Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 28 2013, 12:12 AM   #31
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Blacklist

^ Yes, none of that pesky "reality" getting in the way.

I'm looking forward to the next one, too. I'm hoping for a bit of a switch, as the previous formula of the first few episodes would have gotten very tiring, very quickly. I'm hoping to see a bit of a game-changer.
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 03:47 AM   #32
Aldo
Admiral

I'm also liking the dynamic Elizabeth seems to be forming with Red. She still hates him, but finds herself drawn to him in moments of despair (like when she visited him after her husband demanded she come home).

I hope this is a new trend for TV shows to actually, you know, develop their characters over the course of the show rather then keep them static like was the norm for so many procedurals over the years.
Old October 28 2013, 02:29 PM   #33
Marten
Captain

It must be some sort of Obama-care propaganda! They are so well insured it's impossible!
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 01:35 AM   #34
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
*Strictly speaking, the Keen's ability to keep a house while losing Tom's income and paying their share of his medical bills is a red flag for chicanery. Particularly since elementary school teachers are not especially well paid. (I have my doubts about low level FBI agents too.) But in all probability it's just Hollywood's idea of the ordinary lifestyle.
He probably has insurance and a number of paid sick days, and his wife is working as well. Were you expecting them to be evicted from their home after a week or two?
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 01:40 AM   #35
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

OK, not quite sure what that last episode was about. The whole thing was his convoluted scheme to fuck with her head or is Tom really some kind of super-spy (seems unlikely)?
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 02:56 AM   #36
Borgminister

Especially since next episode they seem to be all chummy again. They've got to be careful not to raise too many questions without any real answers. Adding new wrinkles is one thing, but ping-ponging back and forth with just that storyline could get old. But at least we learn that Redd has something over the FBI boss this episode.

Even when Miss FBI is crying, I feel they are Hollywood tears... the emoting is still a problem, but either getting incrementally better or I'm getting used to her acting.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 03:00 AM   #37
stj
Rear Admiral

IndyJones wrote: View Post
*Strictly speaking, the Keen's ability to keep a house while losing Tom's income and paying their share of his medical bills is a red flag for chicanery. Particularly since elementary school teachers are not especially well paid. (I have my doubts about low level FBI agents too.) But in all probability it's just Hollywood's idea of the ordinary lifestyle.
He probably has insurance and a number of paid sick days, and his wife is working as well. Were you expecting them to be evicted from their home after a week or two?
Recent family experience with major medical expenses may be affecting my view. Twenty percent copay is pretty standard, and deductibles so far as I know run about one thousand dollars. Fifteen days sick leave per school year would be pretty generous I think, so yes, I think they would have been down to one income pretty fast. The hospital and physician expenses would probably be limited to out of pocket, maybe $10 000, but meds and PT may well be separately handled. Her employer (is it still the FBI?) may have been generous on paying her for any of her time with him (if she took any?) but there are very often official limits on employees taking paid leave for sick family members.

An elementary school teacher with only a few years experience in a metropolitan area might be pulling down something like 60K, leaving a take home less than 40K after taxes, federal and state. The house payments might be as low as $2 000, but could be as high as $4 000. No, I don't think they could live on her income.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't expect them to be evicted, but to downsize. If they're taking all their savings, sucking out any equity in the house, selling assets or what not, I'd expect that still to be a source of worry, even strife. Major medical expenses are a major cause for bankruptcy, which should an option on the table for them, given the marital problems.

antichristhill, it doesn't make much sense to me either. Frankly, I have no idea when Tom was supposed to establish this career as a major criminal, unless he started when he was twelve. Nor do I see how Tom could be criminal mastermind enough to know, somehow, that the evidence would fall apart. I have long ago decided that any criminal plan involving walking into custody is even dumber than the director.

But I think that we are supposed to believe that Red took the fall for Tom, so that Elizabeth's feelings wouldn't be so crushed. I don't see how Reddington could have planted the picture, nor do I believe the bimbo-terrorist when she says she doesn't recognize Tom. I don't know why Elizabeth doesn't think the really interesting question is not whose arm is around his shoulder but who's taking such carefully cropped pictures? Why?

Elizabeth long ago should have realized that Reddington ordered Tom's murder, then the box was supposed to take the grief away, by turning Tom into a liar instead of a dead husband. Said box being planted by Reddington to make sure that his Lizzie would be a merry widow.

What's really bizarre is that the surveillance team doesn't seem to be working for either the Black Site or for Red.
Old October 30 2013, 05:02 AM   #38
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

IndyJones wrote: View Post
Recent family experience with major medical expenses may be affecting my view. Twenty percent copay is pretty standard, and deductibles so far as I know run about one thousand dollars. Fifteen days sick leave per school year would be pretty generous I think, so yes, I think they would have been down to one income pretty fast. The hospital and physician expenses would probably be limited to out of pocket, maybe $10 000, but meds and PT may well be separately handled. Her employer (is it still the FBI?) may have been generous on paying her for any of her time with him (if she took any?) but there are very often official limits on employees taking paid leave for sick family members.

An elementary school teacher with only a few years experience in a metropolitan area might be pulling down something like 60K, leaving a take home less than 40K after taxes, federal and state. The house payments might be as low as $2 000, but could be as high as $4 000. No, I don't think they could live on her income.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't expect them to be evicted, but to downsize. If they're taking all their savings, sucking out any equity in the house, selling assets or what not, I'd expect that still to be a source of worry, even strife. Major medical expenses are a major cause for bankruptcy, which should an option on the table for them, given the marital problems.
That's assuming an awful lot about their personal finances, and I don't think it's justified. I'm well-aware that medical bills are the number one cause of bankruptcies in this country, but at the very least this is a family with dual earners, and he would have had at least some sick days. Maybe they watch Suze Orman and had an 8 month emergency fund that they dipped into, maybe they're diligent about contributing to their Roth IRA's and are pulling some money out, maybe they inherited money, etc.

I'm not saying that a family couldn't be wrecked by that type of situation, I just don't think it's so likely as to be strange that it hasn't yet been brought up in these episodes.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 05:38 AM   #39
sojourner
Admiral

Technically, weren't his injuries a result of her job at the FBI? I would think the government would be on the hook for a large part of the bills thus created.

Criticism of the show: Spader needs to limit the "evil laugh" bit of characterization to once per show. It's already heading towards self parody.
Old October 30 2013, 03:31 PM   #40
stj
Rear Admiral

I've been thinking the timing of everything seemed off. Tom walking into custody just as his putative girl friend was planting a bomb implies not just the possibility that he and she somehow planned it together/scheduled it. (No, there's no reason why she would agree to go to jail just to provide Tom an alibi for the Fokin murder, especially since disposing of the murder weapon would have been SOP for any halfway competent assassin.)

The other possibility is that it is because Reddington knew Tom was trying to confront Elizabeth about the box, that Reddington manipulated the whole crisis by hiring Zanetakos in the first place. That would explain how Reddington could plant the photo. Then the whole episode would be Reddington burning off an old business associate to boost Elizabeth's morale. Framing Tom is pretty bad, particularly since it makes her a gigantic fool for being screwed by a criminal. But after all she got over Reddington sending a man to stab Tom.

Reddington's got an inside man at Black Site, maybe part of the fallout from Kuwait.
Old October 30 2013, 03:45 PM   #41
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I don't watch the show myself, but I gotta say, I've been enjoying the AV Club's weekly reviews:

Precious seconds are ticking away while that bomb is out there somewhere, but Red still has his insane “I do everything face-to-face” rule, so he pops over to Germany to confront Maxwell. He tells him that he’d better talk, because some other guy named Yuri sold him out, and in fact, Yuri “talked faster than a cheerleader after a nooner under the grandstand. Probably not a metaphor you understand.” I hope to God this is the start of a new weekly gimmick, so that in every episode from now on, Red will say something incomprehensible and then pretend that the person he’s speaking to is only bewildered because of cultural differences. “Pierre, if you’ll excuse the old expression, your guilt is as evident as a left-handed Cajun accordionist’s fondness for Pindar’s Victory Odes. Sorry, I guess that was lost in translation somehow.”
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 04:06 PM   #42
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

I think when they are following people instead of talking into their sleeves they should use mobile phones or radios that look like phones then they might not get spotted so often.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 10:59 PM   #43
NeedleOfInquiry
Lieutenant Junior Grade

NeedleOfInquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 11:57 PM   #44
Marten
Captain

About their supposed monetary problem, they do not seem to spend that much money. We don't know much, but for all we know they could have been saving for years. The only thing we d know is that they have a house, which may or not be expensive.

About the episode, I thought the corporate terrorism plot was a little to conspiracy theory-esque. The overall arch didn't make that much sense either. My guess is that Reddington has been setting Tom up, but I don't really know anymore. It might as well have been the people behind the surveilence. And everything is supposed to go back to normal the next episode? The weakast episode yet, but they might recover.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 08:04 PM   #45
stj
Rear Admiral

Reddington didn't set Tom up. Either he set himself up to take the fall (along with Zanetakos,) for the Fokin murder, or Tom set up Reddington.

Above I suggested that Reddington could have controlled events by hiring Zanetakos for the bombing. On this hypothesis, the order for the bomb was placed when Reddington learned of the box. Then when Tom confronted Elizabeth, Reddington speeded up the time table to 36 hours. This explains why Reddington let Elizabeth "overhear" a conversation (one-side, if there were even two,) otherwise essential to the resolution. This explains how Reddington could have contrived to give Zanetakos Tom's picture. This even explains yet another remarkable coincidence, Zanetakos losing her phone (but not killing Ressler.)

Of course Reddington wanting to save his Lizzie from hearbreak, even at the expense of making himself look bad, makes a pretty far-fetched "martyr for love" fantasy.

On the other hand, Tom setting Reddington up would be a much easier and more straight-forward plot except for one huge problem. Namely, how could Tom have been sure that Zanetakos would be captured alive, to confess? Without her confession, he'd still be a suspect. I suppose it's possible that I'm wrong for assuming the writers actually have a coherent plot, but it seems too early to take away benefit of doubt.

PS Could the "Tom is framing Reddington" scenario be saved if Ressler is Reddington's man? Also, was the symbol on Zanetakos' getaway stash the same as on the one in the Keen household? Also, does a week's time passing in each episode (as Ressler's line about seven weeks suggests) feel right?