...
Old October 30 2013, 10:09 AM   #7
jibrilmudo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

We're on the verge of lab grown meat now as it is.
jibrilmudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 12:09 PM   #8
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Actual meat that was never connected to an animal grown in a lab?

From what?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

The Master of Tarquin Hill wrote: View Post
I don 't think that being an omnivore is any kind of an issue when you have replicator technology.
It's been shown that some people can tell the difference between real food and replicated. And others, like Picard's brother, refused to allow replicators in their homes. So replicators are not a cure-all for everything...

I'm sure the farming process can be refined so that it's more humane to the animals.
Old October 30 2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

This is presuming that the "protein resequencer" technology at the time wasn't able to make a chunk of raw meat that could pass as prime rib, once suitably prepared by the mysterious Chef. It was able to make chicken and meatloaf after all, per Memory Alpha. Regardless, for the size of the ship it would certainly have enough space aboard to freeze several head's worth of cattle, or enough to feed her crew of 87 with beef dishes for at least the first year of the voyage; "Desert Crossing" in which Trip references the meal is some ten months since they left Earth.

Anyway, as to whether or not humanity has gone vegan - I would hardly think so. I've always assumed that replicators and their equivalents were a luxury aboard starships that would save everyone the hassle of carrying all sorts of foodstuffs around with them, and the facilities to prepare them. On Earth in the 22nd century, the population's diet would consist largely of local sustainable meats and agricultural products, helped along by various alien technologies (as suggested in "Broken Bow"). By TNG, Keiko's surprise in "The Wounded" that Miles' family prepared and ate raw meats suggests that by then few people prepared meats at all, and would at best head to the supermarket for some prepackaged raw stuff. Humanity has always enjoyed the preparation of food and I hardly think we'd move wholesale to a TV dinner society if we could help it. Ask the Siskos.

Mind you, twenty years ago as a starving student I might have liked nothing more than a Chef Boyardee can of ravioil... But these days though I'm much happier making my own rice and slicing up a steak or pork chop or even stir frying some noodles to go along with that and my salad.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 05:40 PM   #11
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Just as we have people who grow their own food and raise their own animals today to be self-sufficient, the 24th century is sure to have a few anti-technology types, living like their primitive ancestors of 2013.
Old October 30 2013, 07:11 PM   #12
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The Master of Tarquin Hill wrote: View Post

It's only an issue because T'Pol decided her values have to be better than everyone else's and drew the conclusion that anyone who didn't embrace them are barbaric be default.

Heck fast forward to the 24th century. O'brien, Sisko and Eddington all declared on numerous occasions that real food tastes better than replicated stuff. Couple that with the fact that food preparation has been a hobby for many throughout humanity and still is in the 24th if you look at Sisko and his dad, then I don't see why there wouldn't be livestock and farms still. That "raw meat" Keiko so surprisingly gasped over and all Joe Sisko's shrimp had to come from somewhere after all.
Old October 30 2013, 08:07 PM   #13
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Though it's kind of funny T'Pol called Archer and Trip barbaric carnivores ...
And just to be clear, this is the same T'Pol who said that time travel was impossible, and later became a drug addict?

Joseph Sisko served real shell fish in his restuarant in the 24th century.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 06:34 AM   #14
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

teacock wrote: View Post
Actual meat that was never connected to an animal grown in a lab?

From what?
Right now, cow stem cells stimulated to reproduce. The cost is fantastically prohibitive as it is, but then, that's the way a project like this starts. As far as I'm aware there haven't yet been obvious technological objections to growing more in-vitro meat.

Stipulating that this becomes a practical method of producing meat fit for general consumption, then, those who are vegetarian (or vegan) for primarily moral reasons connected to not wanting to unnecessarily harm animals might choose to eat this: after all, no animal is immediately harmed by its production.

They might not, however, since developing the technology did demand the killing of animals along the way (if nothing else so people would know that the final product looked and tasted and felt like animal-bred meat), and they might wish to avoid being the beneficiaries of harm for a benefit they regard as trivial.

And those who are vegetarian for other reasons might well find the difference unimportant.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 06:58 AM   #15
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Nebusj wrote: View Post
those who are vegetarian (or vegan) for primarily moral reasons connected to not wanting to unnecessarily harm animals might choose to eat this: after all, no animal is immediately harmed by its production.
Wouldn't that defeat the philosophy of being a "vegetarian?" Not consuming flesh.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote