Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 24 2013, 01:18 AM   #31
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Re: Matt Smith would have stayed...

Honestly, the Destiny of the Doctor audio series is something that should've happened this year, or at least something akin to it. A special on each of the post-1989 Doctors, with little hints towards the 50th anniversary special. Obvious a 9th Doctor special might not have happened, but maybe it would?

I dunno, definitely some lost opportunity there. I mean, who wouldn't honestly want to see Paul McGann in a proper, un-Americanized Doctor Who story?
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 02:30 AM   #32
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'd prefer it if they did something like that to bring back Paul McGann. I want more Eighth Doctor in live action, darn it!
Agreed!

When I think about the Tennant/Smith idea, I'm torn. At first glance, it sounds really freakin' awesome! But I feel like doing it for an entire 13 episode season might be straining the novelty of it.

I've been thinking lately that, if they ever do a year like 2009 where they just do a bunch of specials in lieu of a full season, they could have each special feature a different Doctor. Like, one each for McGann, Tennant, Smith, & Capaldi.

BTW, much as I love Matt Smith, I'm really looking forward to Capaldi. I've been watching & reading a lot of 3rd Doctor stuff lately, so I'm even more predisposed towards an older Doctor anyway. He's even been popping up in some of my dreams lately. Fall 2014 can't come soon enough!
Old October 24 2013, 01:27 PM   #33
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Well really, I'd rather have a McGann series than another Tennant series. I love Tennant and he was my doctor, but McGann got about 40 minutes screen time, he deserves more. Tennant is fantastic and I'd love to have seen him for longer, but I think it couldn't be as good as it ever was with him as THE doctor.

However one positive of this is that Smith IS leaving. Am I the only one who has become utterly fed up with Smith? I can't wait to see the back of him. His whole era has just been breaks in the middle of series, badly written series finale's, and underwhelming episodes in general. It's time to say good bye. At long last. And thank god. Smith did have some good times. Eleventh Hour, Cold War, The Angels Take Manhattan, and Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon come to mind, but other than that, most Smith episodes have been average at best, with the majority of them being under average or just plain shit. Hopefully Capaldi will bring a wind of change. he will be his own doctor instead of basing himself on the second doctor like Smith did. I don't want Capaldi to be the next first, third, or even sixth doctor, I want him to be his own doctor. I want him to be the 12th doctor unlike Smith being the next second doctor and Tennant to a degree being the next fourth doctor.

But really, people on this forum are forgetting one thing about Tennant's doctor. He has not just become a doctor, he has become the doctor. The default doctor. He's the Tom Baker of the 21st century. Not only does tenant seem to be based a tiny bit on Tom Baker, but he has pretty much become the most iconic doctor, especially in the UK. At the end of the day, Tom Baker and David Tennant are the default doctors now. Remember in the days of the classic series that Tom Baker was always the doctor people thought of when someone said Doctor Who, that's what Tennant has become. Plus younger fans have grown up with Tennant, me included.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 01:30 PM   #34
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
I'd prefer it if they did something like that to bring back Paul McGann. I want more Eighth Doctor in live action, darn it!
Agreed!

When I think about the Tennant/Smith idea, I'm torn. At first glance, it sounds really freakin' awesome! But I feel like doing it for an entire 13 episode season might be straining the novelty of it.

I've been thinking lately that, if they ever do a year like 2009 where they just do a bunch of specials in lieu of a full season, they could have each special feature a different Doctor. Like, one each for McGann, Tennant, Smith, & Capaldi.

BTW, much as I love Matt Smith, I'm really looking forward to Capaldi. I've been watching & reading a lot of 3rd Doctor stuff lately, so I'm even more predisposed towards an older Doctor anyway. He's even been popping up in some of my dreams lately. Fall 2014 can't come soon enough!
Yeah, they could have done a specials year where Smith meets other doctors to learn how to become more "doctorly" again. My suggestion would have been the following:

1)Smith and McGann
2)Smith and Tennant
3)Smith and Davison
4)Smith regeneration to Capaldi.
Old October 24 2013, 02:21 PM   #35
Christopher
Writer

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
However one positive of this is that Smith IS leaving. Am I the only one who has become utterly fed up with Smith? I can't wait to see the back of him. His whole era has just been breaks in the middle of series, badly written series finale's, and underwhelming episodes in general. It's time to say good bye.
How is Smith responsible for any of that? Those are writing/production/scheduling issues, not actor issues. Remember, Moffat will still be the showrunner when Capaldi arrives. So there's no reason to expect the writing style of the series to change much. And I think the midseason breaks are the BBC's decision, so there's no reason why recasting the lead actor would have any affect on them.

