Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old October 24 2013, 04:40 AM   #16
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Thoughts on Season 5

I was going to suggest "Is That All There Is?" made famous by Peggy Lee, but instead I'll offer "Once Upon a Time" as sung by Perry Como.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Q7R11f4Bg

Bob Picardo would have done great with either of these. I first heard "Once Upon a Time" at a dinner theatre intermission performed by the serving staff, and it brought tears to my eyes.
Old October 24 2013, 05:02 AM   #17
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I dunno, why isn't Robert Picardo a celebrity among actors? I've never seen him put in a bad performance in anything.
Old October 24 2013, 10:39 AM   #18
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
I dunno, why isn't Robert Picardo a celebrity among actors? I've never seen him put in a bad performance in anything.
Bald.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 04:59 PM   #19
Melakon
Vice Admiral

teacock wrote: View Post
Bald.
And he's primarily a character actor. They may not be as popular as leads, but they often have careers lasting much longer.
Old October 24 2013, 09:51 PM   #20
teacake
Admiral

I was watching Small Soldiers yesterday, had forgotten he was in it. It's always this hugely pleasant surprise when he shows up in something.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 25 2013, 09:57 AM   #21
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Joe Dante always gives Picardo a role, whether it's big or small. My favorites are The Cowboy from INNERSPACE and that asshole manager from GREMLINS 2.

The Doctor, in one of his more private holoprograms.

MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 10:09 AM   #22
teacake
Admiral

^hahahaha

And.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 25 2013, 08:55 PM   #23
dub
Fleet Captain

LOL! I found this gem in related videos:

"I love you. Oh, it's gone."

By the way, I've reached Equinox! I didn't realize it was a 2-parter until the end, and I'm on the edge of my seat! Too bad I didn't have time to watch part 2 right away...

[EDIT]...And speaking of Picardo, the scene in Equinox with 2 holographic doctors...I just now realized, I never once thought about the fact that it was the same actor on the screen twice. That's one of the few times that's ever happened for me. Usually, I'm looking for technical errors in scenes like that, or bad acting, but it didn't occur to me here. That just goes to show you how a great script, direction, shooting, editing, and especially ACTING can bring you into the scene so much that you lose yourself in the story instead of looking for technical flaws.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 09:06 PM   #24
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Say whatever else you want to about Equinox, but twice as much Robert Picardo is never a bad thing.
Old October 25 2013, 11:04 PM   #25
teacake
Admiral

He's just so perfect for the EMH role.. I'm sure if he had been cast as Neelix the character would be completely beloved

I enjoyed him on SG:A too, but they didn't let him have many quirks. On Voyager he's kind of in freeplay the whole time.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 26 2013, 01:30 AM   #26
dub
Fleet Captain

Say whatever else you want to about Equinox...
Hey, I loved the episode! That's more like it, I say. Except for the end when Chakotay made up with Janeway right away. I swear, he must have permanently damaged his balls when the caretaker flung them to the DQ.

It would have been neat if Seven came on board unconscious and they didn't discover the doctor's deleted subroutine at the end, and kept that as a continuing thread to the next episode. But I guess that sort of thing doesn't happen in a "serialized procedural?"

All joking aside, I really did enjoy that 2-parter! Bravo!
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 08:40 PM   #27
R. Star
Rear Admiral

bud wrote: View Post
Say whatever else you want to about Equinox...
Hey, I loved the episode! That's more like it, I say. Except for the end when Chakotay made up with Janeway right away. I swear, he must have permanently damaged his balls when the caretaker flung them to the DQ.

It would have been neat if Seven came on board unconscious and they didn't discover the doctor's deleted subroutine at the end, and kept that as a continuing thread to the next episode. But I guess that sort of thing doesn't happen in a "serialized procedural?"

All joking aside, I really did enjoy that 2-parter! Bravo!

My theory is Janeway castrated Chakotay aftere Caretaker. He seemed to have a working pair of testicles in that episode. Heck, I thought he was going to be my favorite character the first time I watched that one...

Equinox though... the funny thing about that episode is... flash back to Year of Hell when Janeway has the busted up ship. She's making irrational decisions, often immoral ones, and acting generally crazy. More so than Ransom in this episode.

Yet in this one she's all holier than thou, I must hunt you down and kill you... torture your crew to find you... because you betrayed humanity's values. It's absurd.

If Janeway had happened across those combustible space slugs while the Krenim were systematically killing her crew, I think she would've used them to get away and save the lives of her crew. I'm sure Ransom was in a similar situation when he used it("immanent destruction") And once you're on that slippery slope, it's easy to fall down.

I'm not saying Ransom did the right thing, but neither did Janeway, and I can't say she's so much better when she was willing to kill Tuvix to save the lives of two of her own crew members she happened to like more. Oh and was willing to kill Mr blueshirt if he didn't betray his captain.
Old October 26 2013, 10:39 PM   #28
teacake
Admiral

Equinox is a ripper of an ep. Ransome's ending with the beach..

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 26 2013, 11:17 PM   #29
Melakon
Vice Admiral

...And speaking of Picardo...Usually, I'm looking for technical errors in scenes like that, or bad acting, but it didn't occur to me here. . .
I don't think I've ever seen a bad performance from Robert Picardo in anything. I'd seen his name in work since The Howling, but didn't really become a fan until his Coach Cutlip in The Wonder Years. Or perhaps even earlier, when I saw Explorers and Legend, and began wondering what he actually looked like. Even his voice as JohnnyCab in Total Recall is recognizable, along with the puppet as a caricature of him.
Old October 30 2013, 06:21 AM   #30
Melakon
Vice Admiral

. . .I really liked "Dark Frontier," though I think they could have made it even more dramatic by forcing Seven to witness people being murdered who resisted, also showing more children being assimilated (to relate to Seven since she was assimilated as a child). That might have been powerful. Even showing Seven shed a tear or two over it. Or attempt to take her father with her back to Voyager, then he dies because they're not able to de-borgify him properly. Or have Seven look up to the heavens and yell "QUEEEEEEEEN!" No, I take that last one back.
I'm in the middle of Dark Frontier now. Actually 33:58, about when Seven is begging to go on the mission. I spent about 20 minutes replaying the 4-minute tactical exercise in the holodecks. I've probably watched the episode at least 15 times already since getting it perhaps in early summer, and each time it's like finding something new. It's a bit different than when I usually discover things, as I tend to focus on technical stuff. But this time it was something I realized while listening to the dialogue.

It's a scene with the Doctor in sickbay. At one point Seven angrily refers to her parents as misguided people who endangered their child's life, and she storms out of the room. It's as if she's actually walking out on them. This seems to add a dimension to the often recognized element of Janeway and the Queen battling to be foster mother. With the 5th Act cliffhanger where Seven has to decide whether to go or stay, another element comes into play-- if she goes with Janeway, she might have a chance of forgiving her parents. With the Queen, she has no chance, because she will again lose whatever humanity she'd regained.

Is that making sense, or am I reading too deeply into it?

Last edited by Melakon; October 30 2013 at 06:27 AM. Reason: checking for spelling
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote