Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old October 24 2013, 07:20 PM   #31
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: OSX Mavericks...

^ The Express would probably be enough for your needs, unless you want 802.11ac networking.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 07:53 PM   #32
Warped9
Admiral

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
^ The Express would probably be enough for your needs, unless you want 802.11ac networking.
I run the iMac off the wi-fi, but since the router is right there it could just as easily be an ethernet connection (which is what it is presently). I use the wi-fi for my iPad (and iPhone when I'm home) and occasionally when someone visits like my brother or sisters which isn't too often.

But if this is a Mavericks issue then the question is will a newer router, even an Airport, make a difference and get around the issue? The other thing that gets me is that I can't get any dialog window off my Setup CD even after deleting the network and resetting the router and starting all from scratch as if new.
Old October 24 2013, 09:32 PM   #33
StolenThunder
Poster

My mid-2007 iMac, much like Geordi, has just rolled under the closing door - so I've had a bit of an upgrade blowout these past 24 hours. Mavericks, apparently free upgrades to the full versions of Pages, Keynote, a bit of app updating, and iOS tidying up on both my iPod and my iPad.

I'm noticing my computer just getting a bit creaky, so I'll think about updating at some point - but the reality is I could probably get out another year simply by doubling RAM - which would be a temporising option.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 09:35 PM   #34
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

I have never had any network issues with Mavericks. That upgrade went absolutely seamless for me (as did the switch from my old AirPort Express to the new Extreme - the AirPort Utility made it totally smooth).

@Warped: Just in case something like this happens again, you may need the Ethernet as a backup, in which case it would be better to go with the Extreme. FWIW.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old October 25 2013, 03:06 PM   #35
Warped9
Admiral

@Warped9: I would be remiss if I didn't put in my usual recommendation for Apple gear. In this case, the AirPort Extreme router (the one that looks like a white skyscraper ). I found the setup to be absolutely seamless and it works great.

Plus it supports dual 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz networks simultaneously. Your gear will connect to whichever one it can support, automatically.
This is one of the reasons I have stuck with Apple since I started owning a computer: little to no fuss in setup and use. I've pretty much decided to go with an Airport.

Otherwise everything else seems to be working fine with Mavericks. Safari actually seems to work better with it as well. I had some concern about SketchUp's compatibility initially but it works just fine. The only thing I had to fix (sort of) was my copy of Little Snitch which allows me to use my CS4 Photoshop and Illustrator. I had to upgrade to LS 3.3 and renew my licence. Thankfully I became aware of it before trying out Photoshop and Illustrator or it could have been a big headache.
Old October 26 2013, 03:27 PM   #36
Warped9
Admiral

Yep, Safari is definitely working better with Mavericks than it did with Mountain Lion.
Old October 26 2013, 03:41 PM   #37
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

I vastly prefer Firefox over Safari, not the least of reasons why is that Firefox will let you set cookies selectively (i.e. lets you block all cookies except from the sites you specify).
Old October 26 2013, 04:23 PM   #38
Metryq
Captain

I vastly prefer Firefox over Safari, not the least of reasons why is that Firefox will let you set cookies selectively (i.e. lets you block all cookies except from the sites you specify).
I think I was the only one in the cinema laughing during THE MATRIX when the Oracle offered Neo a cookie.
Old October 26 2013, 08:33 PM   #39
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Roshi Ze Zombie wrote: View Post
Instead of typing special combinations for accents and some symbols, now you only have to press the keys a little longer and like on the iPhones and iPads, those symboles appear above the letter just typed.
I was doing that with ML just a couple of weeks ago so I don't think its new.

Overall Mavericks seems to be good, no major issues and I think I'm going to like tabs in Finder.
Old October 27 2013, 04:11 AM   #40
RoJoHen
Awesome

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Yep, Safari is definitely working better with Mavericks than it did with Mountain Lion.
I never upgraded to Mountain Lion when it came out, so Mavericks is my first update in a long time. I actually preferred the way Safari used to work. Something about it now is just off.
Old October 27 2013, 05:31 PM   #41
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Took like an hour and the only differences I noticed are iPhoto is now blue, not yellow and Finder Taps / Tags which is neat.

However Safari keeps locking up on me.
Old October 27 2013, 07:27 PM   #42
Metryq
Captain

^One of our top spies. Nothing gets past him.
Old January 22 2014, 02:51 AM   #43
Warped9
Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
@Warped9: I would be remiss if I didn't put in my usual recommendation for Apple gear. In this case, the AirPort Extreme router (the one that looks like a white skyscraper ). I found the setup to be absolutely seamless and it works great.

Plus it supports dual 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz networks simultaneously. Your gear will connect to whichever one it can support, automatically.
I'm actually tempted to go with that. Is the Airport Extreme necessary or would Airport Express serve? The Extreme is twice the price of the Express I believe.
Well it took awhile, but yesterday I finally got around to getting an Airport Express and my wi-fi now works perfectly. And it was the easiest think to setup since it pretty much sets up itself.