Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 23 2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Matt Smith would have stayed...

...had Moffat agreed to his plan for a "two Doctors" series with him and David Tennant.

Moffat: "Matt told me that he'd worked out this plan that they'd both continue in Doctor Who: do five individual episodes each and three together -- would that be ok? It was a nice plan. I think if I'd said yes they'd have gone for it."

Damn it, Moffat, why did you say no? That would have been the greatest thing ever! (And yes, I'm saying this as someone who's been critical of Moffat's work.) It might not have made sense narratively, and it would have really stretched the format, but it would have been fun!

Moffat, the implacable enemy of fun.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: Matt Smith would have stayed...

Yeah, I took that whole story as more of a joke. I don't expect that either Smith or Tennant would've actually stayed, they kind of have other plans!

Not to mention, what to do with Capaldi?!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 03:03 PM   #3
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Yeah, I took that whole story as more of a joke. I don't expect that either Smith or Tennant would've actually stayed, they kind of have other plans!

Not to mention, what to do with Capaldi?!
At the time, which would have been April, Capaldi wasn't cast. Moffat was probably already looking at Capaldi, as it was around that time that the Ben Daniels rumors, which we now know had some validity, ramped up. But if Capaldi weren't cast, and from what Daniels has said we know that didn't happen until summer, Moffat could have changed his tentative series 8 plans to accommodate Matt Smith's plan.

Matt's structure for the season makes a lot of sense -- five solo episodes for each Doctor, plus three team-up episodes. So I'd imagine a team-up episode to kick off the season -- maybe a "Key to Time" like threat that the eleventh Doctor knows he can't do on his own -- so he calls in his tenth self and they split up, each doing what they can. And there could be cameos throughout the series as the Doctors check in on each other (because the audience would want to see the two Doctors together). Finally, there's the two-part finale where the two Doctors get together and lay down the smack.

A plan like this would have limited the filming so each could have pursued other projects; we're talking five filming blocks each for Tennant and Smith instead of the usual seven.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Christopher
Writer

I'd prefer it if they did something like that to bring back Paul McGann. I want more Eighth Doctor in live action, darn it!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I can't see Tennant having agreed to come back.

I'd love to see more McGann too. But I imagine that Smith's comments (which were probably tongue in cheek) arose because he enjoyed working with Tennant on the DOTD special.
Old October 23 2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

The most positive thing about this, of course, is that there might be a possibility of a multi-Doctor story with both Tennant and Smith again in the future... possibly with Capaldi for fun's sake?
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 04:13 PM   #7
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
The most positive thing about this, of course, is that there might be a possibility of a multi-Doctor story with both Tennant and Smith again in the future... possibly with Capaldi for fun's sake?
That could be interesting. Moffatt has acknowledged in interviews that 10 and 11 are quite similar and get along quite well (as oppose to eg 2 and 3, who squabbled when they met). If, as is rumoured, Capaldi will be darker and grumpier than his immediate predecessors, it would be fun to see how he reacts to their cheerier dynamic.
Old October 23 2013, 04:17 PM   #8
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
It might not have made sense narratively, and it would have really stretched the format, but it would have been fun!
I'm willing to bet that the format is about to be stretched as much as it was in 1970 when the third Doctor was introduced, so that wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

That being said, if this was said at all, it was said with tongue panted firmly in cheek. No one ever really considered it seriously.
Old October 23 2013, 04:22 PM   #9
Relayer1
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'd prefer it if they did something like that to bring back Paul McGann. I want more Eighth Doctor in live action, darn it!
Seconded !

McGann's one of my favourite Doctors. With my favourite control room...
Old October 23 2013, 04:25 PM   #10
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

Thirded. Maybe because he's my first Doctor, maybe because I feel like he got the short straw only getting that TV movie. I really want to see him brought back for something.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Tom
Rear Admiral

It would be better if 10 did not like 11 that much, it would give more reason to him for not wanting to regenerate in TEOT.
Old October 23 2013, 04:40 PM   #12
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
If, as is rumoured, Capaldi will be darker and grumpier than his immediate predecessors, it would be fun to see how he reacts to their cheerier dynamic.
*10 and 11 joke around telepathically*

10- HA!

11- I know!

12- Look at you two. The skin(skinny) and the chin

10 and 11- Oi
Old October 23 2013, 05:44 PM   #13
Starkers
Admiral

I might be alone, but I think this would have been a terrible idea. If Tennant wanted to remain as the Doctor he had the chance, he chose to leave, same with Matt. I love Smith to bits in the role, but I'd rather have a man firmly committed to the role than two men wanting to have their cake and eat it.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
If, as is rumoured, Capaldi will be darker and grumpier than his immediate predecessors, it would be fun to see how he reacts to their cheerier dynamic.
*10 and 11 joke around telepathically*

10- HA!

11- I know!

12- Look at you two. The skin(skinny) and the chin

10 and 11- Oi
12: I'm SO glad I'm not them anymore!
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 06:07 PM   #15
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Judge Death wrote: View Post
I might be alone, but I think this would have been a terrible idea. If Tennant wanted to remain as the Doctor he had the chance, he chose to leave, same with Matt. I love Smith to bits in the role, but I'd rather have a man firmly committed to the role than two men wanting to have their cake and eat it.
I think it would be fun for a season. However, I don't suspect this is anything they'd actually do unless the ratings were in sharp decline. Then they might try something like this to bring back a "golden age."

JNT was thinking along these lines and having a degeneration back to Troughton!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote