USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 29 2013, 09:03 PM   #16
Metryq
Captain

Re: Weird Thing in "The Naked Time"

Redfern wrote: View Post
But then, that would have negated several plots concerning "alien illness"
At the time of TOS, the Latex Spacesuit trope had yet to be realized. If those same episodes were remade today, the crew would wear environment suits as part of their everyday uniform. (Think Lt. Ellis in Gerry Anderson's UFO.)

The live-action movie SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO realized the costumes seen in the original anime as everyday environment suits. With the addition of a few extra pieces, they'd be ready to board their Black Tigers or Cosmo Zeroes for a little vacuum party with Desla/Gamilas.
Old October 29 2013, 09:42 PM   #17
Corylea
Lieutenant

In "These Are the Voyages," Cushman reports that the actor playing Joe told him, "I questioned Marc Daniels [the director] about whether a Star Fleet officer who probably had at least a PhD in engineering would be stupid enough to take his glove off in that situation. He said, 'Of course not. But if you don't do it, we don't have a show.'"

The bit-part actors have to look stupid so that the leads will have their chance to look smart, later.
Corylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 10:41 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Corylea wrote: View Post
In "These Are the Voyages," Cushman reports that the actor playing Joe told him, "I questioned Marc Daniels [the director] about whether a Star Fleet officer who probably had at least a PhD in engineering would be stupid enough to take his glove off in that situation. He said, 'Of course not. But if you don't do it, we don't have a show.'"

The bit-part actors have to look stupid so that the leads will have their chance to look smart, later.
Old October 29 2013, 11:06 PM   #19
Metryq
Captain

While watching TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY in the cinema, my brother leaned over and commented on flipping the gun one-handed to cock it, "Schwarzenegger's contract had a line that read, 'Arnold will be cool.'"
Old October 30 2013, 08:46 AM   #20
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Hollywood Werewolf wrote: View Post
The Umbrella Corporation wrote: View Post
TOS always had really ugly spacesuits IMO. But you got the idea of what they were supposed to do.
I don't quite know what you mean by "always." Four spacesuits were made for "The Tholian Web." Two of them reappeared in "Whom Gods Destroy." They weren't used in any other episodes.
Sorry I was thinking of the movies as well which had different budgets etc.
I suppose I'm one of the few who liked the glow suits in TAS?
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 12:26 PM   #21
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Metryq wrote: View Post
If you want to be literal about it, then the wire mesh helmets of the spacesuits seen in "The Tholian Web" would not stand up well in a vacuum, even if they do keep the mosquitoes out.
Well, I'd said it was impractical for EVA purposes as it wasn't designed to provide warmth for its users but to ensure they wouldn't get too hot inside (with all the studio lighting equipment).

I still prefer these TOS suits over the TAS life support belts. They looked absolutely futuristic and believable to me (however, in real life the helmet would probably rotate to follow the users eyes and ensure that no matter where you turn your head you always will have an unobstructed view - apparently something they couldn't visualize because of budget and technical restrictions).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 12:51 PM   #22
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

For what it's worth, I pulled the shooting script for "The Naked Time." The script direction when Mister Spock and Crewman Joe Tormolen beam down reads simply "They wear cold weather gear."

So, the suits were scripted to protect the landing party from the cold, not really from contamination. (That's what the goofy decontamination process in the transporter room was for.)
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 01:11 PM   #23
Metryq
Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I still prefer these TOS suits over the TAS life support belts.
If the technology for a personal "force field" existed, I'd rather use that. The "Tholian Web" spacesuits looked interesting, with the red/blue "circulatory system" running over the surface. But those eraser-head helmets were just too goofy to accept. They block the user's vision on the sides, while leaving the "view" out the back wide open. (Why?) They were also a bit tall; I wonder if anyone had trouble getting through doors?

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
For what it's worth, I pulled the shooting script for "The Naked Time." The script direction when Mister Spock and Crewman Joe Tormolen beam down reads simply "They wear cold weather gear."
Ah, so the original idea was simply an unexpected infection, rather than a Michael Crichton-like failure of a complex system.
Old October 30 2013, 02:57 PM   #24
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Going back for a minute to foolish crewmembers, I should probably add a mention for Crewman Darnell from The Man Trap. While he didn't actually snack on a borgia plant as Nancy suggested, neither Kirk nor McCoy thought it too far fetched that he might have done. You'd think there would be some sort of Starfleet training about not sticking everything you find on an alien planet in your mouth, but apparently not!

Of course, he did go lolloping after Nancy like a dog on heat, but I think that sort of behaviour is encouraged for 23rd century officers
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 09:55 PM   #25
Corylea
Lieutenant

Mytran wrote: View Post
Going back for a minute to foolish crewmembers, I should probably add a mention for Crewman Darnell from The Man Trap. While he didn't actually snack on a borgia plant as Nancy suggested, neither Kirk nor McCoy thought it too far fetched that he might have done. You'd think there would be some sort of Starfleet training about not sticking everything you find on an alien planet in your mouth, but apparently not!
Yeah, it's clear that the security teams need WAY more training than they got in the 60's. Er, I mean the 23rd Century.

Of course, since the TOS team was making up an entire world -- while working at a breakneck pace and doing everything as cheaply as possible -- what's surprising isn't that they got some things wrong, but how many things they got RIGHT.
Old October 30 2013, 10:15 PM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

...and doing everything as cheaply as possible --
You do realize that Star Trek was one of the more expensive series on TV during its run?
Old October 30 2013, 10:29 PM   #27
Corylea
Lieutenant

BillJ wrote: View Post
...and doing everything as cheaply as possible --
You do realize that Star Trek was one of the more expensive series on TV during its run?
Yep, but science fiction is WAY more expensive to make than other genres are, and if you read the history of the series, it's all about making do and reusing old stuff and finding cheaper ways of doing what they needed to do. They made medical instruments out of salt shakers and costumes out of place mats, for heaven's sake. It was expensive for TV but cheap for SF.
Old October 30 2013, 11:02 PM   #28
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

You all show some GD respect for Joe Tormolen! If it weren't for him the Feds wouldn't have discovered slingshot time travel and the Earth would have been destroyed by whales!! As for Compton...I'm sure there were all kinds of applications of Scalosion water....assuming it wasn't destroyed with all the other amazing tech Enterprise discovered and was never seen again.

Science by accident! God bless those red (or gold) shirts.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 04:49 AM   #29
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Mytran wrote: View Post
Your comments made me think of those silica gel packs you find packed in the box with new electronic equipment. They're always emblazoned with the phrase 'do not eat'. I don't know about you, but I'd never be tempted to do that regardless of the warning. "Hey, cool, my new tv came with a snack!"
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 06:16 AM   #30
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Metryq wrote: View Post
But those eraser-head helmets were just too goofy to accept. They block the user's vision on the sides, while leaving the "view" out the back wide open. (Why?)
I haven't checked, but maybe the helmets were reversible?

As far as foolish crew members go, my money's still on Compton. We actually witnessed him licking his fingers after sticking his hands in the water!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote