TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old October 25 2013, 05:50 AM   #1
SignGuyHPW
Lieutenant

Was DS9 safe?

It always struck me as odd that DS9 was essentially a military instillation in a turbulent part of space yet they had a huge civillian population. Restaraunts, shops, families, etc were all over the station yet they were in the middle of a war zone where the station was in constant threat of being attacked. Did it really make sense that so many people would choose to live on the station?
SignGuyHPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 06:25 AM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Was DS9 safe?

You'll note during the run of the show, often the civilians did up and leave when things got tense. All things considered though it got attacked a lot less than say.. the Enterprise full of it's families.
Old October 25 2013, 06:35 AM   #3
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

But what was the appeal of living there for shopkeepers and families?

Was Bajor such a depressed economy post war that it made sense?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 06:42 AM   #4
SignGuyHPW
Lieutenant

The Enterprise was supposed to be on peaceful exploratory missions, but I often thought that having families on board was a mixed bag there too. The difference is that DS9 was in the middle barely out of Cardassian control, next to this wormhole that they didn't know much about, and things got even more dangerous as time went by. If I was a Vulcan I don't think my logic would dictate going there to start a restaraunt for a station full of such diverse races.
SignGuyHPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 07:24 AM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Every vessel coming and going to the Gamma Quadrant stopped there, likewise once the war started, it was a prime staging area with lots of traffic. So yeah having a business there would make sense, there is volume.

I'd rather be on DS9 and get attacked once a year at worst than be on the Enterprise flying into every random anomaly or getting attacked by a hostile alien species every week.
Old October 25 2013, 07:33 AM   #6
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

^ I think Voyager ran into more anomalies put together than any of the Enterprise's did. DS9 is located in a hazardous area of space for sure. But hey it's the frontier. It's not supposed to civilized.
Old October 25 2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Seventh White Boomer
Rear Admiral

Most of the residents were Bajoran so I don't see why it would be so surprising. Next to all of them would have lived during the occupation, so the danger of DS9 probably pales compared to that. The next biggest group would probably be Starfleet families and they might have a better understanding and acceptance of the risks.

Then there's Quark. Sisko flagged him as the lynch pin. His staying signalled that there was a commercial future on the station, it encouraged others to stay making it more palpable for civilians to want to live on the station.

As for the Vulcan restaurant, Vulcans were probably the most mentioned group in terms of exploring the GQ, so there might have been a healthy flow of Vulcans through the station. Diversity also would be a factor, if there are enough people wanting to eat Klingon cuisine, whick seems to be meat or alive dishes, there probably are people who would favour vegetarian Vulcan cuisine.
Seventh White Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

SignGuyHPW wrote: View Post
IDS9 was essentially a military instillation
Not really, it was more like one of the old walled citys, Starfleet ran the place and maintained basically a starbase inside a portion of the city. But the entirety of DS9 wasn't a military installation.
Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 12:36 PM   #9
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

DS9 wasn't in a war zone for a the first five years of Starfleet's administration of the starbase.

That's five years of civilians comin' to the station, settin' up a place to live & work and make the place a home, which is what Sisko wanted when he convinced Quark to stay in 'Emissary'.
Old October 25 2013, 12:42 PM   #10
nureintier
Commander

teacock wrote: View Post
But what was the appeal of living there for shopkeepers and families?

Was Bajor such a depressed economy post war that it made sense?
Dunno about the families, but I imagine for the shopkeepers, they might have more traffic and more diverse traffic) going through there than down on the planet.
nureintier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 01:26 PM   #11
Bumbles861
Admiral

SignGuyHPW wrote: View Post
It always struck me as odd that DS9 was essentially a military instillation in a turbulent part of space yet they had a huge civillian population. Restaraunts, shops, families, etc were all over the station yet they were in the middle of a war zone where the station was in constant threat of being attacked. Did it really make sense that so many people would choose to live on the station?
Absolutely. The best example I can give you today is Kandahar airfield, Afghanistan. A sprawling complex of thousands of mutinationals, although there are no families, there are still thousands of civilians who work and live there. There are restaurants and shops galore. Basically, a Deep Space 9 on the ground. The airfield is not only under threat. but is constantly fired upon. Teams of people go forth from 'the station' to carry out missions. Deep Space 9 is a great parallel to this. Not necessarily safe, as per the thread title, but very real.
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 02:23 PM   #12
dub
Fleet Captain

Bajorans wanted to be closer to the prophets.
Ferengi wanted to be closer to the profits.
Starfleet families moved there with the officer in the family. But as others mentioned, families were evacuated when things became especially dangerous.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 02:31 PM   #13
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Considering historically people always found it safer to live near Roman garrisons, castles, and US cavalry forts, I don't think that the presence of the military on DS9 should have been a deterrent to Bajorans to reside there. Unfortunately, we only get peripheral glances at Bajorans living on the station. Only Leeta gets close look.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 10:04 PM   #14
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

DS9 wasn't just a military installation, it was also a trading post and (Considering it's at the only entry point to the GQ) a major port city. That made it a huge center of commerce.

Most of the families there were families of officers stationed there or people running businesses there.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 12:12 AM   #15
arch101
Fleet Captain

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. The best example I can give you today is Kandahar airfield, Afghanistan. A sprawling complex of thousands of mutinationals, although there are no families, there are still thousands of civilians who work and live there. There are restaurants and shops galore. Basically, a Deep Space 9 on the ground. The airfield is not only under threat. but is constantly fired upon. Teams of people go forth from 'the station' to carry out missions. Deep Space 9 is a great parallel to this. Not necessarily safe, as per the thread title, but very real.[/QUOTE]

That is a FANTASTIC analogy! Thanks for that and for your service.