Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 28 2013, 01:01 PM   #451
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

A widow spits in his face

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 01:32 PM   #452
Christopher
Writer

You know, I think I would not be interested in seeing a Civil War adaptation. Sure, okay, the issues of security vs. freedom are worth exploring in this day and age, but I really have seen enough of heroes fighting heroes. I can buy the idea of heroes initially being at odds due to a misunderstanding or difference of priorities, but ultimately their shared commitment to heroic principles should enable them to move beyond that and realize they need to work together. What was cool about The Avengers wasn't, for instance, seeing Tony and Steve bickering; it was seeing them instantly put their differences aside and work together the moment danger struck and lives were at stake.

And I agree, it really is hard to see Tony Stark buying into the government's pro-registration line, especially in the extremes to which it was taken. That felt out of character to me. I recall there was a lot of inconsistent characterization in and around the Civil War event due to all the different writers not being on the same page. It seemed that characters were forced into actions and attitudes that they'd be unlikely to support just in order to drive the story. That's not something I want to see in the movies.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 01:41 PM   #453
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I'm not familiar with the Civil War storyline firsthand, but from what I've heard of it, I can't see that sort of thing working at this point in the MCU. This world is too young and, as has been pointed out, has too few heroes. Also, SHIELD already knows who all of the major heroes are and keeps an eye on them to the best of their ability.

Maybe it could work at a much later phase when they've developed more properties. In the meantime, CA:TWS is clearly exploring the security vs. freedom issue in its own context.
50 years ago on the week of April 4: With a little help from their latest #1 single, the Beatles occupy the top five spots on the Billboard Hot 100 chart--a feat yet to be matched.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 02:15 PM   #454
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

The Civil War scenario seems like the kind of thing that would happen after ten to twenty years of dealing with crises ten or twenty times a month.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 03:45 PM   #455
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
More importantly, the story requires the heavy hitters to work. It can't be B listers and original adaptations.
They've got the most important heroes for that story: Captain America and Iron Man. Everybody else is just taking sides with them.
Well, having Downey Jr. for it was my biggest doubt.
Old October 28 2013, 05:42 PM   #456
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

The Dead Mixer wrote: View Post
I'm not familiar with the Civil War storyline firsthand, but from what I've heard of it, I can't see that sort of thing working at this point in the MCU. This world is too young and, as has been pointed out, has too few heroes. Also, SHIELD already knows who all of the major heroes are and keeps an eye on them to the best of their ability.

Maybe it could work at a much later phase when they've developed more properties. In the meantime, CA:TWS is clearly exploring the security vs. freedom issue in its own context.
Agreed. It's too early for that kind of scenario and too early for the heroes to be at each other's throats. Another decade could flesh out that situation nicely as more superheroes emerge and questions are asked about "who watches the watchers?"
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 09:30 PM   #457
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
A larger problem for a potential adaptation would be trying to get Downey's Iron Man into a place where he can believably stand up and support a Registration act so passionately that he's willing to fight his former allies over it. So far, mcu Iron Man has been extremely distrustful of shield and the government both, and he's been continuously proven right about that, so something big would have to happen, probably several times over, to get him to that kind of about face.
That's what I thought too. This is a man who stopped manufacturing arms, refused to hand over his technology to the US government and military and was rude to a senator. Pretty much the opposite of the Stark of Civil War, from what I know of it.
Old October 29 2013, 12:29 AM   #458
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

That's a good point. It's part of the take on Stark in the movies I hadn't considered. How does it compare to his character as a whole from the comics? I've always understood him to be a bit more right wing than other superheroes.
Old October 29 2013, 12:41 AM   #459
Christopher
Writer

Well, I remember reading the J. Michael Straczynski-written Amazing Spider-Man issues that led into Civil War, and in them it seemed that Stark held pretty much the opposite view on registration than he did in CW. Although I think the idea was that he was anti-registration until the tragic incident that set off the miniseries changed his mind. But I do recall reading reviews complaining that a lot of characters were written inconsistently among the various series involved in the crossover.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 12:47 AM   #460
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

While Bendis had him seeing something like Stamford coming from months, possibly years, away...and trying for a "let's get ahead of this so we can ride it out properly" outcome.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 01:05 AM   #461
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Agreed. It's too early for that kind of scenario and too early for the heroes to be at each other's throats. Another decade could flesh out that situation nicely as more superheroes emerge and questions are asked about "who watches the watchers?"
Now...if, as some have speculated, Marvel Studios plan to develop a Defenders franchise in the same continuity...

...and if the heroes involved in that leg of the MCU aren't the types to answer to SHIELD...

...and if, after the Defenders have had their own team movie, Marvel can still get back the major actors from the Avengers franchise...

...imagine the glory of an Avengers vs. Defenders film somewhere down the road...!

A lot of huge ifs, I know....
50 years ago on the week of April 4: With a little help from their latest #1 single, the Beatles occupy the top five spots on the Billboard Hot 100 chart--a feat yet to be matched.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 01:48 AM   #462
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, I remember reading the J. Michael Straczynski-written Amazing Spider-Man issues that led into Civil War, and in them it seemed that Stark held pretty much the opposite view on registration than he did in CW. Although I think the idea was that he was anti-registration until the tragic incident that set off the miniseries changed his mind. But I do recall reading reviews complaining that a lot of characters were written inconsistently among the various series involved in the crossover.
JMS had a very consistent pattern during the CW story and its aftermath of writing Iron Man as a cartoon villain. There were a number of writers who had that problem, but he was probably the most egregious instance; there are a number of times were the Spider-Man tie-ins that he wrote, in particular, completely undermine the main story.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 02:15 AM   #463
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
That's a good point. It's part of the take on Stark in the movies I hadn't considered. How does it compare to his character as a whole from the comics? I've always understood him to be a bit more right wing than other superheroes.
Like a lot of early Marvel heroes he fought a fair amount of Communist villains, perhaps more than most. But as the sixties wore on that was played down. Stark also got out of the munitions business in comics decades before doing so in films. In the eighties his main character traits became alcoholism and losing his business.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 02:39 AM   #464
CaptainCanada
Admiral

The degree to which Stark Industries was involved in military contracting varied considerably from run to run. Often it'd creep back in.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 12:32 AM   #465
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

A first unofficial look at Emily Van Camp as Agent 13.

The image was apparently captured at a 3D showing of Thor: The Dark World that featured the extended CA:TWS trailer.