Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 23 2013, 02:05 AM   #91
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles
Re: Castle - Season 6 Discussion & Spoilers

Kirby wrote: View Post
The one (very minor) thing that bothers me is that Alexis says that she can get work study money. Bullshit. I work in the Financial Aid industry and unless she legally emancipated herself, Castle's money would never allow her to be eligible for financial aid, which does include work study.
That's true, but sometimes student jobs open up on campus, and there's either more jobs than students receiving aid, or jobs that nobody wants, regardless of their circumstances (cleaning up after the monkeys in the Psych department was a perennial 'winner' at my alma mater). People like Alexis with means would be at the end of the list for those jobs, though. It's also possible she got a job on campus that wasn't needs-based, and she's just using "work study" as a generic term.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 04:08 AM   #92
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

When I went to college my mom made like $25,000 I hadn't worked yet and my dad is dead and I didn't even get work study money!

Yet my druggie classmate with two teachers as parents did. I don't get it.
Old October 25 2013, 09:56 AM   #93
Data Holmes
Admiral

So, time travel is real. There will be an energy war. Castle and Beckett will have three kids (does Alexis count toward that number I wonder). Castle stops writing mysteries. And Beckett becomes a senator.

I honestly wouldn't mind if the time travel plot popped up from time to time.
Old October 25 2013, 01:46 PM   #94
Christopher
Writer

Ahh, but if time travel is real, then the future can be altered, and things won't necessarily play out exactly as the time traveler described. Although the exact match on the coffee stain does suggest otherwise.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 02:48 PM   #95
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Death wrote: View Post
So, time travel is real. There will be an energy war. Castle and Beckett will have three kids (does Alexis count toward that number I wonder). Castle stops writing mysteries. And Beckett becomes a senator.

Maybe it already has and this wasn't the neo-Fascist's first attempt to incite a global war by altering past events and eliminating some of their enemies by getting them to fight each other:

The conspiracy depicted in an episode of "Castle" from last week, "Pandora," and concluded on Monday in "Linchpin" garners a number of kudos for originality.

The conspiracy involved the use of the theories of a social scientist named Nelson Blakely, a kind of Bruce Bueno de Mesquita character, who can predict future events and even influence them with mathematics. Blakely has developed an idea called "linchpin" which supposes that a minor event can lead to much larger ones, changing the course of world history. It is an actual concept derived from game theory, used to help negotiate diplomatic agreements and form business partnerships.

The two main characters, Richard Castle, a writer of murder mysteries, and Kate Beckett, a tough New York detective, are recruited by an old flame of Castle's, Sophia Turner, a CIA spy master. The case involves someone who is presumed to be a rogue CIA operative who is connected with a plot to bring down the American economy using Blakely's theories.

The story has some twists, turns, and red herrings. The upshot is that the linchpin is the 10-year-old daughter of an important Chinese official. The plot is to kill the little girl in an apparent botched attempt to kill the official, blaming the killing on the United States. The Chinese official then would influence the Beijing government to stop buying American debt in retaliation. The economy of the United States collapses. The austerity measures required to repair the damage would severely limit America's ability to keep the peace. Russia, China, the Middle Eastern terrorists, and a lot of other powers would run wild, starting a global war.

The party behind the plot is suggested to be East European interests, which can be taken to mean Russia's Vladmir Putin. This is buttressed by the fact that there is a mole inside the CIA who started out as a KGB plant, now working for the conspiracy.

Of course Castle and Beckett save the day, save the world, and save the life of the little girl.

http://voices.yahoo.com/castle-prese...-10994362.html
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 02:58 PM   #96
Data Holmes
Admiral

Im N Ur Childhoodz wrote: View Post
Death wrote: View Post

Maybe it already has and this wasn't the neo-Fascist's first attempt to incite a global war by altering past events and eliminating some of their enemies by getting them to fight each other:

The conspiracy depicted in an episode of "Castle" from last week, "Pandora," and concluded on Monday in "Linchpin" garners a number of kudos for originality.

The conspiracy involved the use of the theories of a social scientist named Nelson Blakely, a kind of Bruce Bueno de Mesquita character, who can predict future events and even influence them with mathematics. Blakely has developed an idea called "linchpin" which supposes that a minor event can lead to much larger ones, changing the course of world history. It is an actual concept derived from game theory, used to help negotiate diplomatic agreements and form business partnerships.

The two main characters, Richard Castle, a writer of murder mysteries, and Kate Beckett, a tough New York detective, are recruited by an old flame of Castle's, Sophia Turner, a CIA spy master. The case involves someone who is presumed to be a rogue CIA operative who is connected with a plot to bring down the American economy using Blakely's theories.

The story has some twists, turns, and red herrings. The upshot is that the linchpin is the 10-year-old daughter of an important Chinese official. The plot is to kill the little girl in an apparent botched attempt to kill the official, blaming the killing on the United States. The Chinese official then would influence the Beijing government to stop buying American debt in retaliation. The economy of the United States collapses. The austerity measures required to repair the damage would severely limit America's ability to keep the peace. Russia, China, the Middle Eastern terrorists, and a lot of other powers would run wild, starting a global war.

The party behind the plot is suggested to be East European interests, which can be taken to mean Russia's Vladmir Putin. This is buttressed by the fact that there is a mole inside the CIA who started out as a KGB plant, now working for the conspiracy.

Of course Castle and Beckett save the day, save the world, and save the life of the little girl.

http://voices.yahoo.com/castle-prese...-10994362.html
You know, I thought about that. Specifically that two parter and the Beckett's mom story line. Both could play into an overarching temporal war story line...
Old October 25 2013, 03:48 PM   #97
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

I thought everyone knew its part of the temporal cold war arc that started in Enterprise...
Old October 26 2013, 12:01 AM   #98
Sheep
Vice Admiral

intrinsical wrote: View Post
I thought everyone knew its part of the temporal cold war arc that started in Enterprise...
Maybe the appearances of Tim Russ, Michael Dorn, Armin Shimerman and the other Trek actors who have popped up over the show's run isn't a coincidence.
Old October 27 2013, 09:37 AM   #99
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

If Castle starts writing on the wall in an asylum i'm outta here..
Old October 28 2013, 07:01 PM   #100
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Well, the lifestyle of Pi has him halfway there, so I wouldn't be surprised. :P

Following on last week's adventures, we have a full-on Da Vinci Code tribute this week. That improbable sort of adventure is fun, and fun without characters too. Marked the killer early on though, so if not for the adventure it would have been a fairly pedestrian show. Swordfights are always fun though, and the brief one here is pretty exciting and well-executed, and even though it's been a while it is perfectly in line with what Castle has been seen doing.

And as annoying as Pi is meant to be, I'm happy at this divergence from the usual "Alexis does something Castle freaks out about but they reconcile by then end of the episode" thing. I want Pi gone as much as Castle, and I'm just as flabbergasted that Alexis would go for that kind of guy after her previous flirtations with various A+ students... I've got a 3 year-old at home though and I sympathize at eventually having to deal with this. :P

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 09:23 AM   #101
TimmyWl
Commodore

I watched the episode. It was really funny in the mystery... but then the whole thing with Alexis was rather cold. The episode didn't end the usual way. Maybe this whole Pi thing maybe the new 'season arc' that the writers are using in order to replace the Castle/Beckett courtship.
TimmyWl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 01:26 PM   #102
Forbin
Admiral

Two sad-about-Alexis endings in a row.

An ancient crypt in NYC!
Just how ancient can that be? 200 or so years? We're never as impressive as Europe or the Middle East with those things.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 03:03 PM   #103
Christopher
Writer

Forbin wrote: View Post
An ancient crypt in NYC!
Just how ancient can that be? 200 or so years? We're never as impressive as Europe or the Middle East with those things.
Well, the coins were allegedly minted under George Washington, so probably about 230-plus years.

The hidden-treasure stuff was kind of silly, and the cross-promotion for Disney's National Treasure franchise was annoying, but what I really found implausible here was the swordfighting. It's hard to believe that an actor trained in stage swordfighting, which is carefully choreographed and stylized, could get into a fight with someone who thought he was really fighting for his life without at least one of them realizing that they weren't on the same page. Is it even possible to do swordfighting improv?

Old October 29 2013, 05:26 PM   #104
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

It was fun for what it was, but two of these silly episodes in a row is enough. I hope they get into some darker cases during sweeps month. I like how Alexis didn't just give in at the end, it's nice to see that she's not just Daddy's little girl anymore. I'm with Castle though on what a jackass Pi is, but I guess he is good for Alexis' character growth.
Old October 29 2013, 05:31 PM   #105
Christopher
Writer

This did feel like a self-conscious caricature of a Castle episode, to the point of actually having Castle say "I'm the one who makes up crazy theories."