Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 25 2013, 05:36 AM   #1
SignGuyHPW
Lieutenant

Most interesting casting choice

Which guest star casting choice did you think was the most interesting? A role where you thought that the actor didn't seem to fit the character.
SignGuyHPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 05:45 AM   #2
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Most interesting casting choice

So are you asking for one name, or two? Because "most interesting" isn't the same thing as "doesn't fit" by my standards.
Old October 25 2013, 06:18 AM   #3
SignGuyHPW
Lieutenant

I'm going for when you saw "Actor A" appear as "Character B" you thought "that's very interesting, I'd never have cast it that way."
SignGuyHPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 06:44 AM   #4
Melakon
Vice Admiral

In Miri, Michael J. Pollard was not convincing to me as a boy who hadn't hit puberty (he was 27 at the time). But Pollard was becoming well known back then, having had a brief recurring role on Dobie Gillis, and had been in the Broadway cast of Bye Bye Birdie. In 1967, he was C.W. Moss in the film Bonnie and Clyde.
Old October 25 2013, 07:49 AM   #5
Corylea
Lieutenant

I thought Charles Macauley was a strange choice for Jaris in "The Wolf in the Fold." He was excellent at being a stern, commanding leader of Argelius, but the Argelians were said to be so gentle and harmless that they contracted out most of their administration, because their own people were so meek and mild. Macauley wasn't meek and mild and sheeplike, making him a strange choice for a people who were described that way.

And because I want to say something positive, even though I know the question asks for something negative, I'll note that I thought Joanne Linville was really excellent as the Romulan Commander in "The Enterprise Incident."
Corylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Melakon
Vice Admiral

^Macauley also played Landru in "Return of the Archons".
Old October 25 2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Mario de Monti
Captain

Corylea wrote: View Post
I thought Charles Macauley was a strange choice for Jaris in "The Wolf in the Fold." He was excellent at being a stern, commanding leader of Argelius, but the Argelians were said to be so gentle and harmless that they contracted out most of their administration, because their own people were so meek and mild. Macauley wasn't meek and mild and sheeplike, making him a strange choice for a people who were described that way.
But then again, that "gentle and harmless" Argelian people still abides by the ancient law of "death by slow torture"! You have to have someone among those sheep to carry out that sentence.

Mario
Old October 25 2013, 06:20 PM   #8
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Gary Lockwood, a big part of playing the character was being able to wear the silver contact lenses. Once it was discovered that he had trouble with them (Sally Kellerman didn't) it's kind of strange they didn't recast the role.

With the lenses in, he had to tilt his head back to see at all, it made him look like someone with bifocals.

Goofy.

^(oo)^
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 06:41 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

The problem for me is, I've been a Trek fan since I was five years old, so Trek was the first place I ever saw most of its actors. So my image of those actors is defined by their Trek characters, and thus it's hard for me to be surprised by any of their casting.

But in retrospect, looking back on the characters after having seen them in other works: I've often found it amusing to see Charles Napier as the quintessential space hippie Adam in "The Way to Eden," since he went on to make a career playing stern, tough authority figures, basically becoming the quintessential "Herbert."

And maybe Michael Strong as Roger Korby was an odd choice, since he usually seemed to play heavies in '60s shows, and maybe that gave away the game too soon.

The most bizarre casting choice has got to be celebrity lawyer Melvin Belli as Gorgon, but I'm not sure I'd call that an interesting choice, just a painfully bad one.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 12:03 AM   #10
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
The problem for me is, I've been a Trek fan since I was five years old, so Trek was the first place I ever saw most of its actors. So my image of those actors is defined by their Trek characters, and thus it's hard for me to be surprised by any of their casting. . .
I'm sort of in the same predicament with the question. I was 15 when TOS first aired, and Trek was one of the shows airing when I had only just started to pay attention to actors' names. I'd seen Shatner several times before in Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, and even Man from UNCLE, but he didn't register with me as anyone notable until Star Trek. Skip Homeier however, I first noticed on the Outer Limits because I liked the scary makeup.

. . .I've often found it amusing to see Charles Napier as the quintessential space hippie Adam in "The Way to Eden," since he went on to make a career playing stern, tough authority figures, basically becoming the quintessential "Herbert."
I just looked at Napier's IMDB page. Star Trek is only his fifth film/tv role, his first appearance anywhere was a year earlier in 1968 as an uncredited Police Officer on Mannix.
Old October 26 2013, 01:37 AM   #11
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
Gary Lockwood, a big part of playing the character was being able to wear the silver contact lenses. Once it was discovered that he had trouble with them (Sally Kellerman didn't) it's kind of strange they didn't recast the role.

With the lenses in, he had to tilt his head back to see at all, it made him look like someone with bifocals.

Goofy.

^(oo)^
I thought it gave him an appropriately arrogant air.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 02:45 AM   #12
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I admit that as a kid I was a bit taken aback to see the Riddler playing an alien racist!
Old October 26 2013, 02:51 AM   #13
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I kept waiting for Bele to stagger around in maniacal laughter.
Old October 26 2013, 04:02 AM   #14
Corylea
Lieutenant

Unspeakable wrote: View Post

According to These Are the Voyages (p. 89),this often-repeated story isn't true. It IS true that the lenses hurt Lockwood, but it isn't true that he had to tilt his head back to see though them.

Lockwood is quoted in the book as saying that he tilted his head back because he thought that gave him an appropriately arrogant air, since he was supposed to be playing a would-be god. The head-tilt was an intentional acting decision, not a side effect of the lenses.

Last edited by Corylea; October 26 2013 at 04:26 AM.
Corylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 04:08 AM   #15
Christopher
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I admit that as a kid I was a bit taken aback to see the Riddler playing an alien racist!
Melakon wrote: View Post
Yeah, I kept waiting for Bele to stagger around in maniacal laughter.
But Bele and the Riddler did have a similar fashion sense.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote