The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 25 2013, 03:33 AM   #16
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Re: A more realistic approach to landing parties

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
They're landing parties damn it!

I was trying to bridge the generational divide.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 08:04 AM   #17
Mario de Monti
Captain

Re: A more realistic approach to away teams

BillJ wrote: View Post
Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
Unspeakable wrote: View Post
^ Which is what happen in Descent, the Captain left the ship's doctor in command, along with the third string support crew.

When attacked by the Borg they did just fine.

^(oo)^
We have Crusher to thank for that. Without her, I think we know what would have happened.
Picard should've been busted down to Ten-Forward dishwasher for leaving a capital ship in the command of the Chief Medical Officer during what could be a crisis situation. Either Picard should have stayed aboard or left Riker in command.
Oh, absolutely. On a ship with such a large crew there just has to be someone better qualified to take care of the ship than the doctor! I mean, there must be some sort of watch officers aboard, that take over when the main bridge crew goes off duty. They don´t work 24h shifts, do they?

Mario
Old October 25 2013, 03:32 PM   #18
grendelsbayne
Commander

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
Romulan_spy wrote: View Post

We have Crusher to thank for that. Without her, I think we know what would have happened.
Picard should've been busted down to Ten-Forward dishwasher for leaving a capital ship in the command of the Chief Medical Officer during what could be a crisis situation. Either Picard should have stayed aboard or left Riker in command.
Oh, absolutely. On a ship with such a large crew there just has to be someone better qualified to take care of the ship than the doctor! I mean, there must be some sort of watch officers aboard, that take over when the main bridge crew goes off duty. They don´t work 24h shifts, do they?

Mario
I don't remember what episode(s) it was - TNG isn't my strong suit - but I remember it being shown at some point that Data was typically left in charge of the bridge on the third shift. (I guess because he didn't need sleep anyway, it wasn't a problem for him to do two shifts a day.) Of course, Data wasn't on the ship at this point, either.
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 06:40 AM   #19
MikeS
Fleet Captain

^You're thinking of Data's Day.
Old October 26 2013, 09:47 AM   #20
Mario de Monti
Captain

"Data´s Day" came to my mind, too. But that was really the only time we saw Data do the "night shift". On the other hand we saw him off-duty quite frequently, which wouldn´t work if he had to be on duty 24/7.

Mario
Old October 26 2013, 10:05 AM   #21
MikeS
Fleet Captain

^ The Enterprise-D worked a three-shift system. He could have worked when our heroes did, played when our heroes did, and worked again whilst our heroes slept.
Old October 26 2013, 11:39 AM   #22
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

What's realistic isn't necessarily what makes for good television. I agree they probably should have had characters who specialized in away team missions that didn't necessarily consist of the bridge crew.

But I disagree that it's a huge risk to take your bridge crew off the ship. Besides the fact that given dramatic license they don't expect that something will always go wrong within ten minutes of arriving anywhere, just because somebody doesn't have three pips on their collar does not mean they are not qualified to run the bridge. There are plenty of very competent lieutenants on the ship.

It's usually referenced that they do full scans of the surface before landing anywhere, but they're on an exploration mission, not a survey mission. They want to experience what's on the planet, not just note it down in a journal.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 12:26 PM   #23
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

^^^
Agreed on all points. IMO, the fact that the bridge crew can leave the ship indicates that there are other officers that are qualified to run it in their absence (even if we don't see them very often).

Trek has always focused since day one on the senior officers of the ship. The only way that will change is if a future Trek series decides to do otherwise.
Old October 26 2013, 02:23 PM   #24
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Sending hundreds of your crew down to potentially a planet of Borg doesn't seem a wise course of action either.
Old October 26 2013, 08:00 PM   #25
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

"Captain's Log, stardate 41325.4. Despite the massive and obvious stupidity of it, the writers are insisting that I..."
Old October 26 2013, 08:18 PM   #26
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

David Gerrold entertained the idea of away teams as early as 1973, in his book The World of Star Trek. He proposed the first officer lead the team, with the captain staying on the bridge. Apparently he was able to push some of these ideas during TNG's first season. But as others have said, realism doesn't always equal effective drama. Your top-billed actor as captain is eventually going to grow tired of missing out on all the action scenes.
Old October 26 2013, 08:56 PM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
David Gerrold entertained the idea of away teams as early as 1973, in his book The World of Star Trek. He proposed the first officer lead the team, with the captain staying on the bridge. Apparently he was able to push some of these ideas during TNG's first season. But as others have said, realism doesn't always equal effective drama. Your top-billed actor as captain is eventually going to grow tired of missing out on all the action scenes.
Gerrold, D.C. Fontana and Bob Justman all should have gotten co-creator credit on TNG. But the matter was settled privately.
Old October 27 2013, 06:28 AM   #28
sojourner
Admiral

I think the away teams should have alternate uniforms to wear just like they do here on Earth.
Old October 27 2013, 07:25 AM   #29
Mario de Monti
Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
I think the away teams should have alternate uniforms to wear just like they do here on Earth.
I agree. In TMP and TWOK they wore these "field jackets" over their basic uniform shirts. I liked that, it added an extra touch of realism.
Old October 27 2013, 02:19 PM   #30
Mutoid
Fleet Captain

View Mutoid's Twitter Profile

If you look on the Starship team as being explorers and First Contact guys then would you send your second string team down to the planet and say to the natives "Our Captain and XO and second officer are all on board ship because you might kill them. We're here to determine whether you are friendly or not as we're not all that important to the ship"?

Captain Cook and Horatio Hornblower and Neil Armstrong discovered places. They didn't stay behind where it was safe. You know Buzz Aldrin would have loved to have been the first to land on the moon despite the dangers.
Mutoid is online now   Reply With Quote