Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 21 2013, 11:48 PM   #631
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, sure, but that's because you've actually read the stories and know the facts. I'm talking about the people out there who misrepresent or misunderstand the facts. I've heard rhetoric from some people who exaggerate Batman's early gun use as if to imply that it was routine and normative for a long time, and that his revision into a nonlethal, gun-free vigilante was something that happened after decades rather than just ten months. Maybe that's not intentional misrepresentation; maybe they're just confused and conflating this change in Batman's character with ones that came later, say, when the Comics Code was instituted. But there are still a lot of people out there who haven't read the original comics as you have, and who have a lot of misconceptions about the extent and prominence of Batman's early gun use.
I think the hyperbole about Batman's gun use may stem in large part from Wizard magazine articles nearly two decades ago. One of that magazine's recurring features was to examine "unknown" comic history and lore and then make snarky comments to amuse its readers. In particular, I remember them focusing on Superman spanking Lois, the Batman/Robin sexual subtext, and Batman's gun.

They would pull a comic panel straight out of a book (often with no context given) and rip it apart in the caption, e.g. "Batman Was Once Dirty Harry!" with a splash panel of Bats holding a pistol in both hands. I remember, after reading one such feature, inferring that Batman ALWAYS had a gun holstered in his utility belt in the golden age of comics.

For these pieces, I think that Wizard was more focused on punch lines than accuracy and led to many erroneous assumptions by their readers that may still echo today.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 06:14 PM   #632
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Official statement
Currently, Beware the Batman is no longer on our air. DC Nation will continue on Saturday mornings at 10/9c with new exclusive shorts and a full hour of encore episodes of Teen Titans Go!
There's probably no hope of even airing the remaining episodes either.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 06:47 PM   #633
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Official statement
Currently, Beware the Batman is no longer on our air. DC Nation will continue on Saturday mornings at 10/9c with new exclusive shorts and a full hour of encore episodes of Teen Titans Go!
There's probably no hope of even airing the remaining episodes either.
don't really see the point in not showing any remaining episodes unless it's case of no play, no pay i.e if the eps don't get broadcast, they don't have to be paid for (in which case the production company has to eat the costs).

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 07:36 PM   #634
Christopher
Writer

I wish WB Animation could find a more congenial home for original, older-skewing DC-based TV series than Cartoon Network. Maybe The CW? They currently have a Saturday morning lineup that includes reruns of Justice League Unlimited (preceded by The Spectacular Spider-Man). Though airing reruns has got to be cheaper than backing production of a new series.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 08:02 PM   #635
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

The CW censors the heck out of Justice League Unlimited.

Maybe The Hub?
Old October 24 2013, 08:05 PM   #636
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

After Green Lantern, Young Justice and now Beware the Batman I'm not even going to bother with another Cartoon Network DC Comics based series until it gets a second season. I just don't want to go through this all over again.
Old October 24 2013, 08:25 PM   #637
Christopher
Writer

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
After Green Lantern, Young Justice and now Beware the Batman I'm not even going to bother with another Cartoon Network DC Comics based series until it gets a second season. I just don't want to go through this all over again.
Except those first two were put on unannounced hiatus about 2-3 weeks into their second seasons. So even that isn't safe.

Old October 24 2013, 09:04 PM   #638
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
The CW censors the heck out of Justice League Unlimited.

Maybe The Hub?
Are they censoring it per se, or are they cutting it down to make room for more commercials?
Old October 24 2013, 09:09 PM   #639
Christopher
Writer

I wouldn't be surprised if they're censoring it, since JLU was made for a prime-time slot and had more violence, death, and sexual innuendo than would generally be allowed in a Saturday morning time slot.

Old October 24 2013, 10:08 PM   #640
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Here's a CW clip with some of the edits

Old October 24 2013, 10:18 PM   #641
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I can't tell what's been edited out. I didn't watch this show first run, so I'm not familiar with how it looked originally.
Old October 24 2013, 10:31 PM   #642
Christopher
Writer

Closed Caption wrote: View Post
I can't tell what's been edited out. I didn't watch this show first run, so I'm not familiar with how it looked originally.
Well, for one thing, those were clearly meant to be normal guns firing bullets, but they were redubbed to sound like lasers. And judging from the video heading, they probably edited out a shot of Green Arrow's boxing-glove arrow striking the bad guy.

Old October 25 2013, 02:21 AM   #643
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, for one thing, those were clearly meant to be normal guns firing bullets, but they were redubbed to sound like lasers.
Yeah, that was fairly clear, but, with no side-by-side footage for comparison, like I said, I have no way of knowing whether the original was also that way.
Old October 25 2013, 04:07 AM   #644
Christopher
Writer

Closed Caption wrote: View Post
Yeah, that was fairly clear, but, with no side-by-side footage for comparison, like I said, I have no way of knowing whether the original was also that way.
I just watched the original scene care of Netflix streaming, and it's exactly as I said. The animation was the same, but the sound effects were those of machine guns rather than pew-pew cartoon lasers. And there was a shot of the boxing-glove arrow hitting one of the robbers in the face.

Also, several lines of dialogue were cut. When the clerk hits the alarm button and the head gunman is about to shoot at him, one of his men says that won't do them any good, but he says it'll make him feel better. Then they whirl as Green Arrow says something pithy in response to that (I don't remember what) and we get our first look at him.

Old October 25 2013, 04:25 AM   #645
JD
Admiral

I'm really disappointed to hear about this. I'm only on episode 9, and I was enjoying it. I thought it started out OK, but it was getting better with each episode and I was looking forward to seeing where they were going with it.