Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 22 2013, 11:32 PM   #46
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Re: Is TAS worth watching?

RandyS wrote: View Post
Yes, TAS is worth watching.

And yes, it's dated.

However, for THAT alone, it's worth watching.
Agree.

Christopher wrote: View Post
TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
It technically isn't canon, so if you miss it, you miss nothing.
This is a myth. Roddenberry issued a memo in 1989 that basically distanced the canon from TAS, but that was because Filmation was going through bankruptcy at the time and Paramount couldn't make use of its shows. But once Roddenberry died, his definitions of canon were no longer binding, and Paramount/CBS resolved the copyright issues ages ago. There have been numerous TAS references in later canon works, like a mention of the Klothos in DS9, the various "Edosian" plants and animals mentioned in ENT, and references to Vulcan's Forge in TNG and ENT. TAS is included equally alongside the other shows on StarTrek.com's reference pages and on Memory Alpha, which limits itself to canonical sources. So there is no reasonable basis for the idea that TAS isn't canon. That was true for a couple of years, but that was decades ago.
Agree. TAS=canon
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 11:46 PM   #47
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Rayna wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
Yes, TAS is worth watching.

And yes, it's dated.

However, for THAT alone, it's worth watching.
So is TOS, but that's part of the charm
Exactly.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 01:20 PM   #48
FreddyE
Commander

GoRe Star wrote: View Post

You can stream them for free on startrek.com so I'd watch a couple there before I shelled out money on the DVDs.
It´s geo-locked. Hmm...seems I need to go thru the hassle of setting up a TOR environment again....;-)
FreddyE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 01:42 AM   #49
hammerhead
Lieutenant Commander

I agree a lot of modern Trek has TAS references, but some of TAS may have trouble been classified as canon (like the whole Kzinti/Larry Niven backstory) where Earth has been involved in wars with the Kzinti. I think if you drop those episodes, then you can include some i.e Yesteryear has been referenced so many times....
Old October 24 2013, 01:56 AM   #50
SiddFinch1
Commander

hammerhead wrote: View Post
I agree a lot of modern Trek has TAS references, but some of TAS may have trouble been classified as canon (like the whole Kzinti/Larry Niven backstory) where Earth has been involved in wars with the Kzinti. I think if you drop those episodes, then you can include some i.e Yesteryear has been referenced so many times....
If Enterprise wasn't cancelled they supposey were going to include a kzinti I. Season 5
Old October 24 2013, 02:14 AM   #51
Christopher
Writer

hammerhead wrote: View Post
I agree a lot of modern Trek has TAS references, but some of TAS may have trouble been classified as canon (like the whole Kzinti/Larry Niven backstory) where Earth has been involved in wars with the Kzinti.
Sure, there have been episodes of TAS that later Trek has contradicted. But you can say the same about episodes of live-action shows, like TOS: "The Alternative Factor" (which contradicts both prior and subsequent Trek in its portrayal of antimatter and dilithium) and VGR: "Threshold" (which has been renounced as apocryphal by its own writer). Or about The Final Frontier, whose portrayal of the center of the galaxy being just 20 minutes' travel away was thoroughly ignored by DS9 and VGR. Sometimes a canon reinterprets or disregards parts of itself that don't fit later ideas.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 08:19 PM   #52
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

^ I'm willing to listen to any and all theories under which The Final Frontier would not be canon.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 11:00 PM   #53
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

SiddFinch1 wrote: View Post
If Enterprise wasn't cancelled they supposey were going to include a kzinti I. Season 5
I have a hard time believing that.
Old October 25 2013, 11:43 PM   #54
Christopher
Writer

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
SiddFinch1 wrote: View Post
I have a hard time believing that.
They were definitely considering it. Whether they could've worked out the permissions with Niven is uncertain, but it would've been in keeping with the show's growing use of CGI creatures like the Xindi Insectoids and Aquatics in season 3 and the Gorn and Tholian from "In a Mirror, Darkly."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote