Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old October 16 2013, 04:52 AM   #16
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile
Re: It's that time again: Smartphone upgrade!

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
I loves me my iPhone 5s. I'm glad I got it instead of the c. I'm waiting for more apps to use that fingerprint sensor!
A 5c is nothing more then a 5 with color..
Old October 16 2013, 06:44 AM   #17
Tiberius
Commodore

Into Darkness wrote: View Post
One thing I will say for Samsungs flagship phones is you can never go wrong. Amazing phones.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 07:43 PM   #18
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post
As far as I am aware, rooting does not require you to replace to OS. Rooting is merely a way to let you change settings that you aren't normally allowed to change.

And no, Nova launcher doesn't allow you to uninstall the apps that you would normally be prevented from uninstalling. it's just an app that lets you change the appearance of the homescreens and the app dock.

I've been using the Next Launcher...really impressive.
Old October 31 2013, 12:23 AM   #19
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

I loves me my iPhone 5s. I'm glad I got it instead of the c. I'm waiting for more apps to use that fingerprint sensor!
Other than the fingerprint sensor, what makes the 5s worth all the extra money?

I've read that the camera is better than on the 5c. Does anyone know if the difference is actually noticeable? I'm pretty picky about the quality of photographs, and if possibly I'd like the phone to be my primary or only camera when I travel.

I was going to buy the s, but the c is on sale for $50 at Target this week, and it's awfully tempting. This will be my first iPhone.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 02:45 AM   #20
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

The 5c & 5s both have 8 Mpx cameras. The Galaxy S4 has a 13 Mpx camera, which is 3 more than the Canon SLR I bought several years ago. This is great. I mean, I can't carry a regular camera everywhere I go, but my phone is always on me.

The Galaxy has a bigger screen, 16 MB of built in memory plus a micro SD slot for more RAM (up to 64MB more), a removable battery (important to me anyway).

The Iphone 5s starts at 16MB of RAM (non-expandable) and the price jumps $100 for 32MB and another $100 for 64MB.

The one positive I've heard about the 5s is that the CPU is better.

I finally rooted my Galaxy S4, and have managed to get some of the functions under control. Next, getting some of the bloatware under control as well.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 03:49 AM   #21
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Thanks. But there's way more to the quality of a camera than just the number of Mpx. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for, except that it's comparing the 5s to the 5, not 5c. For some reason, it hadn't shown up on my search before I posted.

Last edited by Tora Ziyal; October 31 2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old October 31 2013, 08:13 AM   #22
Tiberius
Commodore

Anyone who buys a smartphone because they like the camera is a fool. Buy it because you are able to use it well for what you want. Go for the one that has the operating system that you like and that gives you the flexibility you want.
Old October 31 2013, 02:48 PM   #23
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Anyone who buys a smartphone because they like the camera is a fool. Buy it because you are able to use it well for what you want. Go for the one that has the operating system that you like and that gives you the flexibility you want.
So... don't buy it because I like the camera... but buy it because I can use it well for what I want... Well, part of what I want is to be able to take good pictures with it. I've already picked the iPhone 5something based on its os and other characteristics. All I'm looking for is feedback on the differences between the 5s and the 5c. One of which is the camera.
Old October 31 2013, 02:58 PM   #24
Tiberius
Commodore

Kreacher wrote: View Post
So... don't buy it because I like the camera... but buy it because I can use it well for what I want... Well, part of what I want is to be able to take good pictures with it. I've already picked the iPhone 5something based on its os and other characteristics. All I'm looking for is feedback on the differences between the 5s and the 5c. One of which is the camera.
Well, first off, as a photographer, I can tell you that a dedicated camera is nearly always going to give you better quality images than a cameraphone. Mainly because the sensor is larger, and therefore the pixels can be larger, and thus you get less noise.

Secondly, a great camera isn't going to be any good if the phone's OS is crap.
Old October 31 2013, 06:49 PM   #25
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^ So I take it you think the iPhone's OS is crap?

BTW, I already own a dedicated camera. I tend not to have it with me as much as I "should", though, sometimes because I forget it, and sometimes because I just don't want to carry one more thing. I'm not one of the women who carry those huge purses that you could live out of for a week. So I want another option. And one of the good things I read about the 5s and 5c is that they've increased the size of the pixels (compared to the 5).
Old October 31 2013, 07:51 PM   #26
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Kreacher wrote: View Post
Other than the fingerprint sensor, what makes the 5s worth all the extra money?
The faster processor, I'd have to say. It really makes apps fly. Plus it has a dedicated co-processor for motion-related apps, which could also be very useful.

As for the camera, though, I rarely used it on my last iPhone and won't use it much on this one either. A dedicated camera is just so much better. I would never use any smartphone camera as my main one. IMHO it's only for emergencies, like when I don't have my regular camera with me but I see something I like.

Whichever iPhone you get though, you HAVE to get a decent case. Otterbox makes the best ones.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 08:31 PM   #27
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Yeah, pretty much everyone says Otterbox is best. If I buy the 5s, I'll definitely get one. Which model do you have?

If I buy the 5c, well, I'm not going to spend that kind of money to protect a $50 phone.

Edited to add: Oh, wait, you have the MLB edition Defender, right? I saw some complaints that it's hard to use the fingerprint thing with the case on. Has that been your experience?

Last edited by Tora Ziyal; October 31 2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old October 31 2013, 08:40 PM   #28
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ No, I don't have the baseball version of the Defender. They don't have versions for the Yankees or Mets (yet).

I have the 5s, BTW
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 08:54 PM   #29
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Basically, the iPhone 5c is the original iPhone 5's hardware in a plastic enclosure. The major upgrades in the iPhone 5s include the fingerprint sensor, a faster processor, a slightly upgraded camera, and not a ton else.

Honestly, I've been impressed with iPhone cameras ever since the iPhone 4. For example, every photograph in this collection was taken on an iPhone, by a professional photojournalist who's been working for more than three decades in the field.

You're never going to get a world-class SLR camera on a mobile phone. But there's nothing wrong at all with the camera in the iPhone 5c.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 11:31 PM   #30
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^ Wow, very impressive photos! Thanks for posting that.

^ No, I don't have the baseball version of the Defender. They don't have versions for the Yankees or Mets (yet).

I have the 5s, BTW
Yeah, I knew you have the 5s. I meant which Otterbox, and then I jumped to incorrect conclusions. So which Otterbox do you like so much? And have you had any trouble using the fingerprint sensor with it?