RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,650
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 555
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old October 27 2013, 05:32 AM   #856
drychlick
Captain

Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

yep that was weird
Old October 27 2013, 05:40 AM   #857
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Only in the World Series do you get weirdness like that. It looked like the right call too.
Old October 27 2013, 06:05 AM   #858
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I caught it on the radio, will need to see the highlights in the morning.

One of the more memorable games in recent WS history.
Old October 27 2013, 02:01 PM   #859
Yanks
Fleet Captain

comsol wrote: View Post
Man, weird way to win Game 3. I don't think I've ever seen a game end like that.
drychlick wrote: View Post
yep that was weird
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Only in the World Series do you get weirdness like that. It looked like the right call too.
As much as the situation is unfortunate for the Red Sox, the call was correct.
Old October 27 2013, 02:10 PM   #860
Scout101
Admiral

Going to need a look in the offseason. Correct interpretation of the rule, but it's very vague. Problem is, what was Middle rooms supposed to do? Had to dive, then started to get up. Craig tripped before he got to him, then again over him. He started to get up (when his legs came up, watch his ass too, he's trying to get up) then stays down to try and stay out of the way. Literally nothing he could do at any point there. He was also way inside the lines, runner should have to be near the line. If he runs towards the mound first, whose fault is that, and how can you avoid it?

Right application of a crap rule. Anti-Tuck Rule, I suppose
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old October 27 2013, 02:24 PM   #861
Use of Time
Commodore

I have no problem with the rule. Middlebrooks can't do anything there but he is still obstructing the basepath whether its his fault or not. You can't really blame the runner for being a little inside. On the replay you see him watch the ball and then turn around to run where he immediately trips over Middlebrooks before he completes his first step. It's not like he deliberately veered off the basepaths. The rule does have merit because you know that without it there would be some schenanigans on the basepaths.

Crazy week for Boston sports fans though.
Old October 27 2013, 02:56 PM   #862
Scout101
Admiral

Eh, watch again. He stumbled, THEN tripped over Middlebrooks. He was already going down first. And it's not just a little inside, his first step was towards the mound, probably 3' off of the chalk line.

He should have to own at least some effort to not run into the guy if the guy isn't there intentionally, but making a play on the ball.

Just needs a look later, because there's just nothing Middlebrooks could do to NOT obstruct him (very likely ) during the play.

Not arguing that it was basically right as called, just a shitty way to end what had been a VERY good game. And I don't want to see Salty again this series. 2 stupid errors trying to get people at 3rd, and not hitting for shit. Sit him down and stay with Ross for the rest of the series, I'm done with him. We had a fairly crappy hitter up next with 2 outs and Koji on the mound, just get the 3rd out there and move on...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
Old October 27 2013, 03:17 PM   #863
Use of Time
Commodore

Well a runner generally would run through the bag and angle out towards the coaches box but since Craig slid he stood up on the inside of the bag. On the replay there is no where for Middlebrooks or Craig to go at that point. Craig has to go in a straight line towards the plate which is where Middlebrooks legs happen to be. Craig is facing away from the plate watching the ball and as soon as he turns towards the plate and makes his first step it is too late to avoid colliding with Middlebrooks, his momentum was carrying him. Middlebrooks actually appeared to help him out by just flattening out.

That rule isn't going anywhere though, if you impede the runner whether or not it is your fault it is going to get called. Not saying you don't know that but my facebook page was blowing up over this thing being a travesty. To me it wasn't even a controversial call but I'm also a Braves fan that defended the "infamous" infield fly call last year.
Old October 27 2013, 06:24 PM   #864
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

As a Red Sox fan, it was the right call. I have never seen anyone try to get up by throwing their feet in the air.

If other people have a problem with the call than maybe next time the Red Sox should have better pitching and not let o many people on base in the bottom of the 9th. The Red Sox team is just falling apart, the whole second half of the line up should be replaced, the pitchers can't stand up to the great young Cards' pitchers. If the Red Sox continue to play this way (And I sadly feel they will.) than they deserve to lose.
Old October 27 2013, 07:05 PM   #865
Yanks
Fleet Captain

We'll see if the Sox turn into the Cubs of 2003.
Old October 27 2013, 07:21 PM   #866
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yanks wrote: View Post
That still hurts.
Old October 27 2013, 07:30 PM   #867
Yanks
Fleet Captain

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
That still hurts.
That's OK, I'm still hurting from when the Yankees were up 3-0 and lost to the Red Sox.
Old October 27 2013, 08:58 PM   #868
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The Red Sox have already lost it. This isn't the 2004 team, not even close. They have too much going against them, and the Cards
are the better team.

If the Red Sox somehow win this I don't see it being that both teams played great baseball and the Sox came back. I'll see it more as the Cards' completely fell apart. I don't see that happening with them at home for two more games and tonight's Red Sox pitcher going "I think I can pitch... maybe... I hope I can" attitude.
Old October 27 2013, 10:46 PM   #869
comsol
Captain

I wouldn't be so sure. I think your team has been playing very well, and I've been impressed by the pitching (also tonight's pitcher may just be playing mind games with the Cardinals). Sure there has been a couple of bad plays, but the Cardinals have done that as well, so I wouldn't count your team out at all, and I expect it to be a very close series in the end - although being from St. Louis I hope that the Cards win, no matter how much the organization has pissed me off.
Old October 28 2013, 03:18 AM   #870
Scout101
Admiral

Eh, not done yet, as frustrating as it is to watch. If they manage to pull this one out tonight, it's a tied series. Lester has been great, maybe they go back to Boston 3-2. Then just gotta win 1 out of 2, at home. And Lackey has looked great as well.

Not exactly planning a duck boat parade just yet, but it's not over yet.
Closed Thread