Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 22 2013, 08:49 PM   #31
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: A question for people smarter then I.

sonak, Re: "extremely rare". That's not what you said, bud. You said it was impossible, and it is in fact possible.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 10:14 PM   #32
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

sonak wrote: View Post
So... yeah. I'm being told "I'm completely wrong," because I got a small irrelevant detail of mostly wording wrong while being correct on the main ideas.
You could have just acknowledged the mistake or moved on and it wouldn't have been a problem. Instead, you decided to be kind of smug and shift the focus of the discussion to another issue no one was debating with you. Plus, you questioned her sources and where she got her information, and then when she gave you her credentials (in addition to a link) you criticized her for listing her background like she was bragging when you were the one who asked.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 10:59 PM   #33
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Oh, and don't assume that the fact that you have a college degree or work experience or that you do some reading impresses me. None of those three things are exactly rare.
Yeah. You are not impressed by education, experience, or knowledge. That's just pablum.

A misinterpreted wikipedia page and a stubborn refusal to learn is the true source of wisdom.
Old October 22 2013, 11:37 PM   #34
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Another smack down on Sonak, thanks TSQ, that was beautiful. I can place a memory somewhere between 1 and three by the house we had lived in and the folks watching either a late Mercury or early Gemini launch. There's not much to recall except running around pretending to be on the rocket and the folks trying to keep me from jumping off stuff. Having lived there as late as three, there are a lot of memories, but I couldn't give any particular year to them.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 12:30 AM   #35
Leviathan
Commander

Death wrote: View Post
So, I know there are smarter people on this board than myself. And, despite the fact that I know I carry a reputation which prevents many from taking me serious, I figured why not ask.

How does one know if they are repressing a memory, or simply don't have the memory they are looking for? Is there really a way to know the difference?
I know the answer but I don't remember it...
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 03:11 AM   #36
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Im N Ur Childhoodz wrote: View Post
So... yeah. I'm being told "I'm completely wrong," because I got a small irrelevant detail of mostly wording wrong while being correct on the main ideas.
You could have just acknowledged the mistake or moved on and it wouldn't have been a problem. Instead, you decided to be kind of smug and shift the focus of the discussion to another issue no one was debating with you. Plus, you questioned her sources and where she got her information, and then when she gave you her credentials (in addition to a link) you criticized her for listing her background like she was bragging when you were the one who asked.
Seriously, sonak, you asked and I answered. It's not like I said, "I have a degree in maths and ten years experience in chemical engineering, now listen to my opinions on psychology!" And if you're honest you'll have to agree that I've never used my credentials to back my claims on any topic where they weren't relevant (in fact, I don't know if I've ever used them before that way at all!). There aren't a lot of domains where my opinion is actually relevant, and I try really hard not to take residence upon Mount Stupid (I know, it's tempting!), but this is an area where I do know what I'm talking about. Sorry if the fact that my info didn't actually come Google University is a problem for you. And if the whole thing was a misunderstanding due to poor wording, then that's fine.
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Oh, and don't assume that the fact that you have a college degree or work experience or that you do some reading impresses me. None of those three things are exactly rare.
Yeah. You are not impressed by education, experience, or knowledge. That's just pablum.
I totally missed that juicy little tidbit.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 06:29 AM   #37
RoJoHen
Awesome

I have almost no memories of my life before the age of 9. I have memories of watching home movies from earlier years, but there's almost nothing that I remember directly from that time aside from a few random images.
Old October 23 2013, 06:38 AM   #38
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

My earliest memory is from when I was about two and a half years old and my parents and I got a brand new kitten. That was sometime during the spring of 1977. Before that I just can't recall a thing.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 07:15 AM   #39
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

I remember certain random and relatively dramatic events from when I was three or younger: getting baptized (significant because I was being handed to a complete stranger), getting left in the nursery at church one Sunday and crying up a storm, my first walk up the sidewalk by myself (though in sight of my father; my younger brother wasn't allowed to come along!), my dad being injured by a rock thrown from the lawn mower, the trip to the hospital for that and him subsequently getting an infected knee, moving to a new city, the moonwalk. For some reason, I remember getting changed once. I used to have a thing for pointing out water towers from the car, and I remember doing that. I remember arriving at the house of a girl I played with, though for some reason I can't remember her. The lawn mower incident is about the most complete narrative I remember.

Remembering the moonwalk is fairly interesting. My awareness of the moon was not unlike my awareness of water towers. I feel very fortunate, because my parents made a point of speaking to me and answering questions. My parents explained the significance of what we were listening to on the radio, because I asked, and that brought my awareness of the moon, so far as only one of the random objects I was aware of, to the fore. Because I thought it was interesting that I remembered that, years later when I was a teen I recounted it to my parents. They confirmed that we were indeed where I remembered, specifically at the family's mountain house with the extended family, listening to it on the radio. Although I didn't remember this detail, assuming I even knew it, they added that it was indeed Armstrong's walk. I feel confident believing that their view of it at the time as a significant event influenced my experience of it as something important. Of course, I don't remember very much of it at all. All I remember is the family listening to the radio in the mountains, having it explained to me that men were walking on the moon because I asked what was so important, and then that we were listening to people talking about that on the radio.
Old October 23 2013, 02:22 PM   #40
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
My earliest memory is from when I was about two and a half years old and my parents and I got a brand new kitten. That was sometime during the spring of 1977. Before that I just can't recall a thing.
That's actually my earliest memory as well. Well, except it was our kitten, not yours!

I was 18 months old at the time and remember it very clearly to this day.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 02:47 PM   #41
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

I remember my 2nd birthday fairly well, and I possibly have one memory earlier, though it's hard to confirm. If it is a real memory it would be from when I was about 18 months old. I'm inclined to think it was real because, unlike other early memories that could be influenced by photographs, this memory is of a baby trike on a stone patio that was in an apartment complex we lived in when I was an infant, and of which we have no photos. I remember sitting next to the trike, and having somehow injured my arm or finger, I can't really remember which -- I just recall staring at the blood, which had formed a perfect little crimson bead on my skin.

Everything after age 4 is fairly clear for me, but I have a few large gaps around puberty and some from college, which I think may be the result of trauma.

Old October 23 2013, 05:43 PM   #42
sonak
Vice Admiral

Im N Ur Childhoodz wrote: View Post

that's a fascinating interpretation of what happened. I just asked where she got her info, she essentially responded defensively(and irrelevantly) "back off man, I'm a teacher and I've got a COLLEGE DEGREE! And I READ A LOT!"

As someone with a degree myself and a good deal of post-baccalaureate education, that didn't exactly impress me. I mean, if someone asked me what my source for something was, I wouldn't respond "well, I've got a degree in X from a highly-regarded school, so back off, man."

And again, my overall point was still correct, I got a minor detail wrong. It didn't even matter to the overall thrust of my argument.
Old October 23 2013, 05:45 PM   #43
sonak
Vice Admiral

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post

A misinterpreted wikipedia page and a stubborn refusal to learn is the true source of wisdom.

I'm not impressed by someone with an equivalent or less education than myself, no.

Also, I'm not impressed by someone who (laughably) sees himself as an initimidating bully either.
Old October 23 2013, 05:50 PM   #44
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Chill out. As should be obvious (but as I explained nonetheless, and will explain once more since you still seem to be confused) my background is relevant. It is where I got my information (the question you asked), hence my citing it. If my credentials had been in history or chemistry, then yes, it would be ridiculous for me to say, "Look at me I've got a college degree and read a lot so you should listen to my opinion!" But that is very obviously not what happened.

Old October 23 2013, 11:43 PM   #45
iguana_tonante
Admiral

that's a fascinating interpretation of what happened. I just asked where she got her info, she essentially responded defensively(and irrelevantly) "back off man, I'm a teacher and I've got a COLLEGE DEGREE! And I READ A LOT!"
No, that's not what happened. You made an incorrect claim, tsq corrected you, you asked for sources, and she told you she's a scholar and an expert in the field. Those are the facts. Now, a reasonable way to close it would be to say something along the lines of "cool, I didn't know that. thanks for the info. cheerio, mate!" But no, of course you can't do that. You have to dig your heel, and refuse to bulge even one inch. Now you can try to act all nonplussed and superior, but the truth is that you tried to be smug, and it backfired to your face. You can admit it, or you can keep digging. Your choice.

As someone with a degree myself and a good deal of post-baccalaureate education, that didn't exactly impress me.
It should, because it's relevant to the topic.

I'm not impressed by someone with an equivalent or less education than myself, no.
What about someone with a better education than yourself? Because I am pretty sure that would be me.

Also, I'm not impressed by someone who (laughably) sees himself as an initimidating bully either.
This is why you are not very good at this. Nobody sees himself as a bully; other people see them that way. (I'm not even going into the matter if laughing at your attempt to recover from a blunder would constitute bullying.) But try again next time, eh? Maybe you'll have better luck.