RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Posts: 5,430,627
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 444
Newest member: Old Man 51


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 22 2013, 03:53 AM   #151
Danny99
Vice Admiral
 
Danny99's Avatar
 
Location: Cookstown, Ontario, Canada
Re: Guess which new show will be canceled first?

Alot of the new shows are going back to the well and pulling out the old crazy comedy motto. What happened to a decently written drama? Criminal Minds is nine seasons in, proving that it works. But then SVU is at fifteen or more, so there goes that theory.
__________________
The poster previously known as canadaboy_32
Danny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 06:21 PM   #152
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: Guess which new show will be canceled first?

They might be giving the MJF show a longer chance because they know it can be potentially completely retooled around Fox into something better.

Procedurals like CSI and SVU get high ratings because older couples like the formula and they feel those shows are culturally relevant because they parrot their own feelings about the decline of modern society, while fulfilling their justice fantasies about said decline.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 07:40 PM   #153
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral
 
Owain Taggart's Avatar
 
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Re: Guess which new show will be canceled first?

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
They might be giving the MJF show a longer chance because they know it can be potentially completely retooled around Fox into something better.
Actually, it's because it got a full season right out of the gate, sight unseen. If it were to get any retooling, it would have to be the second season and NBC would have to have a lot of faith in it for it to happen.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 09:22 PM   #154
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Guess which new show will be canceled first?

Promising a full season, even if the full season has been shot, doesn't mean that they can't cancel and shelf the unaired episodes if the ratings suck uncontrollably.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 12:28 AM   #155
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral
 
Owain Taggart's Avatar
 
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Re: Guess which new show will be canceled first?

Unless it`s in part of his contract that a full season has to be aired.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 12:54 AM   #156
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Guess which new show will be canceled first?

Chandler had something like that in Mr Showtime contract.

But he was terrified of the Friends Curse.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 03:05 AM   #157
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: Guess which new show will be canceled first?

I was thinking, replace most of the non-Fox cast and liquidate the writing staff.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 04:45 AM   #158
IndyJones
Vice Admiral
 
IndyJones's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Re: Guess which new show will be canceled first?

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Chandler had something like that in Mr Showtime contract.

But he was terrified of the Friends Curse.
That's Mr Sunshine.

Yay.
__________________
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 04:55 PM   #159
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Guess which new show will be canceled first?

Danny99 wrote: View Post
Alot of the new shows are going back to the well and pulling out the old crazy comedy motto. What happened to a decently written drama? Criminal Minds is nine seasons in, proving that it works. But then SVU is at fifteen or more, so there goes that theory.
Are you saying that Criminal Minds is a decently written drama?!

Moms got a full season order, so the next show to be canceled has to be Dads.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 05:08 PM   #160
jayceee
Commander
 
Re: Guess which new show will be canceled first?

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Unless it`s in part of his contract that a full season has to be aired.
(Assuming the contract does not explicitly state the specific precise days the episodes have to be aired).

In principle they can air the remaining episodes in a "burning off" marathon, during a slow period (such as the summer).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_off
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 05:21 PM   #161
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Guess which new show will be canceled first?

Thank you for the link.

I had thought you meant like what I do to my farts at parties.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 07:42 PM   #162
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral
 
Owain Taggart's Avatar
 
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Re: Guess which new show will be canceled first?

jayceee wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Unless it`s in part of his contract that a full season has to be aired.
(Assuming the contract does not explicitly state the specific precise days the episodes have to be aired).

In principle they can air the remaining episodes in a "burning off" marathon, during a slow period (such as the summer).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_off

True enough. I guess they could always do that. Even if it's one of their shows they've been really counting on.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 01:20 AM   #163
Danny99
Vice Admiral
 
Danny99's Avatar
 
Location: Cookstown, Ontario, Canada
Re: Guess which new show will be canceled first?

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Danny99 wrote: View Post
Alot of the new shows are going back to the well and pulling out the old crazy comedy motto. What happened to a decently written drama? Criminal Minds is nine seasons in, proving that it works. But then SVU is at fifteen or more, so there goes that theory.
Are you saying that Criminal Minds is a decently written drama?!
I think the quality of their writing has increased this season. I was particularly impressed by the episode where they did the mindfuck with sniper and what's going on in his head.
__________________
The poster previously known as canadaboy_32
Danny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 02:27 AM   #164
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Guess which new show will be canceled first?

Danny99 wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Danny99 wrote: View Post
Alot of the new shows are going back to the well and pulling out the old crazy comedy motto. What happened to a decently written drama? Criminal Minds is nine seasons in, proving that it works. But then SVU is at fifteen or more, so there goes that theory.
Are you saying that Criminal Minds is a decently written drama?!
I think the quality of their writing has increased this season. I was particularly impressed by the episode where they did the mindfuck with sniper and what's going on in his head.
Well it's good that the writing has improved, and really good that CBS gave the show a chance, for nine damn boring seasons!
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 02:57 AM   #165
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: Guess which new show will be canceled first?

So you've been watching the show all this time then?
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.