TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 26 2013, 04:02 PM   #16
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: So bloody sick of weekly TV reboots

Still does CBS really need a Charmed reboot? Murder, She Wrote? Knight Rider and Bionic Woman made some sense, but others just ended and others still don't really have a fan base. What fanbase do you think Murder, She Wrote has? They are all dead.
Old October 26 2013, 04:14 PM   #17
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Still does CBS really need a Charmed reboot? Murder, She Wrote? Knight Rider and Bionic Woman made some sense, but others just ended and others still don't really have a fan base. What fanbase do you think Murder, She Wrote has? They are all dead.
Since I'm of the opinion that Charmed and Murder She Wrote didn't need to be made in the first place, you're asking the wrong guy.
Old October 26 2013, 05:02 PM   #18
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

How did Knight Rider and Bionic Woman make sense?

As to reboots, they are so successful in theaters it was really onlly a matter of time before they were all over the small screen.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 05:21 PM   #19
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

I suppose there has been an uptick in TV remakes, but they're hardly unknown in previous seasons. Some of the earliest TV shows were remakes/reboots of Radio shows.
Old October 26 2013, 06:44 PM   #20
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
I've not watched TV in years (analog tech TV), but I was getting sick of "reality" shows by then anyway.
Same here. All my TV viewing is done by DVD now. Mostly classic stuff, or shows that were on when I was a young man (twenty years ago). Occasionally I'll watch something new, but even then, not until it's on DVD.

By which time, the "new" show is already a year old.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 06:44 PM   #21
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

According to Donald Bain in the 2010 book, Tied In, 35 Murder, She Wrote novels were still in print and had a total print run of 4.5 million copies! Factoring in the notion that tie-in novels only sell to a slim margin on the source material's core audience and one can see that Murder, She Wrote still has a very sizable fanbase. In his essay, Bain goes on to say that he regularly participates in lectures on what is primarily a Murder, She Wrote fan cruise on the QE2.

Clearly with a fan cruise(!), 35 novels still in print, and 2 more contracted to be coming from Bain (at that time); Murder, She Wrote is still an ongoing business concern with a dedicated fanbase.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 06:49 PM   #22
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

What fanbase do you think Murder, She Wrote has? They are all dead.
My mom and grandma were fans and they're both dead, so I guess your point is valid.

Thanks for the reminder.....
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 07:28 PM   #23
Aldo
Admiral

Bazinga!
Old October 27 2013, 04:15 AM   #24
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Battlestar Galactica is proof that rebooting an old show can have fantastic results.

I have no problem with reboots/remakes as long as they're good. Many suck, but then most shows suck, period.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 03:49 PM   #25
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
I suppose there has been an uptick in TV remakes, but they're hardly unknown in previous seasons. Some of the earliest TV shows were remakes/reboots of Radio shows.
And then there's the American versions of foreign TV shows. If we just stuck to our own stuff, we never would have had All in the Family, Sanford and Son, Three's Company, or Ugly Betty. (yes, I realize I'm cherry-picking the successful ones.)
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 04:32 PM   #26
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Every forensic detective show on air is a rehash of CSI. Rehash, reboot, what's the real difference? One's the exact same show with different character names, the other is the exact same show with the same character names.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 10:02 PM   #27
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

And the majority of them for the past ten or so years have also been on CBS. They're all basically high-ratings hits, but you'd think they'd try for a bit more variety. The SOLO cops of the 70s were a helluva lot more visually distinctive in their own way. They mostly had one-name titles (IRONSIDE, CANNON, COLUMBO, KOJAK, McCLOUD, etc.) but at least they stood out personality-wise rather than letting the plot be the be-all and end-all.

BREAKING BAD has NOT been remade. Yet. But, someday, you can bet it will, probably the moment Vince Gilligan passes on. Same goes for JAWS and Spielberg. Why'd I include it? For the same reason TREK scripts always add an unknown name to a list of known ones: it's going to happen.
Old October 28 2013, 10:40 PM   #28
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Breaking Bad is being remade for Columbia TV.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/02/br...walter-blanco/
Old October 28 2013, 11:54 PM   #29
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I'd draw a distinction between Colombian TV making their own Spanish-language version of Breaking Bad with Colombian actors and locations, and NBC doing a remake of Murder, She Wrote.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 02:45 AM   #30
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

They tried to do a Prisoner remake a few years ago and it was terrible.

Not sure whose idea it was to take a very abstracted, conceptual show and approach it like David Lynch's dimwitted cousin, making even more bizarrely abstracted and conceptual only without any solid consistent themes or personality.

Such a waste of Ian McKellan.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote