Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: vote
I prefer the Wrath of Khan 110 72.85%
I Prefer Into Darkness 17 11.26%
I like them both the same 24 15.89%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 18 2013, 01:15 AM   #91
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
... and mistaken for a woman.
Maybe you need to get a guy face for you avatar? Apologies if that is a guy's face.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 02:11 AM   #92
Push The Button
Captain

TWoK...I was 16 in 1982, and saw it four times in the theater that summer. Easily my favorite of all the Trek movies, and it still holds up pretty well today.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 07:57 AM   #93
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

ChowdaHead wrote: View Post
although I completely disagree, I do want to make clear it was just a joke. and no, I would never bash you or anyone for being a homosexual. i completely support equality. and sorry for mistaking you for a woman. haha.
Clarification is appreciated, if intended as a joke, a smilie after such statements would be appreciated.
Old October 19 2013, 08:01 AM   #94
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
... and mistaken for a woman.
Maybe you need to get a guy face for you avatar? Apologies if that is a guy's face.

I suddenly feel sorry for Maryann Plunkett, I don't think she looks manish

Since the adventures of the Silverfin, commanded by Susanna Leijten, is my primary fanfic series I thought it only fitting to have her as my avatar.

Besides the little masculine emblem just underneath should clarify any confusion...I'd hope anyway
Old October 19 2013, 08:03 AM   #95
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I love HISHE!

They totally nailed the whole point of Marcus being in the film
Old October 25 2013, 02:34 PM   #96
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Easily WRATH OF KHAN, no question.
No question about it. The poll result comes as no surprise.
Old October 25 2013, 02:36 PM   #97
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Mage wrote: View Post
I like both the same, both for different reasons.
Pretty much this, they're both entertaining in their own right.
Old October 25 2013, 03:03 PM   #98
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Each to his own: each according to his gifts.

Honestly.....that says it all. A stronger comparison might be TWOK to ST:ID as one of the old kid-targeted Book and Record versions of popular films.
Old October 26 2013, 10:00 AM   #99
Mario de Monti
Captain

I donīt think, that itīs a very fair comparison. Firstly, the two movies are from completely different times, have been made for completely different audiences and used completely different filmmaking and special effects techniques. And secondly, many of us have seen TWOK dozens of times in the 30 years itīs been around; STID is brand new and just canīt be that much an integral part of anyoneīs personal Trek universe.

That being said, I enjoy both movies very much, each for different reasons. So initially, I wanted to vote for both of them. But seeing how far TWOK is ahead in this poll, I decided to give my vote to STID - to even things out a little

Mario
Old October 26 2013, 02:27 PM   #100
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
I donīt think, that itīs a very fair comparison. Firstly, the two movies are from completely different times, have been made for completely different audiences and used completely different filmmaking and special effects techniques. And secondly, many of us have seen TWOK dozens of times in the 30 years itīs been around; STID is brand new and just canīt be that much an integral part of anyoneīs personal Trek universe.

That being said, I enjoy both movies very much, each for different reasons. So initially, I wanted to vote for both of them. But seeing how far TWOK is ahead in this poll, I decided to give my vote to STID - to even things out a little

Mario
Yup, TWoK is going to have a lot more personal meaning to most of the board. I first watched it back in the late 80's and have seen it more times than I remember. I've only seen STID a few times and that's only this year.

But then, the thread title and it's "Versus" wasn't particularly fair either. As you mentioned, comparing films 30 years apart made by two different groups of people with entirely different casts doesn't make for a sound comparison.

But I still went with "both" as honestly I love both.
Old October 27 2013, 07:58 AM   #101
Mario de Monti
Captain

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post

Honestly.....that says it all. A stronger comparison might be TWOK to ST:ID as one of the old kid-targeted Book and Record versions of popular films.
Sorry guys, I think youīre idolizing TWOK a bit too much. When it comes to the filming style and similar "technicalities" see my post above - that is just a matter of personal preference. But as a follow-up to the almost cerebral TMP, TWOK was quite a drastic departure: it was action packed with space battles, had plenty of blood and violence, a ruthless, homicidal maniac for a villain and it totally changed the look and feel established in TMP. It was a Trek action movie that seemed to try to get a piece of the "Star Wars pie". And itīs filled with plot-holes and other things that make no sense.

Donīt get me wrong, I still love that movie dearly. However, Iīm well aware of itīs flaws, but I can disregard them when I watch it to not spoil my enjoyment of it - just as I can in STID. TWOK is definitely not a classic motion picture masterpiece like "Citizen Kane" or "2001" - just a fun and entertaining SF film. And thatīs ok

Mario
Old October 27 2013, 08:25 AM   #102
R. Star
Rear Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post

That's classic.
Old November 12 2013, 08:47 PM   #103
dub
Captain

dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 08:48 PM   #104
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Both scenes were really well-done.
Old November 13 2013, 01:32 AM   #105
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I highly doubt Benedict Cumberbatch's Khan is going to be quoted by someone like Quentin Tarantino in twenty years.

I see nothing iconic or standing out in STD. Major points in the film are just rehashed from the previous film (Enterprise rising out of the clouds, the space jump, Kirk's promotion/demotion thing, etc...), and the emotional climax of the film is taken from TWOK, just with reversed roles. Cumberbatch just chews on his dialogue like it was a Lion chocolate bar, but if you take that away, it's just really shallow talk. Some characters, like Carol Marcus, are just in there for fan service but serve no real purpose. The film wouldn't lose anything if you removed her character from the script.

The only memorable thing is the Enterprise rising out of the water. And that's just a cool visual effects shot for the sake of it, but there was no meaning behind it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote