RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 488
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 26 2013, 04:20 AM   #16
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Re: Most interesting casting choice

Corylea wrote: View Post
Lockwood is quoted in the book as saying that he tilted his head back because he thought that gave him an appropriately arrogant air, since he was supposed to be playing a would-be god. The head-tilt was an intentional acting decision, not a side effect of the lenses.
It was quite effective, too, I always thought.
Old October 26 2013, 05:44 AM   #17
Corylea
Lieutenant

BigJake wrote: View Post
Lockwood is quoted in the book as saying that he tilted his head back because he thought that gave him an appropriately arrogant air, since he was supposed to be playing a would-be god.
It was quite effective, too, I always thought.
Yes, I agree!
Corylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 12:24 AM   #18
Corylea
Lieutenant

I thought the very strangest casting choices for guest stars were the ones where a recognizable guest star repeated in a very different role. Mark Lenard's role in "Balance of Terror" was not small or easily-overlooked, so seeing him again as Spock's father in "Journey to Babel" was rather a shock. And subsequent watchings of "Balance of Terror" -- after seeing him as Spock's father -- were pretty surreal. Surely Spock's father wouldn't attack the Enterprise? I know they're estranged and all, but isn't that taking things a little too far?

Almost as surreal was seeing Trelane show up as a Klingon captain in "The Trouble With Tribbles." WTF? How did Trelane become a Klingon? Again, Trelane was not a small role, so we couldn't fail to recognize his face when he appeared again in "The Trouble With Tribbles."

I guess things were different in the 60's.
Corylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 12:42 AM   #19
Christopher
Writer

I thought the very strangest casting choices for guest stars were the ones where a recognizable guest star repeated in a very different role....
I guess things were different in the 60's.
Not only was that par for the course in the '60s and '70s, it still happens from time to time today. On Law and Order, Jeremy Sisto played (IIRC) a defense attorney in the 17th-season finale and then got cast as one of the regular cops in the 18th-season premiere. And heck, the next star of Doctor Who is Peter Capaldi, who's played two previous roles in the franchise -- and former companions Freema Agyeman and Karen Gillan had also played other guest characters not long before. (As did several other regular or recurring players in the original series, but I'm focusing on modern instances.)

But yeah, it did happen all the time in '60s and '70s TV, when nobody expected old episodes to be remembered for long and continuity wasn't an issue. Generally they tried to avoid having an actor play two different characters in the same season, unless it was a minor background player, but there were a lot of shows where you'd see the same actors come back roughly once a season in different roles each time.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 01:46 PM   #20
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

You can't watch ten episodes of The Rifleman without seeing Richard Anderson. I think they used to alternate him as good guy and bad guy.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 02:51 PM   #21
CaptPapa
Commander

Frank Gorshin (Bele) and William Campbell (Koloth) stand out to me. I liked Gorshin as the Riddler, but didn't care for him in any other roles I can think of - including this one. I liked Campbell very much in any other roles I can think of, except this one. I don't know if his acting, or the writer (or director) were responsible for the watered-down Klingon that apppeared onscreen, but it just didn't work - for me.
The other thing that was . . . odd, were the background characters that would die in one episode, and reappear later on, either as the same, or another background character - Eddie Paskey, take a bow.
Old October 30 2013, 02:54 PM   #22
EnsignHarper
Commander

then there is the Jack Webb Repertory Company -

Art Balinger: 18 episodes of Dragnet 67/70 in three seasons
15 episodes of Emergency! in four seasons

Art Gilmore: 15 episodes of Adam 12
15 " of Dragnet 67

Virginia Gregg: 13 Dragnets
8 Adam 12

Olan Soule : 8 Dragnets

you get the idea...
EnsignHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 02:50 AM   #23
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
^Macauley also played Landru in "Return of the Archons".
doh

47 years of watching. Hadn't noticed that.
Old October 31 2013, 11:54 PM   #24
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

How can we forget Ricardo Montalban, a Hispanic playing Khan, a Sikh from India. Crazy think is, he pulled it off !
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 12:05 AM   #25
Christopher
Writer

TOSalltheway wrote: View Post
How can we forget Ricardo Montalban, a Hispanic playing Khan, a Sikh from India. Crazy think is, he pulled it off !
Happened all the time in the '60s. Anyone remotely "ethnic" in appearance got cast as all sorts of different ethnicities. Michael Ansara, who was from Syria, often played American Indians. Barbara Luna got cast as all sorts of different ethnicities. Even Leonard Nimoy was sometimes cast as an Indian or Asian.

But no, Montalban did not remotely pull off playing a Sikh. Sikh men are not clean-shaven, they do not have neck-length hair, they do not go bareheaded in public, and those who come from India do not, as a rule, have Mexican accents. (Although there is a Sikh community in Mexico, and a distinctive Punjabi Mexican American community that's formed around Yuba City, CA and includes Sikhs as well as Hindu, Muslims, and Catholics.)

Old November 1 2013, 01:21 AM   #26
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

I thought the very strangest casting choices for guest stars were the ones where a recognizable guest star repeated in a very different role. Mark Lenard's role in "Balance of Terror" was not small or easily-overlooked, so seeing him again as Spock's father in "Journey to Babel" was rather a shock.
I have long heard (don't ask me for a source -- probably an old issue of Starlog, or just fannish gossip) that Lenard was approached to portray Abraham Lincoln in The Savage Curtain but was unavailable, so the part went to Lee Bergere.

Can anyone confirm?

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 03:30 AM   #27
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
TOSalltheway wrote: View Post
Happened all the time in the '60s. Anyone remotely "ethnic" in appearance got cast as all sorts of different ethnicities. Michael Ansara, who was from Syria, often played American Indians. Barbara Luna got cast as all sorts of different ethnicities. Even Leonard Nimoy was sometimes cast as an Indian or Asian.

But no, Montalban did not remotely pull off playing a Sikh. Sikh men are not clean-shaven, they do not have neck-length hair, they do not go bareheaded in public, and those who come from India do not, as a rule, have Mexican accents. (Although there is a Sikh community in Mexico, and a distinctive Punjabi Mexican American community that's formed around Yuba City, CA and includes Sikhs as well as Hindu, Muslims, and Catholics.)
I have to call nitpicking on this one. Khan may have been born to a Sikh family, and may have even been raised Sikh, but such an arrogant, self-aggrandizing rat bastard with delusions of grandeur can not, in any sense, have been a practicing Sikh. By the time he was exiled, Khan must have thrown off all the trappings of his childhood religion, fully believing himself above them, and all they represent to the true believers.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 04:01 AM   #28
Christopher
Writer

^But none of that is evident in the episode itself. So there's nothing in his actual performance that constitutes "pulling off" the role of a Sikh from India.

Old November 1 2013, 04:51 AM   #29
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Then there's the fact that Marla can tell he's a Sikh even though nothing about his outward appearance says "Sikh". Is she psychic? Love to read the Kellam de Forrest feedback on that.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 02:49 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer

^I recall that somebody (Harvey?) actually posted the de Forrest notes about the inaccuracies in "Space Seed" somewhere on this BBS just a month or two ago. Too bad the producers ignored them.