Star Trek's Data: Are there any similar characters out there?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ReadyAndWilling, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

Hey guys, I made a thread earlier asking for science-fiction blended with horror movies, and while I certainly appreciate all the suggestions, none of the responses seem to be what I'm looking for.

I want a movie or TV show where there is a completely logical character like Data from TNG who is trying to solve something that appears to be the work of the supernatural or fantasy like vampires and demons. I love the episode 'Genesis' from season 7 of TNG where Data works to solve something that seems impossible and how he uses his logical way of thinking to solve the problem. Or, even the episode 'Time's Arrow' where Data is thrown into an unfamiliar era and how he needs to first analyze his predicament, then come up with a solution and then finally carry out that solution.

Also, in the movie 'Lost in Space' I love how the robot is exploring the spacecraft that's infested with those alien spiders and says "I'm detecting motion." Or, even something like the movie 'Prometheus' where the android David works to solve the problems they encounter. The episode 'Self-Made Man' from the Sarah Connor Chronicles was awesome, too. I really love how, like Data, the T-888 is sent back in time and he needs to try to logically come up with a solution to his difficult predicament. I find it great how he doesn't moan and complain and he accepts his situation and goes about solving it. I love the aspect of how he's a rugged individual.

I'd love to see something related to time travel like the two examples I just gave.

Are there any TV shows or movies that match this criteria?

Thank you!

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Have you watched the TV Series Andromeda? The ship is personified in a female character (The actress is sexy, and dressed in a tight outfit, but, it's not played for sexiness all that much). I personally enjoy the first 4 (of 5) seasons, others will say it went downhiill anywhere from S2 onwards. You might like Rommy's character quite well.

Can't really think of any movies offhand

3. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Data was inspired by Questor from The Questor Tapes, a Roddenberry pilot that did not go to series. It is on DVD.

As for Data like characters in horror situations, you've already seen Prometheus.

4. RPOW0614

RPOW0614 Commander Red Shirt

The Andromeda suggestion is a good one. But the quality of the show really dropped after season 2. Rommy is smart, sexy and tough.
    Might I suggest 2001: A Space Odyssey. HAL the computer is put in a tough situation and does the best he can with the orders he has been given.

5. Workbee

Workbee Commander Red Shirt

If you are open to other media (i.e. books), I recommend you check out Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov. Sort of a Sci-Fi Buddy-Cop Murder-Mystery story where one of the protagonists, Daneel Olivaw, android partner to Elijah Baley, working to solve a murder of an ambassador in New York. Olivaw possesses many traits similar to Data (as this character and body of work inspired much of the writing for Data).

6. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

ReadyAndWilling, you have been told multiple times to stop creating these types of threads and instead use a search engine. You now have an infraction for spamming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.