Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 29 2013, 12:43 PM   #31
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
why the insistence that the Defiant in TTW and IAMD are the same ship?
Because that was the writers' intention, going from interviews of the day.

They figured the panning shots in "The Tholian Web" were so brief that no one would notice the Enterprise insignia on the uniforms.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 12:49 PM   #32
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Closed Caption wrote: View Post
There's a lot in Star Trek that wasn't intended to be nitpicked at HD resolution. This is one of those things.
The photos of TOS are from screen capture of a DVD, not a HD Blu-ray.

We've seen multiple example of alternate universes in Star Trek, the mirror universe itself is one example. Given the difference in insignia , why the insistence that the Defiant in TTW and IAMD are the same ship?

It's an interesting theory.

Is there any evidence that the Defiant in IAMD is *not* the Defiant from the Prime universe? (Well, I mean evidence other than this costuming glitch.)
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 03:32 PM   #33
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Because that was the writers' intention ...
Meaningless, it's what appeared on screen and in the sound tract that matters.

Old October 29 2013, 05:49 PM   #34
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
There's a lot in Star Trek that wasn't intended to be nitpicked at HD resolution. This is one of those things.
But it's still a little sad that ENT got it wrong.
The word is "retcon"

By these ultra-nitpicky standards, every episode of TOS exists in its own separate universe. James R. Kirk? Hand lasers? Antimatter destroying the universe? How many brothers does Kirk have?

It's a television show, not a history exam.
Old October 29 2013, 08:11 PM   #35
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Having let two occasions go by with ship-specific patches and with the edict from Roddenberry and Justman to not repeat the "mistake" in the future, they might have split the difference. They used the arrowhead patch like they were supposed to, but then tried to obfuscate the issue.
That's probably right. It makes the most sense.
Yes, that sounds good.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
But it's still a little sad that ENT got it wrong.
The word is "retcon"

By these ultra-nitpicky standards, every episode of TOS exists in its own separate universe. James R. Kirk? Hand lasers? Antimatter destroying the universe? How many brothers does Kirk have?

It's a television show, not a history exam.
Right.

The photos of TOS are from screen capture of a DVD, not a HD Blu-ray.

We've seen multiple example of alternate universes in Star Trek, the mirror universe itself is one example. Given the difference in insignia , why the insistence that the Defiant in TTW and IAMD are the same ship?

HD, DVD, whatever. The point is that it is doubtful that they could have been definitively made out during the original broadcast on TV's of the day. I know that I couldn't make them out in the 1970's. Although we didn't have a VCR then, our TV wasn't exactly substandard either. What I do remember, though, is all the actors seemingly posed to hide the emblem in shots when they would have been unmistakable.

You may as well be asking, given that Kirk's middle initial is shown as an R., why the insistence that WNMHGB occurred in the Prime Universe?
Old October 30 2013, 03:46 AM   #36
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

I don't think anything has ever appeared on a sound tract.
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 04:04 AM   #37
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Because that was the writers' intention ...

What appeared on screen was influenced by the idea that each ship had its own patch. Which was a commonly held idea for decades.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 04:32 AM   #38
YJAGG
Lieutenant Commander

I was hoping they would of changed the patches in Court Marshal in the Trek Redux
YJAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 07:05 AM   #39
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

That secretary, or whatever she was, at Starbase 11 in The Menagerie also has an arrowhead emblem. Given that Miss Piper quite clearly has a flower emblem, it gives a great deal of weight to the idea that at least some uses of the arrowhead on non-Enterprise personnel were costuming errors, either that just fell through the cracks or that were deemed too marginal by the production staff to justify the expense of correcting.

I would have at least liked to have seen that secretary's emblem turned into a flower for TOS-R. Perhaps it would have been too expensive an operation for convincingly "repairing" just a few seconds of footage, even in 2006, assuming the production staff even noticed it.

Lucasfilm had demonstrated the viability of doing this sort of thing a couple of years earlier, when they fixed Admiral Piett's mirror-reversed badge near the end of The Empire Strikes Back for the 2004 DVD release. Unfortunately, for some reason, they didn't fix a similar problem with Lando in the Rebel cruiser hangar in Return of the Jedi (I speculate that they deemed it much less noticeable and/or it would have entailed too much expense to fix, much more than fixing the Piett segment in Empire cost). It's also worth noting that while they did a pretty good job fixing Admiral Piett's badge, it still looks a little fake.
Old October 30 2013, 07:38 AM   #40
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

I would have at least liked to have seen that secretary's emblem turned into a flower for TOS-R. Perhaps it would have been too expensive an operation for convincingly "repairing" just a few seconds of footage, even in 2006, assuming the production staff even noticed it.
I suppose if they started fixing stuff like that, the natural question might be to ask is, where should they stop? When Spock stuns that guard in Whom Gods Destroy, the wall wobbles a bit when he falls. Should they fix that? I have no answer or opinion, I'm just wondering aloud...
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 08:40 AM   #41
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

So the TNG Enterprise really does have a giant hamster in a wheel down in engineering, and a big yellow rubber duckie, among other in-jokes on the signage.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 01:10 PM   #42
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I'm happy they didn't mess with Mendez' secretary. Would you also recommend they should have changed the deltas / arrowheads on the uniforms of Kirk's "friends" in "Court Martial"?

Mendez' secretary could have just been in charge of starship-only affairs, hence the delta / arrowhead.

Where the Bob Justman memo (thanks GSchnitzer) continues to confuse me is this: If we assume that he wanted to state that all "starship captains" in a perfect world wear the delta, he still owes us the answer why commodores in charge of starships (at least and most definitely Matt Decker) were entitled to wear a different insignia.

Does this mean that once a captain is promoted to the rank of commodore he can pick his personal choice of insignia for himself (and perhaps for his crew?).

If the insignia selection process qualifies as a reward, I see no problem why Starfleet shouldn't honor the accomplishments of a certain starship by adopting its insignia as the general one for Starfleet (i.e. "The Cage / Menagerie" Orion scene - April's Enterprise / "Court-Martial" & "The Menagerie" - Pike's Enterprise / "Court-Martial" etc. - Wesley's Lexington ).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 02:59 PM   #43
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I'm happy they didn't mess with Mendez' secretary. Would you also recommend they should have changed the deltas / arrowheads on the uniforms of Kirk's "friends" in "Court Martial"?
Nah. I should also add that I'd rather keep the Constellation and Exeter emblems as-is. I always thought they were cool. And, I'd certainly not change Mendez's secretary, if the price for that were "fixing" those.
Old October 31 2013, 12:18 AM   #44
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

HD, DVD, whatever.
Ummm, you're the one who brought up HD resolution.

What I do remember, though, is all the actors seemingly posed to hide the emblem in shots when they would have been unmistakable.
Except the director didn't do that, there were two actor in the foreground of the sickbay shot laying face up, with their insignia exposed.

You may as well be asking, given that Kirk's middle initial is shown as an R ...
Solely on a tombstone created by Gary Mitchell. Kirk himself consistantly gave his initial as T, and so did his official records at his court martial (and in Mirror mirror).

So the TNG Enterprise really does have a giant hamster in a wheel down in engineering, and a big yellow rubber duckie, among other in-jokes on the signage.
Whether these thing exist within the Enterprise Dee is debatable, however there is no debate that they exist on the ships MSD. That must is canon.

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
What appeared on screen was influenced by the idea that each ship had its own patch. Which was a commonly held idea for decades.
By some perhaps, but that "held idea" is not backed up by on screen evidence.

My take (personal opinion only) is that during the TOS era the vast majority of the fleet wears the arrowhead insignia. However ranks above Captain can have their own insignia, which is also worn by members of their own staff (yeomen, doctors, etc,). There was also different insignia for branches like JAG, Starfleet equivalent of USNS, and others.

Old October 31 2013, 01:10 AM   #45
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
By some perhaps, but that "held idea" is not backed up by on screen evidence.
What's on screen is the result of the folks producing the show making a decision. Either to fudge it by crafting shots that obscured the delta or creating new patches. Those are ideas that the on screen evidence supports.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote