RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 416
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 29 2013, 06:46 PM   #136
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Re: STID realistic?

Balrog wrote: View Post
Warp speed, transporters, inertia dampeners, artificial gravity, sound in space, fire in a vacuum...

So which horseshit fantasy crap should we also throw out?
Fire in a vacuum. At least, the typical oxygenated, orange type fire that we usually see. There's nothing that says there couldn't be blue flames from a chemical explosion. That could actually be pretty cool if done right.

The others on that list are all just part of the science fiction though. Science that we can't possibly understand because it's beyond our means. But we do understand fire in space, distances between the Moon and Earth, how supernovas react, the nature of black holes, etc. If Star Trek wanted to be more realistic, it would try and respect the basics, but they haven't always done that.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 03:37 AM   #137
The Wormhole
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post

I always had a problem with the "see the dolphins" thing. Those dolphins are working members of the crew (maybe even officers) and should be treated with more dignity and respect than having crew and guests come and watch them while they're working. Must be annoying and possibly even humiliating to be trying to get vital work done and off-duty personnel are standing and gawking at you.
Why would it be any different than whenever dignitaries and visitors tour the bridge or engineering?
Presumably, Cetacean ops is also where the dolphins and whales also sleep and spend their free time. I imagine it's hell for these dolphins. They are confined to one area of the ship where they sleep and work and have essentially no life outside this. And to make matters worse, everyone drops by to gawk at them. Alien dignitaries don't get guided tour of crew quarters while the crew are sleeping or attending to personal business, yet everyone aboard the ship has the opportunity to watch these dolphins and whales or other aquatic beings doing so. Visits to Cetacean ops should be limited to official visits (or even social ones) only during certain hours. Gawkers watching them doing their business shouldn't be allowed.

Meanwhile, Picard sure was harsh on poor Livingston, keeping him isolated in that aquarium in his ready room, away from the other sea creatures which could have kept him company.
Old October 30 2013, 12:36 PM   #138
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Presumably, Cetacean ops is also where the dolphins and whales also sleep and spend their free time. I imagine it's hell for these dolphins. They are confined to one area of the ship where they sleep and work and have essentially no life outside this. And to make matters worse, everyone drops by to gawk at them. Alien dignitaries don't get guided tour of crew quarters while the crew are sleeping or attending to personal business, yet everyone aboard the ship has the opportunity to watch these dolphins and whales or other aquatic beings doing so. Visits to Cetacean ops should be limited to official visits (or even social ones) only during certain hours. Gawkers watching them doing their business shouldn't be allowed.
We simply don't know enough about the situation to make a judgement. But if the dolphins are able to communicate with the humans (I'd presume this is a given) I'm sure they'd communicate their need for private time.

For all we know, there could be private areas where they go that are similar to human quarters.
Old October 30 2013, 03:59 PM   #139
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

The Dolphin in Seaquest had a "bed" or room to himself somewhere about the ship during the series, we never see it but it was mentioned.
Old October 30 2013, 08:23 PM   #140
Opus
Commodore

William Shatner guest starred with that dolphin on 'Seaquest'.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 11:43 PM   #141
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
I was reading an article this morning which was discussing their analysis of starship sizes on fictional shows/films across the decades - apparently ships got increasingly larger through the 80s and 90s and then started to shrink again. They attributed this to the idea that Science fiction in the 80s and 90s dared to dream big, trying to imagine what living in space would be like far in the future (their examples including Star Destroyers and the massive motherships from ID4), but that by the 2000s, the genre was settling back into a much more 'realistic' view of what space travel would be like. One of their examples for this increased 'realism' was STID.

Now, I don't really want this to turn into another discussion about who liked the movie or not, and I want to make it clear that I'm not saying the movie is bad just because I don't find it 'realistic', but I want to ask this one question:

Is there any particular aspect of space travel in ID which people believe is truly 'realistic'?

I just don't really see how that description applies here...
Shall we start with that ridiculous "lava rafting" thing nuSpock does in the beginning? As in he comes out of it without a scratch, AND his gizmo not only turns off the lava on the planet's surface, but apparently way down in the planetary mantle, as well. The atmosphere got cleaned up really fast. Oh, and I guess the gases didn't make the ocean water acidic (since nuScotty never mentioned anything about it possibly having an adverse effect on the ship). And speaking of the ship, it must have displaced quite a bit of water when it entered and exited the ocean. Yet nobody noticed...

Franklin wrote: View Post
Realism in starships? REALISM? In what context? Faster than light travel? Artificial gravity that makes life aboard the ship as comfortable as walking around a mall? Please don't tell me these things are really possible in any way that would approach 0.1% of how they are presented in ANY version of "Star Trek".
Interesting that you mention malls, 'cause that's what the nuEnterprise reminds me of. What's the point of all that empty space? The brig area resembles a DS9-like Promenade where the cells are actually the stores.

Oh, see nuKirk get shot out of the ship in his space suit. See his helmet get compromised and cracked numerous times by space debris. See nuKirk not even a little bit worried about running out of oxygen or suffering decompression. Damn, those must be really strong helmets that can crack like a windshield and still be perfectly safe to use.

And speaking of artificial gravity... can anyone explain the part where people are sliding all over the place and falling? Was the artificial gravity completely off, or was it just wonky? If it was completely off, people should have been floating, not flailing around like it's a Titanic/Poseidon Adventure remake...

I'm not familiar enough with starship blueprints to comment on the measurements of the various ships, but damn, nuScotty could have used a Segway when he was running... and running... and running... and running...

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 11:49 PM   #142
BillJ
Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post

Is there any particular aspect of space travel in ID which people believe is truly 'realistic'?
Is there any aspect of space travel in any incarnation of Star Trek that is truly "realistic"?

Oh, see nuKirk get shot out of the ship in his space suit. See his helmet get compromised and cracked numerous times by space debris. See nuKirk not even a little bit worried about running out of oxygen or suffering decompression. Damn, those must be really strong helmets that can crack like a windshield and still be perfectly safe to use.
His facial expression says that he is worried. Do we have to have every bit of information presented in dialogue? I always thought that mantra of movies was "show don't tell"?
Old October 30 2013, 11:57 PM   #143
Timewalker

Was that supposed to convey "I have multiple cracks in my helmet and could suffer decompression at any moment"? Did he ACT like he was having trouble breathing?

Old October 31 2013, 12:11 AM   #144
BillJ
Admiral

Was that supposed to convey "I have multiple cracks in my helmet and could suffer decompression at any moment"? Did he ACT like he was having trouble breathing?
Why would he have trouble breathing while the faceplate was still intact? Picard didn't seem to have any issue breathing after Hawk-Borg stomped on his face plate and cracked it. Nor did he seem to be worried about it at all.

I understand the vacuum of space. I don't need a character to explain to me that having a cracked faceplate is a bad thing.
Old October 31 2013, 12:41 AM   #145
Timewalker

You understand it. I understand it. NuKirk didn't seem to understand it. He was worried, yes - about going off-course. I don't remember anyone being concerned about his cracked helmet (or if they did, I must have missed it).

Old October 31 2013, 12:44 AM   #146
BillJ
Admiral

You understand it. I understand it. NuKirk didn't seem to understand it. He was worried, yes - about going off-course. I don't remember anyone being concerned about his cracked helmet (or if they did, I must have missed it).
What exactly would it have accomplished for Kirk to be overtly concerned about the faceplate?
Old October 31 2013, 12:48 AM   #147
Timewalker

It would have demonstrated that he was intelligent enough to be scared.

Old October 31 2013, 12:52 AM   #148
BillJ
Admiral

Oh Jesus Christ, you really are reaching for reasons to bash the film. How many times should the character of Kirk been scared over the last forty years yet wasn't?

It's a character trait, Kirk puts the mission before his own emotions.
Old October 31 2013, 12:54 AM   #149
SeerSGB
Admiral

Fear is not indicative of intelligence. Not everyone gets scared at the moment something goes wrong, and death is a possibility. If they do, they contain it till later. There's time to breakdown later.
Old October 31 2013, 12:58 AM   #150
BillJ
Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Fear is not indicative of intelligence. Not everyone gets scared at the moment something goes wrong, and death is a possibility. If they do, they contain it till later. There's time to breakdown later.
It would've been a much better film if Kirk had started flailing violently and screaming "Spock... I'm gonna diiiieeeeeeeeee".

Some people really make you shake your head.