Did the Xindi all evolve on 1 planet?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by The Johnson, Oct 22, 2013.

1. The Johnson

The Johnson Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

How did this happen if so?

I thought the 'rule' was that only 1 species could evolve per planet.

If this is commonly asked i apologise and you can delete this and point me in the direction of another thread.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes they did. This was pointed out a few episodes into the Xindi arc when they found the debris field.

As for the "rule" there really wasn't one. Precedent maybe, but that's different. Heck Earth had two sentient species, so did Andoria and that's without even thinking hard.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I just watched the 3rd season opener "The Xindi". Archer obtains a body part from a Xindi-primate which Phlox compares against the corpse found in season 2's "The Expanse". He notes that DNA between the two specimens is nearly identical, even though the corpse was Xindi-reptilian, and agrees with Archer's suggestion comparing the difference as similar to that between modern humans and Neanderthals.

4. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Happened in Dear Doctor, too (Valakians and Menk).

5. The Johnson

The Johnson Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

That episode is the one where they claim each planet can only have 1 sentient species.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure what "that episode" is. Phlox just spouts out some Darwinist crap about one species suppressing the other as a justification for not helping them.

7. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

It's not even Darwinist, it's just pseudoscientific nonsense.

8. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I don't see how soecies as different as the reptilians, aquatics and humanoids and insectoids could be as closely related as Phlox says. I don't have a problem with a planet producing several species of intelligent life, but to claim that an insect, reptile and mammal could be as closely related as humans and neanderthals is just ridiculous.

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

IIRC, they say that most planets whose inhabitants get to the warp stage of civilization only have one fully sentient species, and for the same reason we Terrans no longer have neanderthals: different tribes tend not to mix too nicely in the prehistoric stage.

10. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Indeed, given that Humans have only had practical intercontinental travel for a few hundred years, I think it is entirely plausible that different kinds of intelligent species could have evolved on the same planet. It would, of course, depend a great deal on the planet's geographic distribution, but if there are large continents that have not been connected for a long time, then one continent could have been home to the insectiods, another to the arborials, etc

11. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

It's definitively non Darwinist. (And actually, "Darwinist" doesn't mean anything. It's just a buzzword used by those who oppose evolutionary science.)

12. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I admit finding it hard that many different kinds of civilizable life would evolve on a single planet; it seems improbable. But, anyone paying attention to biology the past two decades and the discovery of how bizarre extremophiles can get should be a little humble about proclaiming things impossible, and it is, after all, a huge universe out there.

(And the Star Trek universe is also one with abundant meddlesome entities of incredible power and unclear agendas, just in case something can't possibly happen on its own, and I would try not to be dogmatic in declaring this can't possibly happen on its own.)

13. Harbinger

Harbinger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Three intelligent species evolved on Earth in the ST universe: Humans, Dinosaurs (Voth) and the Whales (who were in communication with that mysterious race/vessel in STIV: The Voyage Home). So, technically we are also a planet with a highly intelligent Primate, Reptilian and Aquatic species. Only difference is humans and Voth didn't evolve at the same time and I guess with the whales, we just never knew how smart they were....

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Spock was able to mind meld with a whale, she expressed awareness of the treatment of her species. This showed intelligence.

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Unfortunately, the whale then mentioned that she was an ABBA fan, and Spock therefore wrote her and her kind off. :p

16. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Her favorite song, of course, was Waterloo.

17. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I always expected the Xindi bird people to be found somewhere.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup. In space's crazy neighborhood, the Delphic Expanse. They're lucky they weren't all suddenly and randomly turned inside-out, or have their gravity invert, sending them into space to die an icy cold death.

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Very minor genetic differences can create major physical differences.

It's not too surprising for multiple sentient species to evolve on the same planet. I don't buy the nihilistic 'They will necessarily destroy each other' argument. The most likely scenario where multiple sentient species evolve on the same planet is, right when they start to become sentient they become physically separated, then when they find each other again there aren't any major technological differences so one is not capable of just dominating the other and they are forced to get along.

In the Xindi case, this seems likely, because all five of them occupy different environmental niches where they do not compete for the same resources.

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

They all died. The Yeti, sorry, Primate Xindi Archer befriends mentions that when their world died, the Avions couldn't adapt or flee.

They were the only ones who didn't achieve either full sentience or just technology, the various tribes left in segregated groups, none bothering to help the avions.