Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 25 2013, 10:22 AM   #16
Lance
Commodore

Re: Sleeping on the Enterprise

Of course, we did occasionally see people other than the regular cast actually sit in the captain's chair. Or we did at least once anyway, that being Lieutenant Desalle in "Catspaw". Maybe he was part of another shift? "Catspaw" being a Halloween episode, maybe it was even supposed to be taking place at night-time?

(Of course, DeSalle was the assistant chief engineer, so maybe he was just in the pecking order behind Kirk, Spock, Scotty and Sulu.)
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 10:33 AM   #17
Metryq
Captain

We know from Kirk's driving in "A Piece of the Action" that the Enterprise did not have a shift.
Old October 25 2013, 11:05 AM   #18
Mario de Monti
Captain

Old October 25 2013, 12:58 PM   #19
nureintier
Commander

Yeah, I found myself wondering that a lot. But I guess we're only watching when (1)the main cast is awake, and (2)when something interesting is going on. They must sleep sometimes.

I think it's just that, compared to other series, you don't see their quarters as much, and you don't see them resting much, so it kind of seems like they live on the bridge (or are on other planets, etc) all day and night.
We know from Kirk's driving in "A Piece of the Action" that the Enterprise did not have a shift.
Heh. This. I enjoyed that part.
nureintier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 02:36 PM   #20
J.T.B.
Commodore

It's just like cop shows or hospital shows: Interesting stuff only happens when the main characters are on duty. But there have to be others on different shifts, we just never see them.

In WNMHGB Mitchell is apparently off watch but comes to the bridge on his own when he hears an alert. He relieves someone from another watch at his station.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 02:39 PM   #21
nureintier
Commander

^That's true, but in something like,say , DS9, you saw the characters in their quarters a lot more often and it gave me a better feeling of how they actually lived in their time off. I mean, you see their quarters in TOS too, but rarely, and you don't really get a sense of their off-time.

But it's true that it's a TV show and we're only watching when there is action to be watched.
nureintier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 02:46 PM   #22
T'Boggan
Lieutenant Commander

You never see the night shift because they did all the naughty things the network couldnt show....
T'Boggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 05:02 PM   #23
AtoZ
Commander

Melakon wrote: View Post
If we assume that the 3 seasons are just the first 3 years of the 5 year mission, we can then assume that something interesting happened only 79 days (roughly) out of 1,095. Coincidentally, those 79 days were when we had the TV on.
Didn't The Paradise Syndrome occur over an approximate two month period?
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 05:26 PM   #24
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

AtoZ wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
If we assume that the 3 seasons are just the first 3 years of the 5 year mission, we can then assume that something interesting happened only 79 days (roughly) out of 1,095. Coincidentally, those 79 days were when we had the TV on.
Yep. And sometimes significant periods of time pass during commercial breaks and between log entries.

"Captain's log. After 72 hours at Warp Six, we have finally arrived at Gamma Beta Regula. We have not received any further distress signals from the colony for over sixteen hours . . . ."

I've always assumed Kirk tried to get some sleep in during the 84.321 hours the Enterprise is en route to their destination. But, yeah, nothing exciting ever seems to take place during the swing shift . . . .
Old October 25 2013, 05:37 PM   #25
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

AtoZ wrote: View Post
That's why I said "roughly". I knew that episode and others were longer, but didn't want to do the additional math calculations to get a more accurate number.
Old October 25 2013, 05:43 PM   #26
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Metryq wrote: View Post
This is why BBS posts need a "Like" button.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 05:43 PM   #27
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Didn't some of the 80's novels from Diane Duane and Ann Crispin introduce night-shift characters?
Old October 25 2013, 05:45 PM   #28
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Kirk mentions in "Conscience of the King" that they dim the lights on the Enterprise at night to simulate Earth conditions, but I'm not sure if we ever actually saw this done.
Old October 25 2013, 05:53 PM   #29
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Kirk mentions in "Conscience of the King" that they dim the lights on the Enterprise at night to simulate Earth conditions, but I'm not sure if we ever actually saw this done.
Dim as in what was done in TNG, with the obviousness of a sunset and sunrise in a few seconds on command? No, I don't recall that happening.

However, there were plenty of times when the lights seemed dim out in the corridors. Also, there were plenty of times when the lighting was under those wonky color filters, which often seemed low-intensity. But, because I'm not literal-minded (and because the camera went all fuzzy on the beautiful female guest stars), I can't tell if the lighting aboard the TOS Enterprise was supposed to be literally multicolored like that, or if it was all kind of poetic license for the purpose of composing interesting pictures on our TV's.
Old October 25 2013, 06:08 PM   #30
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
There probably is a watch officer that takes over when the regular command crew goes off-duty. He or she will not be qualified to really command the ship, but qualified enough to supervise its normal operation.
While he or she might not be "The Commanding Officer," when on duty as the watch officer they are in command of the ship.