Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old October 25 2013, 08:15 AM   #91
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: What happened with Kes and Neelix?

That would have been hilarious if the Enterprise bridge was seen through a cloud of smoke like the offices in Mad Men.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 08:28 AM   #92
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

ENT used smoke a lot. One of the bloopers (from THe Expanse I think) has Bakula hitting his mark and cracking up because the smoke is so thick he can barely see, adlibbing "That's right men, next year fire extinguishers for everybody."
Old November 5 2013, 03:04 AM   #93
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

This thread has degenerated rather quickly.

I happen to be a fan of both Neelix and Kes and enjoyed their relationship, which was actually handled rather well in spite of the discrepancies created by airing episodes like Elogium and Twisted completely out of order, and am also of the opinion that, although it would've been nice to have seen the 'closure' scene that was filmed for them in Fair Trade, Warlord works perfectly fine as the 'breaking point' for their relationship.
Old November 5 2013, 03:14 AM   #94
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Do we have the script for the closure scene?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 5 2013, 03:19 AM   #95
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I know it's available in print in the Star Trek Voyager Companion.
Old November 5 2013, 03:26 AM   #96
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Whoa, why have I not know this!

Someone post the good bits!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 6 2013, 04:19 PM   #97
dub
Fleet Captain

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Warlord works perfectly fine as the 'breaking point' for their relationship.
I totally disagree. In "Warlord" she was being controlled by an alien, so that doesn't count. Then based on dialogue in subsequent episodes we're supposed to believe they broke up for real but I guess we just didn't see it, or maybe what we saw was real. Sorry, that's not how I took it at all. Perhaps one could analyze it and show how it makes sense on paper, but that's no substitute for how it made me feel actually watching it unfold. It sucked. And where where was the big emotional breakdown from Neelix when Kes finally left for good in "The Gift?" Neelix was very selfish and child-like with his feelings and territorial over Kes, and to ignore all of that when Kes actually left was to ignore some potential growth for his character. There could have been some wonderfully emotional scenes with him there. In this case, they blew it.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 04:27 PM   #98
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Kes was under Tieran's influence, but, at the point she broke up with Neelix, she wasn't entirely being controlled by him, and the things she said while being influenced by him weren't just made up.

The Fair Trade 'closure scene' would've been a good coda to what happened in Warlord, but, from a writing standpoint, what happens in that episode (Warlord) is able to stand on its own and function as a decent 'breaking point' for their relationship.
Old November 6 2013, 04:46 PM   #99
dub
Fleet Captain

from a writing standpoint, what happens in that episode (Warlord) is able to stand on its own and function as a decent 'breaking point' for their relationship.
Oh, well when you put it that way...
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 05:13 PM   #100
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

FWIW, it didn't make any sense to me either. I figured Kes broke up with Neelix in "Warlord" to keep him out of the way for what was going to happen. Then the next episode happens and they're still broken-up. Major WTFage.

Kids, don't have your characters break up in the same episode where one of them is going to be possessed.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 05:17 PM   #101
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Was their break-up handled as smoothly as it could've been? No, it was not. Did/does it work for what it was? Yes.
Old November 6 2013, 08:16 PM   #102
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Kes: Neelix, are you dealing Drugs?

Neelix: Yes Sweeting, I'm sorry. I'm sorry.

Kes: Can I try some?

Neelix: No, of course not!

Kes: I will not be treated like a child! Give me some gear, or you're flicked!

Neelix got inbetween Kes and the monkey on her back, and THAT's why they broke up... Worst threesome ever?

Wait?

Isn't this the episode where Neelix says "I'm an ignorant useless son of a bitch and no one needs me, I might as well space myself for all the worth I am to this crew... No body loves me, I suck."

So the original plan, was that Neelix works super hard to make sure that Janeway doesn't maroon him on a passing moon only for Kes to exile him to the no sex club.

That's a way better ending to that episode.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 02:24 AM   #103
mickmike
Lieutenant Commander

Count me in as a person who likes Neelix. I felt that he actually started growing as a character once Kes broke up with him. I think their relationship brought out the worst in him in that he was possessive, jealous and some what controlling. I think Neelix had massive abandonment issues stemming from losing his entire family and this came out in shitty ways in his relationship with Kes.

Sure Neelix could be annoying with his overt cheerfulness but i think behind all that was a guy who doubted his worth and was broken emotionally. I'm glad that was explored during the annual serious neelix episodes.
mickmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 02:27 AM   #104
R. Star
Rear Admiral

dub wrote: View Post
Warlord works perfectly fine as the 'breaking point' for their relationship.
I totally disagree. In "Warlord" she was being controlled by an alien, so that doesn't count. Then based on dialogue in subsequent episodes we're supposed to believe they broke up for real but I guess we just didn't see it, or maybe what we saw was real. Sorry, that's not how I took it at all. Perhaps one could analyze it and show how it makes sense on paper, but that's no substitute for how it made me feel actually watching it unfold. It sucked. And where where was the big emotional breakdown from Neelix when Kes finally left for good in "The Gift?" Neelix was very selfish and child-like with his feelings and territorial over Kes, and to ignore all of that when Kes actually left was to ignore some potential growth for his character. There could have been some wonderfully emotional scenes with him there. In this case, they blew it.
Kes specifically stated that Ocampa mate for life. I like that a third party terminated the relationship, something she never would have done herself... but after the fact Kes did realize that was for the best and there was so much more for her out there, when it came time to reconcile or not. I do think that should've gotten a scene at some point however.
Old November 7 2013, 09:54 AM   #105
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Of course they mate for life, they don't even make it to the seven year itch before they drop dead.

Interesting point though.. Kes is totally outside of her social norm and she has no role models to follow for such.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne