Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old October 23 2013, 05:24 PM   #16
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: OSX Mavericks...

Warped9 wrote: View Post
My iMac is from 2011. Usually I always like to keep my software and OS up to date, but I use SketchUp practically every day (along with Maxwell Render) and so compatibility is a concern. I've been quite content with Mountain Lion so if there were issues with SketchUp running with Mavericks I could wait until things were ironed out.

That said I've been reading reviews of Mavericks and most of the changes are apparently "under the hood" so to speak in terms of efficiency and performance. Thankfully the user interface has been tweaked but not changed (as I understand it) and not as drastically as iOs7 on iPad and iPhone. I'm glad for although my mobile devices do work a bit better I don't care for the look of the iOs7 user interface with its simplistic and cartoony looking icons and such. Still, I am getting used to it.
I run Sketchup and it runs just fine on Mavericks. Yes, most of the changes are under the hood. While most of the Apps were redesigned, they aren't anywhere near what happen with iOS 7. Its well worth the FREE upgrade.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 06:42 PM   #17
Warped9
Admiral

I've read enough reviews as well as others stating their SketchUp running fine with Mavericks that I've decided to go for it. I'm downloading now.

Still, while the free download and upgrade is nice I miss the old hard disc install which I felt was much faster.
Old October 23 2013, 09:10 PM   #18
RoJoHen
Awesome

As with any major software update that I've ever encountered, I find that there a lot of random little things that bug me. Things that make me go, "Really? Did this need to be changed?" But overall, I'm sure it'll be fine. Just some little things I'm going to need to get used to.
Old October 23 2013, 09:59 PM   #19
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Mavericks seems to be working well for me so far. No problems or complaints as yet. And I definitely like the end of skeumorphism...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 10:37 PM   #20
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

What's funny, I liked a few of the skeumorphism, especially the calendar. It looked like the old desk calendar I use to use at work. I kept everything on that calendar, kind of miss it.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 11:30 PM   #21
Warped9
Admiral

I've installed Mavericks and everything seems to work fine, particularly including SketchUp. So far so good.

I do have one glitch unassociated with SketchUp. The upgrade kicked me off my wi-fi network and I can connect using only the guest connection. But when I enter the password to reconnect to my primary network connection it won't go. I've tried the install disc and nothing seems to work. Argh!!!
Old October 24 2013, 04:38 AM   #22
Warped9
Admiral

Well, my wi-fi network is all fucked up. I tried uninstalling, resetting and reinstalling my Cisco Linksys router with its Setup Cd and I get nothing but a message that it only supports certain OS. I get no other dialog boxes for installation.For now I've connected with an ethernet cable and tomorrow I'll try to fix this. If I can't then I'll just get a new router and start from scratch.
Old October 24 2013, 10:32 AM   #23
Candlelight
Admiral

I've got Mavericks running on a test partition (have done so with all the developer previews) and it's fine, runs all the apps I have (except VMware Fusion 5, which I haven't tried yet).

Will probably do a bit more testing then upgrade the primary partition in the next few weeks.
Old October 24 2013, 02:43 PM   #24
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Well, my wi-fi network is all fucked up. I tried uninstalling, resetting and reinstalling my Cisco Linksys router with its Setup Cd and I get nothing but a message that it only supports certain OS. I get no other dialog boxes for installation.For now I've connected with an ethernet cable and tomorrow I'll try to fix this. If I can't then I'll just get a new router and start from scratch.
Rebooting the router may help. Sometimes there's a physical reset button on it (note, this will reset the router's admin password as well) if power cycling isn't enough.

Whether or not tweaking the settings helps depends on what kind of access control you had on there.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 03:02 PM   #25
Warped9
Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
Rebooting the router may help. Sometimes there's a physical reset button on it (note, this will reset the router's admin password as well) if power cycling isn't enough.

Whether or not tweaking the settings helps depends on what kind of access control you had on there.
Yes, the router has a reset button and I tried that twice followed by reinserting the setup CD. I get nothing. Right now I can't even get the guest access. My iPad is connected by wi-fi in an unsecure setup and I will try to set up a password protection for it, but failing that I'll just scrap the whole thing for a new router.

Maybe...maybe it's just possible that Mavericks doesn't want to work with this older (2yers old) router, but I can't see why it shouldn't.

Last edited by Warped9; October 24 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Warped9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 03:45 PM   #26
Warped9
Admiral

Reading around particularly on Apple's support and discussions site apparently I'm not the only one with this issue. Some others are having the same problem connecting to their WPA-2 personal. It might be something Apple has to fix.
Old October 24 2013, 04:36 PM   #27
Metryq
Captain

Reading around particularly on Apple's support and discussions site apparently I'm not the only one with this issue. Some others are having the same problem connecting to their WPA-2 personal. It might be something Apple has to fix.
I was going to mention those support forum posts, but I figured you were already reading them. I've seen many WiFi problems on newer equipment in the last few years—always during an upgrade. Perhaps Apple is using a different manufacturer's WiFi chips, or even a mixture of equipment from different manufacturers.

Again assuming you've considered this sort of thing, try all the variables on the router: 2.4 vs 5 GHz, different security vs none, etc.
Old October 24 2013, 04:38 PM   #28
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Note that 2.4 vs 5 GHz can have significant range implications.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 04:58 PM   #29
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

@Warped9: I would be remiss if I didn't put in my usual recommendation for Apple gear. In this case, the AirPort Extreme router (the one that looks like a white skyscraper ). I found the setup to be absolutely seamless and it works great.

Plus it supports dual 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz networks simultaneously. Your gear will connect to whichever one it can support, automatically.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 07:16 PM   #30
Warped9
Admiral

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
@Warped9: I would be remiss if I didn't put in my usual recommendation for Apple gear. In this case, the AirPort Extreme router (the one that looks like a white skyscraper ). I found the setup to be absolutely seamless and it works great.

Plus it supports dual 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz networks simultaneously. Your gear will connect to whichever one it can support, automatically.
I'm actually tempted to go with that. Is the Airport Extreme necessary or would Airport Express serve? The Extreme is twice the price of the Express I believe.