RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,720
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 801
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 26 2013, 04:47 PM   #376
Procutus
Admiral

Re: Classic Who on BBC America

And it's The Stolen Earth/Journey's End that's being show, is that correct?
Old October 26 2013, 11:15 PM   #377
DWF
Vice Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
The Time Of Angels was a bad turning point actually, Moffat changed the rules regarding the Angels and it really started up the mystery surrounding River.
I wouldn't say that the story "really started up the mystery surrounding River." They make 1 or 2 brief mentions of the fact that the Doctor doesn't really know who River is yet. But that's about it. Out of all of River's appearances, I'd say it's the one where River's presence is the most incidental and the one that spends the least time focusing on or speculating about River's backstory.
It's in that two parter that we learn that River is prison for murder for the first time.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 11:22 PM   #378
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, it doesn't start the River mystery (the first appearance does that with the fact that she knows his name), but it really starts the "story." It shows that there's more to her than just a one-off mystery, but a building intrigue (iirc, that's when she says she killed the greatest man she ever knew).
Old October 28 2013, 06:38 AM   #379
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Watching Journey's End and boy was that finale one big epic destruction fest. Still, it was the perfect two episodes to show because it really does cover Tennant's entire era as the Doctor. I almost forgot how great he was in the role, better than Smith I think.

The more I watch the episode the more I think, from my perspective, this is a pretty good 8 year anniversary episode. So you don't have Smith and Eccleston, but you have the longest tenured Doctor in the 5 year span, all the companions, and plenty of Daleks, not to mention some great loud music which is a Staple of new Who. What more can you ask for.
Old October 28 2013, 06:59 AM   #380
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

What happened to Donna was such a tragedy, but it is really some of the best written stuff I've seen in the entire 2005-present series. Tate and the guy who played Wilfred (Cribbons was it?) were so well written in this series that the end of this episode really was just perfect.
Old October 28 2013, 07:47 AM   #381
Mr Light
Admiral

I love Journey's End. I think it's the perfect ending to the RTD/Tennant era.

Too bad we got End of Time after that

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 12:05 AM   #382
Redfern
Commodore

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
...the guy who played Wilfred (Cribbons was it?)
Yeah, Bernard Cribbins. He played the constable Tom Campbell in the second Peter Cushing Dalek movie, "Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 AD", and had fate unfolded differently, he would have been cast as the fourth Doctor!

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 12:22 AM   #383
Procutus
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
TSE/JE are my favorite nuWho eps. I agree with you, it's really the perfect ending to the RTD era, and frankly, if the show had simply ended there, I think I'd would've been happy with that.

That said, I gotta admit that I'm getting more psyched for 'The Day of the Doctor'. I just hope I won't be disappointed.
Old October 29 2013, 12:54 AM   #384
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Procutus wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
TSE/JE are my favorite nuWho eps. I agree with you, it's really the perfect ending to the RTD era, and frankly, if the show had simply ended there, I think I'd would've been happy with that.

That said, I gotta admit that I'm getting more psyched for 'The Day of the Doctor'. I just hope I won't be disappointed.
I know nothing about it to really form an opinion one way or another. I hope it's good, but while everyone is excited for the 50th anniversary, to me it's just another episode.

One thing I took away from rewatching Journey's End last night and maybe a problem I have with Doctor Who in it's current form is that it's hard to really "feel" anything in the current incarnation. What I mean is the episodes are fun and the characters good, but what I loved about when I first started watching Who was that it felt like characters were a lot more developed and utilized better. I mean look at Donna. It's been a while since I've seen any of Donna's Doctor Who's, but based on what I remember that ending to JE was really really sad. We got to know this character for a Christmas special and full season and we had the pleasure of watching her change. She changed from this bossy bitch to this gorgeous young intelligent woman and all that was snatched away from her. If you want a Reset button done well, look no further than Journey's End.

The same can be said with the other characters, and even the Doctor. We saw relationships build and die, we saw the Doctor actually caring for these people as people, not as companions, and Dave Tennant had great chemistry wtih pretty much everyone.

Granted we saw some of that with Smith and Amy and Rory (Moreso with Amy), but it didn't seem to go deep enough. Now that we have Smith and Clara, and it's just not the same. I'm hoping in the future instead of focusing on the timey whimy, they can get back to the characters. You can have distrust and bad relationships, but I want to see those develop again.
Old October 29 2013, 02:41 AM   #385
DWF
Vice Admiral

I loved The Stolen Earth/Journey's End two parter it had an epic movie quality to it and I love the interaction of the old companions. And I don't agree that Donna was reset, she can't go back to being the Doctor-Donna but she's still not the same person we met in The Runaway Bride.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote