Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 24 2013, 10:25 PM   #16
Aldo
Admiral

Re: NBC rebooting Murder, She Wrote...'cause Ironside worked so well..

Kirby wrote: View Post
I'm afraid they're going to go too edgy with Murder, She Wrote by making her a lesbian pop singer or something who writes books and solves crimes.
I'd watch that every week.
Old October 24 2013, 10:27 PM   #17
Christopher
Writer

I'm afraid they're going to go too edgy with Murder, She Wrote by making her a lesbian pop singer or something who writes books and solves crimes.
They're making her an African-American "hospital administrator and amateur sleuth... who self-publishes her first mystery novel." I guess the self-publishing thing is trying to be trendy.

foxhot wrote: View Post
The premise for MURDER SHE WROTE stretches credibility to the breaking point, at least for the original series. 22 times each year for 12 years the same woman just happens to be in the vicinity of one murder virtually seven days. I long ago came to the conclusion that the 264 ''murderers'' were framed and Jessica Fletcher was guilty as hell.
Yep, that's a popular theory, Jessica Fletcher as the world's most brilliant serial killer. Although it still doesn't explain why anyone was still willing to invite her anywhere after a while...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 10:41 PM   #18
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
The premise for MURDER SHE WROTE stretches credibility to the breaking point, at least for the original series. 22 times each year for 12 years the same woman just happens to be in the vicinity of one murder virtually seven days. I long ago came to the conclusion that the 264 ''murderers'' were framed and Jessica Fletcher was guilty as hell.
Yep, that's a popular theory, Jessica Fletcher as the world's most brilliant serial killer. Although it still doesn't explain why anyone was still willing to invite her anywhere after a while...
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 10:42 PM   #19
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Sort of sounds like a potential disaster along the lines of Mrs. Columbo, which was reworked into Kate Columbo, which was reworked into Kate the Detective, which was reworked into Kate Loves a Mystery, just packaged under a different name and premise.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 11:14 PM   #20
Data Holmes
Admiral

Sheep wrote: View Post
You just ruined the huge plot twist NBC had planned to end the rebooted series!
That'd be an interesting reboot...

Or they could just make a tv show adaptation of Fatal Attraction.
Old October 25 2013, 12:06 AM   #21
Christopher
Writer

Melakon wrote: View Post
Sort of sounds like a potential disaster....
Any unrealized premise is a potential disaster, or a potential success. It's all in the execution.

After all, it wasn't the concept of Murder, She Wrote that made it succeed. The concept, as many have noted, was ridiculous. What made it work was Angela Lansbury's talent and charisma, and the legion of name guest stars she was surrounded with, and the cleverness of the writing and the mysteries. So if this version has a strong lead, clever writing, and good guests, it could work too. Or it could turn out to be a mess. That's the gamble with any series, remake or not.

Old October 25 2013, 12:14 AM   #22
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

I long ago came to the conclusion that the 264 ''murderers'' were framed and Jessica Fletcher was guilty as hell.
If they used this premise for the reboot, I definitely would watch it.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 12:52 AM   #23
MacLeod
Admiral

They're making her an African-American "hospital administrator and amateur sleuth... who self-publishes her first mystery novel." I guess the self-publishing thing is trying to be trendy.

Or why Cabot Cove was still populated. Seriously given the murder rate there is a wonder anyone stayed and didn't move somewhere safer.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 01:51 AM   #24
scotpens
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Or why Cabot Cove was still populated. Seriously given the murder rate there is a wonder anyone stayed and didn't move somewhere safer.
Considering that Cabot Cove was supposed to be a small fishing village in Maine, it's a wonder anyone was still alive!
Old October 25 2013, 09:05 AM   #25
Zaku
Commander

Hollywood Werewolf wrote: View Post
Considering that Cabot Cove was supposed to be a small fishing village in Maine, it's a wonder anyone was still alive!
It's been calculated that Cabot Cove has a murder rate of 86 per 1000; by comparison, the most murderous city in the world, Caracas, has a murder rate of 1.1 per 1000.
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 10:15 AM   #26
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

[...] What made it work was Angela Lansbury's talent and charisma [...]
Bingo. Even though the show required Angela Lansbury to utilise perhaps 2% (at most) of her extraordinary talent, it was that talent that made the show work. It's somewhat depressing that M,SW is what most people will remember Ms Lansbury for.

To each their own and all, but I won't be watching any remake, regardless of who's involved.
Old October 28 2013, 10:09 PM   #27
foxhot
Fleet Captain

The question is, why didn't the NAACP Image Awards ever nominate Angela Lansbury for her role? Given that Octavia Spencer has a probable lock on said nomination, playing the same character....
Old October 28 2013, 10:26 PM   #28
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

What made it work was Angela Lansbury's talent and charisma, and the legion of name guest stars she was surrounded with, and the cleverness of the writing and the mysteries.
Was it clever? Whenever I watched it, Jessica solved the case by pulling heretofore-unknown facts out of thin air and fingering a suspect who hadn't been discussed before. I figured out pretty fast that you can generally tell "whodunit" by observing which character figures into the story the least.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 11:48 PM   #29
Christopher
Writer

^Some seasons of M,SW were clever, others not so much. As with any long-running show, it was variable. But at its best it was a pretty solid mystery show. Remember, it was co-created by Richard Levinson and William Link, who also gave us Columbo. (Hey, I just learned on Wikipedia that it was based on their failed Ellery Queen series -- they just took the idea of a mystery writer-cum-amateur detective and gender-swapped it.)

Old October 29 2013, 12:43 AM   #30
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

At least with Ellery Queen you had a chance to decipher the clues! (Not that I ever succeeded, of course.)
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote