RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,705
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 916
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old October 27 2013, 05:05 PM   #16
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant

Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse

captainkirk wrote: View Post
True. But it's still not fair. But it's also not confirmed that there is such a rule.
Yes it is. King Daniel Into Darkness posted a link to a post from a poster in contact with CBS's "person to talk to" in this regard, and it was apparently made clear: "no JJVerse". Might not necessarily be their toy box to lock, it they've locked it anyway.

EDIT: this link
http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...5&postcount=36

One day there'll be something cool in this signature, but not yet. Not yet.
Captain Jed R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 06:42 PM   #17
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

So does that mean no lens flare?
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 08:56 PM   #18
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

So effectively what you need to do is put XXXX on the end, throw in a few sex scenes and job done?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 09:09 PM   #19
USS Intrepid
Commodore

True. But it's still not fair. But it's also not confirmed that there is such a rule.
I think it's perfectly fair. The fact that they let us make fanfilms at all is more than fair to my mind.
Old October 27 2013, 10:19 PM   #20
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
I think it's perfectly fair. The fact that they let us make fanfilms at all is more than fair to my mind.
+1

Fan entitlement is really out of control.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 03:01 AM   #21
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
+1

Can I give you a +10 for understatement? I'm utterly thrilled that they're as open as they are. I really can't think of any other franchise that's as generous.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 06:12 AM   #22
Loken
Lieutenant Commander

DCR wrote: View Post
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
+1

Can I give you a +10 for understatement? I'm utterly thrilled that they're as open as they are. I really can't think of any other franchise that's as generous.

Actually Lucasfilm is the gold standard of how to treat the fan film community. They set rules for all to follow, encourage fans to make films and then actively promoted a film contest.

If you know anything of the Star Wars franchise's treatment of fan films, CBS can't hold a candle. I have spoken to the key people at CBS asking them to adopt such practices but unfortunately they don't want to deal with fan films unless absolutely necessary. Not that they don't care. I love the people at CBS, but they just don't get paid to deal with fan films.
Loken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 06:53 AM   #23
andriech
Commander

Send a message via AIM to andriech

I can confirm there is such a ban. The head of CBS legal gave it to me personally.

And, personally I think it's damn fair. The reason is simple: they will not allow any direct competition to the franchise's current money maker. They give us so much and ask so little. "Don't take away any of the money we can make from what we own and are making money from now"

It works this way. Say a fan loved Star Trek, but then thought Star Trek Into Darkness sucked big time and didn't agree with how JJ handled the characters. Well, in steps BigJJFan Productions with THEIR sequel Star Trek Into Light. Fan then starts pumping his money into BigJJFan Productions and promoting it all over the web. Well...there's a bunch of cash and PR and talk not going to CBS's cash cow.

We're pretty lucky that CBS legal considers all other fan films as adding to the interest in JJ Trek.

If you really want to do/see a JJverse fanfilm I am sure you will get to see one. You just have to wait until CBS gives up on the cash cow and lets Trek go into hibernation again. Then it won't be competition.

(And to clarify: CBS owns Star Trek and the merchandising. They "gave" the license to Paramount (for the time being) for the feature films. So...it all kicks back to CBS. And, well, all the toys, glasses, uniforms, etc that is sold because of the feature films is by CBS and they are the ones profiting from it. ALL Paramount makes money from is the films themselves.)
Old October 30 2013, 05:00 PM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

andriech wrote: View Post
(And to clarify: CBS owns Star Trek and the merchandising. They "gave" the license to Paramount (for the time being) for the feature films. So...it all kicks back to CBS. And, well, all the toys, glasses, uniforms, etc that is sold because of the feature films is by CBS and they are the ones profiting from it. ALL Paramount makes money from is the films themselves.)
Then how come it was Paramount/Bad Robot that were able to stop the Abramsverse novels that were going to be produced by Pocket and they seem to control the Abramsverse comics produced by IDW?
Old October 30 2013, 05:11 PM   #25
jamesmc
Lieutenant Commander

Patty is in Error. There is no such ban form CBS or anyone regarding the Abrams stuff. I think everyone just assumed that because those films were the" it thing" right now not to do something with them, when in reality there is no ban on doing a fan film set in that universe! The only BAN is on making money and you can bet the hammer will fall on the crowd funding stuff very soon. I think J.J. and Bob Orci and those guys would be flattered if someone paid tribute to their stuff! They are very cool guys. I have spoken to CBS legal about several different issues over the years and they have always been very helpful in what to do and what not to do. I am sure they don't draw a distinction between which eras of Trek to do a fan film about!
James Cawley
jamesmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 09:09 PM   #26
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

In Star Trek: Hidden Frontier there's an interesting nod to the JJAbramsverse. A wormhole opens up near Romulus and the USS Odyssey manages to shut it down before it destroys the whole system. Then they mention a mining ship is nearby.
Old October 31 2013, 11:40 PM   #27
captainkirk
Commander

I feel that I should explain what I meant. Whether a story is set in the Prime universe, the JJverse, or the Mirror universe, it won't make a single difference to the average movie goer. No fan film will unless it was given massive amounts of media attention. So to just discriminate based on the universe it's set in would be pointless. It has nothing to do with entitlement as I'm not making a fan film (I did have an idea for a JJverse story, though).

But given James Cawley's post, I don't think it's an issue.
Old November 1 2013, 07:35 AM   #28
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant

Curious that this "ban" has become something that comes up even though it doesn't exist.

Having said that: it would be very difficult to do the JJVerse. The CGI isn't a problem, but the sets?

One day there'll be something cool in this signature, but not yet. Not yet.
Captain Jed R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 07:49 AM   #29
Maurice
Vice Admiral

andriech wrote: View Post
I can confirm there is such a ban. The head of CBS legal gave it to me personally.
jamesmc wrote: View Post
Patty is in Error. There is no such ban form CBS or anyone regarding the Abrams stuff.
Ok...so how to account for this discrepancy given the first quote?
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 06:42 PM   #30
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Does it mean JJVerse completely? Or just the crew of the Enterprise in the new timeline?