Hopefully Capaldi will bring a wind of change. he will be his own doctor instead of basing himself on the second doctor like Smith did. I don't want Capaldi to be the next first, third, or even sixth doctor, I want him to be his own doctor.
This is quite an overstatement. Smith may have drawn some inspiration from Troughton, but the two are extremely different in a lot of ways. Troughton's Doctor had a humble, gentle facade masking a sharp, commanding mind within; Smith's Doctor has more of a brash, overconfident, and self-congratulatory facade masking a more feckless and insecure personality. Smith's Doctor thinks he's the coolest guy in the room when nobody else does, and revels in being the center of attention; Troughton's was content to go unnoticed and underestimated, but had a way of quietly taking charge in a crisis through his sheer competence.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 05:41 PM   #36
Anachronus
Commodore

I quite agree with Christopher, while Smith had some Troughtonesque mannerisms at first, those quickly faded and he became his own Doctor well before the end of the first series, though its hard to tell as the filming order did not parallel the order in which they aired.

-St. Augustine of Hippo
Anachronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 07:07 PM   #37
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
However one positive of this is that Smith IS leaving. Am I the only one who has become utterly fed up with Smith? I can't wait to see the back of him. His whole era has just been breaks in the middle of series, badly written series finale's, and underwhelming episodes in general. It's time to say good bye.
How is Smith responsible for any of that? Those are writing/production/scheduling issues, not actor issues. Remember, Moffat will still be the showrunner when Capaldi arrives. So there's no reason to expect the writing style of the series to change much. And I think the midseason breaks are the BBC's decision, so there's no reason why recasting the lead actor would have any affect on them.

Hopefully Capaldi will bring a wind of change. he will be his own doctor instead of basing himself on the second doctor like Smith did. I don't want Capaldi to be the next first, third, or even sixth doctor, I want him to be his own doctor.
This is quite an overstatement. Smith may have drawn some inspiration from Troughton, but the two are extremely different in a lot of ways. Troughton's Doctor had a humble, gentle facade masking a sharp, commanding mind within; Smith's Doctor has more of a brash, overconfident, and self-congratulatory facade masking a more feckless and insecure personality. Smith's Doctor thinks he's the coolest guy in the room when nobody else does, and revels in being the center of attention; Troughton's was content to go unnoticed and underestimated, but had a way of quietly taking charge in a crisis through his sheer competence.
Smith isn't responsible for shitty episodes and bad production, that was mainly Moffat. I just don't particularly like how Smith plays the doctor. He's too full of himself, plus I feel Smiths era has been the weakest of the revived series.

Those are relatively minor differences. But you can't deny that Smith based himself on Trougthon a lot. The bow tie (which Smith went a bit more overboard with while Troughton thought nothing much of it), in later episodes they shared a similar coat, they have similar catchphrases such as "I see you've redecorated, I don't like it" which worked well with Troughton, but not so will with Smith. I'd say Smith is pretty much the younger version of Troughton. If Troughton was the first doctor and he had a prequel series with Smith as the doctor, Smith would pretty much be the perfect younger troughton. Smith is more self aware and proud of his looks, thus the fancy haircut, bow tie, and what is almost a tidier and fancier version of Troughtons outfit. But as time goes on, the doctor would grow up, stop caring about looks, and thus the bad haircut and tattier version of Smiths outfit on Troughton. You can see what I mean, Smith is just too similar to Troughton.
Old October 24 2013, 08:17 PM   #38
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

The "Doctor" does not grow up. Various incarnations may act older, crotchety, etc, and some whimsical and insane, but he has not grown up. He is still a child for his race.
Old October 24 2013, 08:54 PM   #39
MickJo1701
Commander

David Tennant said just recently that he used Patrick Troughton's portrayal of the Doctor to base his own and believed every actor since Troughton has done the same.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 09:01 PM   #40
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
David Tennant said just recently that he used Patrick Troughton's portrayal of the Doctor to base his own and believed every actor since Troughton has done the same.
I agree. Hartnell is the "odd Man Out", everyone else has some variation of Troughton at their core.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 10:13 PM   #41
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
Pertwee was his own Doctor, definitely not based on Troughton. Baker, hmm, no not really Troughton.

Davison, definitely see Troughton there.

Colin Baker seems to have drawn more from Hartnell.

McCoy, hmm, a bit of Troughton.

Don't remember enough about McGann to know.

Eccleston really didn't draw much on any previous Doctor.

So, I don't totally agree with that. But Davison, Tennant, and Smith, yes can see that they drew on Troughton.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 10:34 PM   #42
Christopher
Writer

^I think what they mean is that Troughton's Doctor set the pattern for the rest in a way Hartnell didn't. In the Hartnell era, the companions were more the lead characters and the Doctor was more of a mentor/advisor. But from Troughton onward, the Doctor was undeniably the star of the show and his companions were there to follow his lead.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 11:23 PM   #43
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

*Pertwee - His own man really, if I had to choose, closer to Hartnel than Troughton as in the fact that Pertwee was a mentor and grandfatherly figure like Hartnel.
*Baker - A hint of Troughton, but more adventurous, and more crazy!
*Davison - A tiny bit of all of the first three doctors, but not Troughton in particular. Yet again, if I had to choose, a tiny bit more like Hartnel than Troughton. But yet again, he was his own man. Sensitive, young, handsome.
*C.Baker - More Hartnel than anything, although maybe a pinch or two of Troughton also. But again, almost his own man,
*McCoy - Yeah, okay, I'd say half and half of Troughton and T. Baker but with ore mystery.
*McGann - Fully his own man. If anything, in his later Audio stories he based himself more or less on the ninth doctor, which Is actually a future incarnation. Real fucked up, right. :P
*Ecclestion - Yet again his own man, maybe with hints of all eight previous doctors. he had a romantic side, so maybe a bit on the eight doctor. (funny how 8&9 seem to be based on each other. :P)
*Tennant - More Tom Baker than anything, maybe with hints of Troughton, but more T Baker. But still his own man to a degree.
*Smith - Almost a younger version of Troughton with bits of Tom Baker, William Hartnel, Sylvester McCoy and even Colin Baker thrown in. But more Troughton than anything, not really his own man at all. probably the first doctor to almost completely base himself on past doctors and only put a bit of his flavour on it.
Old October 25 2013, 12:48 PM   #44
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

I don't think its fair to say that Smith is basically a younger Troughton - the latter was relatively more caculated than Smith, who's certainly like a mad scientist. And as has been pinted out, Smith seeks approval while Troughton was content to go unnoticed.

I think that Troughton did set the precedent of the Time Traveller & Co. to the show. He was the lead that did the unusual, the unexpected that the companions around had no idea about. Doesn't mean the given interpretations weren't their own man - far from it. That the Tenth has elements of Four and Five is, in fact, a nice addition of nostalgia towards the character himself, and a real sense of personal history.

And to add, yes, I will miss Matt Smith. He's had the unenviable job off following after an immensly popular Doctor, and made the part truly his own. I wish he'd have stayed, but at the same time I look forward to the new Doctor - thats how it is with DW, after all.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 02:51 PM   #45
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^I think what they mean is that Troughton's Doctor set the pattern for the rest in a way Hartnell didn't. In the Hartnell era, the companions were more the lead characters and the Doctor was more of a mentor/advisor. But from Troughton onward, the Doctor was undeniably the star of the show and his companions were there to follow his lead.

I don't think that's what they mean, they're talking about the character of the Doctor more than the format of the show. But, I agree with your assessment along those lines.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote