Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 6 2011, 12:46 AM   #76
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: Where Was Shatner At The Enterprise Shuttle Rollout?

From what I've seen of Walter Koenig's appearance on "Shatner's Raw Nerve" (the only TOS cast member besides Nimoy to be a guest on the show, btw), Shatner apologized profusely for his behavior, while Koenig acknowledged Shatner's point that the primary culprit in concocting this feud is the conventions, with the supporting cast getting adulation far and above their actual contribution to the show, contributing to dreams of unrequited glory if it wasn't for that rat bastard Shatner stealing their potentially starmaking moments!

Walter's always been the more level-headed of the group.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 03:19 AM   #77
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

View DakotaSmith's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to DakotaSmith Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DakotaSmith Send a message via Yahoo to DakotaSmith

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
From what I've seen of Walter Koenig's appearance on "Shatner's Raw Nerve" (the only TOS cast member besides Nimoy to be a guest on the show, btw)
Walter's always been the more level-headed of the group.
I've been meaning to catch that segment of Raw Nerve precisely because Koenig has always impressed me. I thought it during the first time I saw him interviewed, on Tom Snyder's Tomorrow in 1976.

Koenig said at the time that the most difficult thing for him was all the adulation he and the supporting cast got at conventions versus where the really were in their careers. He basically said, "We worked a couple of years as recurring characters where we didn't really do much acting. I'm lauded by the crowds at cons, but when I go home, I'm just some out-of-work actor and the praise doesn't matter at all. If someone else had been cast as Chekov, he'd be sitting here instead of me."

Anway, I do need to catch his segment. I just have to get over seeing Koenig without his rug ... :P

Dakota Smith

DakotaSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 06:50 PM   #78
ChrTh
Commodore

Holy crap my account still works!

Anyway ... um, somewhere around page 2 y'all stopped discussing why Shatner was absent from this photo. Any chance we could return to that discussion?
Old October 17 2013, 06:59 PM   #79
Melakon
Rear Admiral

So you opened a two-year old thread to say that?

Old October 17 2013, 07:07 PM   #80
Capt.Mac
Commander

He was off selling margarine. Promise.
Old October 17 2013, 08:27 PM   #81
ChrTh
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
So you opened a two-year old thread to say that?

Whoops, my bad. Someone linked this thread from George Takei's facebook post of the pic today, and I thought it was a current discussion.
Old October 18 2013, 05:43 AM   #82
trevanian
Rear Admiral

ChrTh wrote: View Post
Holy crap my account still works!

Anyway ... um, somewhere around page 2 y'all stopped discussing why Shatner was absent from this photo. Any chance we could return to that discussion?

I think this has been addressed in another thread more recently, cuz I remember trotting out the fact he was shooting KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS around this time (a movie that according to IMDB, did 17 mil on a halfmil budget, kinda amazing!) Also he had about a billion game show appearances to make since he didn't turn down any work during this period. Anybody else remember the embarrassingly awful films he did for high school classes where he'd 'play' real american farmers and other workers? I think Kim Cattrall is in one of them.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 06:15 AM   #83
BigJake
Commodore

The shuttle ceremony did not include those two little words that tend to shock and awe.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Shatner has now become irrevocably Denny Crane for me. Dare I say an even more indelible role than Kirk was...)

(Recruiting for a Where No Man Has Gone Before play-by-post RP. Check it out!)
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 06:40 AM   #84
Melakon
Rear Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
(Sorry, couldn't resist. Shatner has now become irrevocably Denny Crane for me. Dare I say an even more indelible role than Kirk was...)
So in your mind (I'm guessing), the Encyclopedia Britannica of the 23rd century will contain this entry:

Shatner, William (1931 - ? ): Obscure 20th century actor who later achieved worldwide fame in the early 21st century appearing on the television programs The Practice and Boston Legal, winning two Emmy awards. Earlier in his struggling career, Shatner appeared in the film The Devil's Rain (1975), which was entered into the National Film Registry in 2051 as being deemed "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant".
Old October 20 2013, 10:36 PM   #85
Brannigan
Commander

So in your mind (I'm guessing), the Encyclopedia Britannica of the 23rd century will contain this entry:

Shatner, William (1931 - ? ): Obscure 20th century actor who later achieved worldwide fame in the early 21st century appearing on the television programs The Practice and Boston Legal, winning two Emmy awards. Earlier in his struggling career, Shatner appeared in the film The Devil's Rain (1975), which was entered into the National Film Registry in 2051 as being deemed "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant".
"I once commanded my own starship!"-Denny Crane
Old October 22 2013, 05:25 PM   #86
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
If Shatner had have been on friendlier terms with his TOS colleagues, maybe someone would have offered him a spare room, or a couch.
Even though we're two years on, I'm compelled to point out that Mr. Shatner wasn't homeless and "living in a trailer in his friend's driveway." He (along with his dog) was traveling the country doing summer stock, trying to make a living as an actor shortly after Star Trek ended. He prides himself on never having had to make a living doing anything else, so he wasn't about to sell real estate or something. The cheaply bought trailer was his transportation and lodging in order to save money. Most of the time he'd set up in the theater parking lot, but once he camped out in the driveway of a fellow actor in the company. When the season ended, he drove back.

That's it. The reason he didn't sell his own property was because he needed to go home to something. Makes sense, right? All of this is in his own book.
Old October 22 2013, 06:32 PM   #87
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

trevanian wrote: View Post
Anybody else remember the embarrassingly awful films he did for high school classes where he'd 'play' real american farmers and other workers? I think Kim Cattrall is in one of them.
I believe you a referring to the mid 70s PBS series American Enterprise, which covered the rise of innovation in American industry, bookended with Shatner as a character relevant to the subject.

If memory serves, they were 15 or 30 minute segments, and to be honest, it was one of the most decent, to-the-point productions of Shatner's 70s work.
Old October 22 2013, 07:16 PM   #88
BigJake
Commodore

"He also owed a small but dedicated cult following to the police procedural T.J. Hooker."

(Recruiting for a Where No Man Has Gone Before play-by-post RP. Check it out!)
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 07:39 PM   #89
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Hey, T.J. was some good work from Shatner. All those running scenes helped him keep in shape too. And Heather Lockyear was around in case your mind wandered.
Old October 24 2013, 05:18 PM   #90
trevanian
Rear Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
Anybody else remember the embarrassingly awful films he did for high school classes where he'd 'play' real american farmers and other workers? I think Kim Cattrall is in one of them.
I believe you a referring to the mid 70s PBS series American Enterprise, which covered the rise of innovation in American industry, bookended with Shatner as a character relevant to the subject.

If memory serves, they were 15 or 30 minute segments, and to be honest, it was one of the most decent, to-the-point productions of Shatner's 70s work.
They may have been well-intentioned, but to highschool students, they played out as downright hysterical. i even scripted a parody where I was going to come out looking puffy with my hair combed to look toup-like and explain that while I am kevin martin, in this film I play William Shatner, a once promising stage performer and then short-term TV star now languishing in obscurity.

And that's from somebody who has always liked Shatner -- it was just too much seeing him in those, worse than BIG BAD MAMA by far.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote