Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 25 2013, 08:15 AM   #16
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Re: Throwing the Ferengi out with the bath water?

Undead wrote: View Post
In some respects, I think the original goal with the Ferengi was to do what FASA did for the Orions - have a culture that opposes a lot of the morals and values of our Federation heroes, and nonetheless gets away with it because they can call it "trading" or "business" and attract a lot of support from groups or races that might actually prefer them as potential allies over the Feds. The Federation banned Orion slavery in areas where it directly controlled or did business, but outside the borders there was little it could do. The Orions had enough economic advantages that on one occasion during the Four Years War (Feds vs Klingons), they were able to force both sides to refrain from hampering their "free trade" by threatening to withhold cargo that both factions considered too valuable to lose. FASA's proposed TNG era would have been a significant change since they intended the Klingons to join the Federation, and they were the Orions' biggest ally on many occasions before.
FASA?
Old October 25 2013, 12:09 PM   #17
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

MikeS wrote: View Post
FASA?
Role playing game and also war/combat games. Eventual they created a elaborate separate history for Starfleet and the Federation, the Klingons, the Romulans, etc.

Their "source books" are online (somewhere), you might find them interesting.

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Also this reminds me of something I'd forgotten: I've never tasted gold, does it have a particular taste? Does it taste different than, say, aluminum?
Yes, different metals have different favors on your tongue. Try putting a (clean) nickel on you tongue, then a penny,

Heck, they could have just written off the Ferengi from The Last Outpost as being sort of Kruge-type renegades.
My personal explaination is that the officer's of that particular ship were (seriously) using drugs, this is why they moved the way they did. And no other Ferengi did.

Basically they were on crack.

Old October 25 2013, 03:01 PM   #18
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
Also this reminds me of something I'd forgotten: I've never tasted gold, does it have a particular taste? Does it taste different than, say, aluminum?
Yes, different metals have different favors on your tongue. Try putting a (clean) nickel on you tongue, then a penny,
I wouldn't recommend doing this, even if it is "clean"...
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 05:16 PM   #19
Pavonis
Commodore

Maurice wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
It's hard to take a bunch of bald, hunch-backed trolls as serious enemies.
What does bald and hunch-backed have to do with anything? Do they need hair and straight spines to be taken seriously? Do you not take Picard seriously because he's bald?
Nope. I just can't take bald people seriously, especially Picard. How can he lead without a full head of hair, and a strong manly beard?! By the way, are you bald?

Anyway, if they wanted the Ferengi to be hunch-backed, they should've developed a reason for them to be so. They're perfectly capable of standing erect, so why were they hunched over and jumping around like monkeys? What was the artistic value of the decision?

The baldness isn't the problem - it's the baldness combined with the hunch-backed, crazed-monkey jumping that was the problem. The Ferengi looked like giant ugly toddlers. Who could take them seriously as a threat?

It's not the taste, it's the hardness. Gold is soft. Notice that people, in TV or real life, don't lick the gold with their tongue (where tasting is really done), they bite it with their teeth. They're testing the hardness.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 06:30 PM   #20
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

trekker670 wrote: View Post
I wouldn't recommend doing this, even if it is "clean"...
Why? Other than you would want to take care not to swallow the coin.

It's not the taste, it's the hardness. Gold is soft. Notice that people, in TV or real life, don't lick the gold with their tongue (where tasting is really done), they bite it with their teeth. They're testing the hardness.
When the Ferengi were biting the gold pressed latinum, I though perhaps that they were able to "sense" or taste the latinum inside the gold.

Making sure someone wasn't just handing them gold.

Old October 25 2013, 09:56 PM   #21
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I thought Ferengi did that by clanging the bars together and looking for the ding.

Something I would have loved to see in a Ferengi plot is, the Ferengi are going around to non-spacefaring planets in Federation space and selling them modern technology. This could have ended up in Quark-worthy debates.

"How dare you arrogant Federation types decide which cultures get to join your galactic civilization and which don't? We Ferengi are providing an opportunity for billions of people to share the same wealth you possess."

"And profiting off it in the meantime!"

"We make profits, they get to advance centuries in a matter of weeks. Everybody wins!"

Then they could turn that into a real debate over the prime directive and we could see some planets doing well with it and others destroying themselves.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 03:29 AM   #22
Mojochi
Commodore

You know... ultimately, I'm not entirely against how things turned out with the Ferengi. They have usefulness as is, in small doses like The Perfect Mate & The Price & some individual performances, like in Gambit & The Battle/Bloodlines. It gave their universe a bit more depth to have theses seedy lowlifes about. Sure they had ups & downs. What alien race didn't? As it ended up, they were far better suited in the capacity they were featured, than they'd have ever been as proper villains, even had they been given a more creative treatment
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 07:25 AM   #23
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

[QUOTE=Pavonis;8813086]
The baldness isn't the problem - it's the baldness combined with the hunch-backed, crazed-monkey jumping that was the problem.
That is the most nonsensical association I've seen on this on this board in some time, and that's saying something. It's as sensless as saying "The red fedora isn't the problem - it's the red fedora combined with the hunch-backed, crazed-monkey jumping that was the problem."
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 10:06 AM   #24
MikeS
Fleet Captain

FASA?
Role playing game and also war/combat games. Eventual they created a elaborate separate history for Starfleet and the Federation, the Klingons, the Romulans, etc.

Interesting. Thank-you.

I find there are too many unexplained acronyms on here at times. I thought it was refering to an episode.

Last edited by MikeS; October 26 2013 at 10:52 AM.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 10:10 PM   #25
Pavonis
Commodore

The baldness isn't the problem - it's the baldness combined with the hunch-backed, crazed-monkey jumping that was the problem.
That is the most nonsensical association I've seen on this on this board in some time, and that's saying something. It's as sensless as saying "The red fedora isn't the problem - it's the red fedora combined with the hunch-backed, crazed-monkey jumping that was the problem."
I'm sorry you feel that way, but I don't really care. Some people just can't pull off wearing a red fedora. Some things just don't go together - like bologna and filet mignon, or bald and monkey-toddler behavior, or you and your red fedora.

Bye now.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 02:07 AM   #26
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

FASA?

Yep. I also know a good source where you can actually buy a lot of the old sourcebooks, and I'd highly recommend them to you. Drop me a PM. FASA still exists as a gaming company, but not on the same scale they did back then. They had a license from Paramount up until TNG premiered, and only made one TNG supplement (The Officer's Manual). Interestingly, it's probably the one product that deviates the most from what has been established since. Most of their TOS-Movie era stuff was based on a smaller selection of canon material and some of the other tie-ins; the Klingons as described by FASA are based on John Ford's designs. While some of that has been overwritten by later canon, a lot of it fit pretty smoothly into the era it was written for.

The name FASA itself is an in-joke by the company staff. It was based on a Marx Brothers movie set in several fictional countries, and one was called Freedonia. FASA stands for the Freedonian Air and Space Administration.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 02:31 AM   #27
Pondwater
Commodore

I like that the Ferengi were turned into the comic relief of the galaxy. Klingons, Romulans, Borg...etc.

...All night long...
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 01:32 PM   #28
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Retawdnop wrote: View Post
I like that the Ferengi were turned into the comic relief of the galaxy.
Voyager basically did the same thing with the Borg. Turned them into a joke.

Borg: "We are the Borg, you will be ..."

Victim: "yawn, what else is on?"

Old October 27 2013, 05:58 PM   #29
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Retawdnop wrote: View Post
I like that the Ferengi were turned into the comic relief of the galaxy.
Voyager basically did the same thing with the Borg. Turned them into a joke.

Borg: "We are the Borg, you will be ..."

Victim: "yawn, what else is on?"

Oh, no they didn't. They just had Voyager run into them more often than TNG did.

I suppose you hate that VOY showed there was a single alien species out there that could fight the Borg and win?
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 06:32 PM   #30
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
... there was a single alien species out there that could fight the Borg and win?
The play-doh people from fluidic space?